Power points

FERET

Surin relic
Can anyone help me to locate where I can buy some decent quality power points ?.
The usual garden variety Thai points are nothing but crap.;;scorn;;;;scorn;;;;scorn;;

When I have replaced some of the original power points in the house, or added supplementary points, I have used HACO wall sockets. This is a Thai company. IMO these are a better quality than the usual electrical fittings found in many houses. They are available from HomePro, Surin, or you can order online. HACO wall sockets and the like are also available from Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q...spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.52367c8cR5zZX6 .

View attachment 27866

View attachment 27867

That was a real good presentation @nomad97. :p

Be very careful how many sockets you install. When I finished the conversion of my current home there were a total of some 85 sockets. Placed purely for convenience, with never any intention of using all of them at once. Some have NEVER been used

When the PEA electric people came to inspect (and of course I did not install them -my electrician did as required by Thai law) I was told the maximum number allowed in a home was around 30 and I would be fined for the excess. The PEA man went round the house , counted some 70 sockets, and charged me the huge fine of 6 baht for each excess socket!

Be very careful how many sockets you install. When I finished the conversion of my current home there were a total of some 85 sockets. Placed purely for convenience, with never any intention of using all of them at once. Some have NEVER been used

When the PEA electric people came to inspect (and of course I did not install them -my electrician did as required by Thai law) I was told the maximum number allowed in a home was around 30 and I would be fined for the excess. The PEA man went round the house , counted some 70 sockets, and charged me the huge fine of 6 baht for each excess socket!
Thanks mate, I only want to change the exhisting crap, maybe 12.

When I built my place I had 5 twins installed in the kitchen plus the built in cooker hood which are perfectly adequate (we cook on gas). However, in the lounge I considered 4 twins were sufficient, one in each corner. In three of the corners they are but initially I had a TV and a cheap stereo unit in the fourth corner which later grew with the addition of satellite box, receiver, cassette deck, 2 x DVD players and sub-woofer. Welcome to the world of plug bars.

[All the twins are on the ring main but one of each socket is a spur].

Given that all the DIY stores sell what are effectively "illegal" European plugs on many appliances I cannot image that they would give a shit! Bottom left.

plugs s.jpg

Can anyone advise if the PEA will have a problem if I install Aussie sockets as well as Thai?

Thailand appears to be the wild west to most as adherence to standards, it is well, a bit strained at best. But having said that. Thailand does have strict wiring code. Would you believe.?
As long as you use any "Approved" device you are on the right side of the law. I would not advise using Australian power points as they are not approved.
In the unlikely event of an accident with an unapproved device, you will be hung out to dry. This goes for house insurance as well.

Given that all the DIY stores sell what are effectively "illegal" European plugs on many appliances I cannot image that they would give a shit! Bottom left.
View attachment 32847

It all depends on the standard of the device. Most devices in Thailand are double insulated, which do not require an earth.

But they have an earth? The ones with those plugs fitted.

The device is earthed ? As in a wire is attached to the chassis of the device that actually leads all the way to an earth pin on a plug? Most houses in Thailand have not got earth wires running to a socket anyway. Feret has a washing machine that gave him mild shocks. I tested it and found there was some kind of earth leakage in the double insulated system and advised him to have it earthed. So he did. Here is the funny part. He called an electro chicken that told his mrs the same thing and he promtly hit the machine with a hammer in the top front corner smashing of the corner. He then connected an earth wire to it there and threw a wire out of the window to an earth stake. The electro chicken could of just run a new power flex to the macne as the power socket was earthed. SHEESH! :confused::mad:

Last edited:
The device is earthed ? As in a wire is attached to the chassis of the device that actually leads all the way to an earth pin on a plug? Most houses in Thailand have not got earth wires running to a socket anyway.

Universal_plug_large.png

Yes that is a nice plug! But is the device chassis connected to those earth points?
If not you have a non sequitur argument. You will probably find devices supplied with this type of plug in Thailand are double insulated.
I know this goes against the complete narrative of Thailand incompetence, but they just do not supply/sell devices like this.

What happens in the home after is up to them. Ever heard of manufactures/retailers of selling dangerous goods that were sourced or made in Thailand?
It is always illegal imported crap from China.

Can anyone advise if the PEA will have a problem if I install Aussie sockets as well as Thai?
PEA does not inspect your house on this subject so it will be up to you what you install. Best as others have pointed out to go with local options. The order Thai building will not have a ground BUT just about all others do.

These are the leads which were supplied with my "Houseworth" halogen oven (left) and my "Phillips" rice cooker (right). As they are interchangeable I use the right hand lead for both.

Our "LG" microwave is fitted with a three pin plug wired direct into the appliance as is our "LG" washing machine. Other appliances (e.g. Tefal toaster and Tefal kettle) are fitted with the European type plug. All the computers that I've had (desktops and laptops) are/have been supplied with similar cables to the one on the right except in black colour.

electric leads s.jpg

Last edited:
PEA does not inspect your house on this subject so it will be up to you what you install. Best as others have pointed out to go with local options. The order Thai building will not have a ground BUT just about all others do.

They do when they connect a new dwelling up to the pole for the first time. They actually don't like it when things explode in their face. For some strange reason! :eek:

Back