What is Grandma's life worth ?

Coffee

You chose a custom title
received_539864416495965.jpeg received_398657447348220.jpeg
Struck by a vehicle on the street and hospitalized in a coma for ten nights...then dead.
The driver of the vehicle has admitted to being in the wrong.
Take a guess- what do you think a 64-year-old grandmother's life is worth ?
The answer just might surprise you.

Last edited:
ignoring any 'village insurance' that may be in excess of 200,000 Baht, I would guess the number would be south of 50k.

My wife's father was killed about 8 years ago, struck head-on by a truck while he was on his moto-cy. Instant goner. If I recall correctly the truck's insurance paid 350,000 baht for the loss. The funeral and subsequent cremation went on for 9 days.

Poor lady, RIP.
It would depend on the negotiating skills of Grandma's family and the wealth of the driver.
My wife gets called upon often by other families in the village to negotiate dowries and compensation. She does not bow down to authority and is not easily intimidated.

Poor lady, RIP.
It would depend on the negotiating skills of Grandma's family and the wealth of the driver.
My wife gets called upon often by other families in the village to negotiate dowries and compensation. She does not bow down to authority and is not easily intimidated.

In other words Mrs Wombat has been Australianfied. Mine too. Can be a problem at times. :rolleyes:

However much the answer is, it isn't enough, as no amount of compensation can replace the life of a lady who was loved so much by her family.

It would be reassuring to know that she knew little, if anything, about the collision, and that she suffered no pain because of her coma.

R.I.P. Khun Yai Lek

A very nice sentiment, Merlin.

In Thailand there seems to be a 'need' to wrap up accidental liability justice without entering a Courtroom.

A party admits guilt on a roadway and apparently the world keeps spinning whenever someone steps off.
I'll see if the total costs of her funeral are reimbursed.

Her hospital bill for hospital ambulance, emergency room and ten nights ICU care was under US$300 for a Thai citizen. Amazing Thailand.

My wife's father was killed about 8 years ago, struck head-on by a truck while he was on his moto-cy. Instant goner. If I recall correctly the truck's insurance paid 350,000 baht for the loss. The funeral and subsequent cremation went on for 9 days.

Did the funeral rites go on for 9 days because of the 350k - or were they already planned for 9 days ?

It was a combination of a few things, bad days to do this, bad day to do that...etc., but I think the money helped to extend the length of time, for sure. There was an awful lot of "food-to-go" as well.

20190610_142555.jpgThe payout may have covered all the funeral rites over one hundred days.

(Of course the cheque goes to the eldest brother so darling doesn't recieve a satang of reimbursement.
No worries as out of respect I provide what I can afford to lose understanding she was my MIL.)

Continue to RIP Yai.

Did the funeral rites go on for 9 days because of the 350k - or were they already planned for 9 days ?

I am aware that Thai funerals can extend to 3, 4 or 5 days and even more. However, I've yet to come across a Farang funeral that has lasted more than the one day. Perhaps the wife learnt some frugality from her former husband?

I am aware that Thai funerals can extend to 3, 4 or 5 days and even more. However, I've yet to come across a Farang funeral that has lasted more than the one day. Perhaps the wife learnt some frugality from her former husband?
Not sure I understand your post Yorkie, this was the funeral for my Thai wife's father...a Thai. What could my wife have learned about frugality? The funeral lasted many, many days.

Not sure I understand your post Yorkie, this was the funeral for my Thai wife's father...a Thai. What could my wife have learned about frugality? The funeral lasted many, many days.

I appreciate that. But the Thai wife is generally "in charge" of the Farang husband's funeral which, in my experience, lasts no longer than a day.

Back