Water Blues

H

humbert

I live about 14k outside Sangkha in small, primitive village. The locals here speak Suwai and they barely speak Thai so I cannot sort things out easily with the people who run the water supply system.
I have a system that uses water from the village which goes through a filter, holding tank, pump and then into the house taps.
With unwelcome frequency the village water supply is turned off for periods up to 2 or three days. When it comes back on it is brown and smelly. The reservoir here is overflowing so I assume that it's not about supply. I reckon it is about their pump but nobody has any answers as to why this is happening.
I think the only solution is to install a well. My question is; will I need another pump for the well which connects to my system before the filter etc.? Is there a cut off switch on these well pumps that senses when the reserve tank is full so it stops pumping?
I would appreciate comments from anyone who has any experience with this kind of problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live about 14k outside Sangkha in small, primitive village. The locals here speak Suwai and they barely speak Thai so I cannot sort things out easily with the people who run the water supply system.
I have a system that uses water from the village which goes through a filter, holding tank, pump and then into the house taps.
With unwelcome frequency the village water supply is turned off for periods up to 2 or three days. When it comes back on it is brown and smelly. The reservoir here is overflowing so I assume that it's not about supply. I reckon it is about their pump but nobody has any answers as to why this is happening.
I think the only solution is to install a well. My question is; will I need another pump for the well which connects to my system before the filter etc.? Is there a cut off switch on these well pumps that senses when the reserve tank is full so it stops pumping?
I would appreciate comments from anyone who has any experience with this kind of problem.

I had the same problem 12 years ago.

Had a deep bore done (44 metres deep) with a deep well pump. Current cost around 15,000baht inclusive.

I have never had any need for a holding tank. Just turn on the taps and the pump sucks up and delivers the water. Never had any problems and always have clean water with a strong supply.

I had the same problem 12 years ago.

Had a deep bore done (44 metres deep) with a deep well pump. Current cost around 15,000baht inclusive.

I have never had any need for a holding tank. Just turn on the taps and the pump sucks up and delivers the water. Never had any problems and always have clean water with a strong supply.

I think I can run the line from the deep bore to intersect before my existing pump and use that to draw the water directly into the house. I can then use my existing system from the village, tank etc. as a back up.

As Nick has said, you will need to have a borehole drilled and install a deep well
pump to extract the water from the ground. We had the same problems as you a few years back and had the borehole drilled. My pump delivers the water to a 2000 ltr holding tank, this has a float valve fitted so cuts off the pump when full.
the water is delivered to the house by another pump that draws from this tank.
The reason for the holding tank, was as we have around 7 people living in the house
the borehole pump on it's own sometimes struggled to supply enough water at peak
shower times. The installation of the tank and second pump has cured that.
This system has worked fine for several years now, don't know how we survived without it. Just use the village water for the garden now.

I think I can run the line from the deep bore to intersect before my existing pump and use that to draw the water directly into the house. I can then use my existing system from the village, tank etc. as a back up.

Forgot to mention, we also did that.

Might I suggest to install a couple of stop valves one on each inlet line. This way you can decide where're to use village of well waste.

All good points above.

Humbert,

Note however that your current domestic pump will not be able to deliver water from the bore. You will need a deep well pump (circa 8000baht on its own), to which as you say, you can intersect the flow line to pump to the house.

When there is a power cut (as we had last night) I was able to switch to the village supply for immediate bathing needs.

Thanks guys, you have covered all my questions. I would green you but this is the wrong forum for that.

All good points above.

Humbert,

Note however that your current domestic pump will not be able to deliver water from the bore. You will need a deep well pump (circa 8000baht on its own), to which as you say, you can intersect the flow line to pump to the house.

When there is a power cut (as we had last night) I was able to switch to the village supply for immediate bathing needs.

Do you have your line from the well intersecting before your domestic pump? If so I assume you have some kind of bypass installed that allows you to use the village water without a pump if electricity is temporarily lost?

All good points above.

Humbert,

PC is this pump in the boar or is it above ground? Have never seen a deep boar pump for less than 19000 baht and requires a 4 inch boar. Cost is about 50,000 baht. 15,000 baht would only give you a 2 inch boar and aboveground jet pump. This 15k is the normal setup threw out Thailand.

Deep well pump mine cost aroun 30.000Be carfull don't get Chinees copy pump USA or Italian

I was hopping you would be along and you have. A good submersible pump in my book is about 35K. What the OP is talking about is not a deep bore as these jet pumps SUCK down to only about 120 meters and after that your sol. A submersible pushes the waters uo as they are lowered into the boar and require a 4 inch bore or larger.

PC is this pump in the boar or is it above ground? Have never seen a deep boar pump for less than 19000 baht and requires a 4 inch boar. Cost is about 50,000 baht. 15,000 baht would only give you a 2 inch boar and aboveground jet pump. This 15k is the normal setup threw out Thailand.

GL Kap Choeng is clearly not the place to shop.

In my and neighbouring villages, the complete job is done for 14/15,000baht including a deep well pump. At least 10 people in my village have had it installed and everyone is completely satisfied.

Why would you want such a big bore for domestic use?

My bore supplies my 2 storey house with very good pressure, and provids water to cocks throughout my 1.25 rai, again with very strong pressure. I think the bore is 1" and yes the pump is above ground.

Humbert, My pump and bore setup is much the same as Nick's.About four years now I think. No problems You are very welcome to come and have a look. Happy to take you to the shop where I bought the pump in Surin.

GL Kap Choeng is clearly not the place to shop.

In my and neighbouring villages, the complete job is done for 14/15,000baht including a deep well pump. At least 10 people in my village have had it installed and everyone is completely satisfied.

Why would you want such a big bore for domestic use?

My bore supplies my 2 storey house with very good pressure, and provids water to cocks throughout my 1.25 rai, again with very strong pressure. I think the bore is 1" and yes the pump is above ground.

You do not have a deep boar pump you have a jet pump. A deep boar pump is a submersible pump and you can not buy those for less than 19k as I have stated and ATB has confirmed. I also have a jet pump setup at our house that takes care 8 rai the boar is 2 inches and it to was only 12 k in 2007. A deep boar or sub will cost 50k to 80k.

The photo is similar to what you have.

Deep-Well-Jet-Pump-CPM158-.jpg

All the DIY stores in Surin sell the sub or deep well pumps along with the jet pumps. You village local villege hardware normally do not sell deep well pumps.

Last edited:
You do not have a deep boar pump you have a jet pump. A deep boar pump is a submersible pump and you can not buy those for less than 19k as I have stated and ATB has confirmed. I also have a jet pump setup at our house that takes care 8 rai the boar is 2 inches and it to was only 12 k in 2007. A deep boar or sub will cost 50k to 80k.

The photo is similar to what you have.

Deep-Well-Jet-Pump-CPM158-.jpg

All the DIY stores in Surin sell the sub or deep well pumps along with the jet pumps. You village local villege hardware normally do not sell deep well pumps.

Nothing like your photo

I have a Lucky Star Electric Deep Well Pump I have seen them in Buriram at around 8000bt,. My one was bought in the local Prakhonchai hardware shop some 12 years ago, and I think the price was 6,500baht (albeit part of the complete package price of around 14,000baht.

Its a jet pump and works on sucking the water up Not pushing. The labeling is totally false. You don't get a deep well pump and 4 inch boar for 12 to 15 k.

Its a jet pump and works on sucking the water up Not pushing. The labeling is totally false. You don't get a deep well pump and 4 inch boar for 12 to 15 k.

Back