New Hotel in City

W

Wombat

Does anyone have any information about the new hotel being built in the city near the train station. It is sort of opposite the yellow bank near the train station. It appears to be a huge complex with traditional Thai styling, lots of wood being used. Looks really interesting.

Called chang elephant museum near kitung coffee shoppe. No clue as tò when it will open.

It is now being styled the Elephant Knowledge Park. The owner/developer is a Surin business man/influential person. His wife runs the Kid Teung Coffee Shop where I meet up with friends to put the world to rights most mornings.
The development has been underway for more than three years. The Boss plays his cards very close to his chest when asked about the time-line. He recently told me that the Museum part (Knowledge Park) could be open within a year but the rest maybe another two or three. He is certainly taking his time and having the work done to a very high standard. As you said, Wombat, lots of wood.
As well as the Knowledge Park there will be a boutique hotel, a shopping centre (the escalators are already installed!) and a multi-story car-park.
As regular readers will know, Air Asia now use this site as their Buri Ram airport shuttle bus pick up and drop off point.

It is now being styled the Elephant Knowledge Park. The owner/developer is a Surin business man/influential person. His wife runs the Kid Teung Coffee Shop where I meet up with friends to put the world to rights most mornings.
The development has been underway for more than three years. The Boss plays his cards very close to his chest when asked about the time-line. He recently told me that the Museum part (Knowledge Park) could be open within a year but the rest maybe another two or three. He is certainly taking his time and having the work done to a very high standard. As you said, Wombat, lots of wood.
As well as the Knowledge Park there will be a boutique hotel, a shopping centre (the escalators are already installed!) and a multi-story car-park.
As regular readers will know, Air Asia now use this site as their Buri Ram airport shuttle bus pick up and drop off point.

This has been on going project for about 5 years and I'm pretty sure the owner is an X Surin heavy wight politician. IMHO Surin hotel needs are in the crapper.

This has been on going project for about 5 years and I'm pretty sure the owner is an X Surin heavy wight politician. IMHO Surin hotel needs are in the crapper.

Indeed, GL, he was a very heavyweight politician. He is clearly now a millionaire (these two facts may or may not be related!) and is building something with great style and quality that will be a lasting additional to Surin's amenities. I don't think he is concerned about whether his hotel makes money or not as he already has plenty....another influential person in Surin told me that this whole project is just designed to give something back to the city that has made him so successful.

Incidentally, the man and his wife have three adopted daughters. Make of that what you will but, for me, it indicates the kind of people they are. My personal experience is that they are very jai dee.

T

Thanks for your detailed reply John.

The owner/developer is a Surin business man/influential person. His wife runs the Kid Teung Coffee Shop where I meet up with friends to put the world to rights most mornings.

Heck he owns the coffee shop and IMO he has the best bakery for sweets in the Surin area. We just had 2 chocolate cakes from Kid Teung.

file004MA29538908-0021.gif~c200

re: adoption
JB , have not many expats taken care - adopted (in reality as not in legal sense) the children of others ?

(In some cases the whole family too.)

I agree wholeheartedly - very jai dee as 'kindness never goes bad'. (Just ask my Grandma aka Grandmum.)

I've heard they get their bakery goods from a bakery in Buriram delivered daily. I like their coffees, and like the ambiance of the outdoor plaza with all the ivy style plants hanging down. Nice cool area, which incidentally is a great place in the mornings for eye candy. I believe he, the owner's hubby, was once a governor of Surin province.

OK, I give up, now that you mention eye candy, where is this bakery?

It's the Kittueng Coffee shop and bakery sales good place with the large elephant statues out front, close by the train depot.

Eye candy abounds in the places considered the 'place to be seen' by the 'hip' young chicks showing it off for the well off middle and upper class studs. Which is a good place for us older gents to get an eyeful as well. Be discrete, please. :)

Eye candy abounds in the places considered the 'place to be seen' by the 'hip' young chicks showing it off for the well off middle and upper class studs. Which is a good place for us older gents to get an eyeful as well. Be discrete, please. :)

WHAT?:smilingimp: No grabbing a hand full.:D

Where its always been. South of the train station about 85 meters. GPS 14.8904908896, 103.494186451

Found it I think. GL, your GPS numbers seem a bit out, I have the location as 14.53.......and 103.29........... Not that I know much about GPS stuff.

Found it I think. GL, your GPS numbers seem a bit out, I have the location as 14.53.......and 103.29........... Not that I know much about GPS stuff.

The GPS coordinates are spot on. They have JB's seat pinpointed.

Back