Solar Gate Light

nomad97

Resident Geek
Last week I 'stole' the power lead to the gate security light and redirected it to the new well pump. I have now replaced the 10W mains security light with a 25W solar security light. It comes with a remote control with options for on/off, automatic, 3 hours, 5 hours, all night and full 25W or half power. Get to see how it works tonight.

DSCN2146.JPG
DSCN2147.JPG

Not too shabby for 488 baht.

I remember when Kevin bought a number of solar lights to position alongside his driveway. They were just about bright enough to mark the route. I trust that they've become better since.

Is it LED?
It most certainly is:

upload_2019-8-21_17-45-55.png

The red light flashes, presumably to show that the unit is active. The cable linking the solar cells to the light fitting is, I understand, 5 meters long. This allows for the light to be fitted under the eve of a building in the shade yet position the solar panel in direct sunlight.

I posted a question 30 minutes ago, as to where the solar light was bought from. Do not see my post! Perhaps Nomad could kindly advise.

It most certainly is:

What made me think was the fact that you changed a 10W bulb (type unknown) for a 25W bulb. The consensus on here appears to indicate that you should step down a number of Watts when changing to LED. Not that I did though.

I posted a question 30 minutes ago, as to where the solar light was bought from. Do not see my post! Perhaps Nomad could kindly advise.

Why do you think Nomad would know where your post has gone....................?

Why do you think Nomad would know where your post has gone....................?

Nomad understood my post (no 5) perfectly well. He answered the question raised in my missing post, as I intended, and not where my post had gone. :p:rolleyes:

And thank you Nomad for your answer. I should of course have realised what the answer would be. Nomad is in cahoots with Lazada. :)

What made me think was the fact that you changed a 10W bulb (type unknown) for a 25W bulb. The consensus on here appears to indicate that you should step down a number of Watts when changing to LED. Not that I did though.
The previous gate light was a 220v x 12W LED spot. In contrast, the new LED light is battery powered, voltage unknown, and rated as 25W. Comparing the two LEDs, the mains powered 12W light is nearly as powerful as the 25W battery powered LED.

DSCN2149.JPG

DSCN2155.JPG

(Please excuse focus)

Last edited:
Conclusion, the solar powered light seems adequate for this particular job. How long the rechargeable battery will last remains to be seen. However, given that there is no operating cost (free sunlight), and the unit costs about the same as a mains 220v LED spot light (electricity at cost), it seems good value for money. Finally, this type of solar lighting may offer a cost-effective solution to some who do not have mains electricity available for lighting drives and gateways or anywhere else for that matter.:D:D:D

P.S. My rough calculation for a mains powered 12W unit is an annual consumption of 52 units, based on 12 hours a day, 365 days a year. This would equate to an annual running cost of some 230 baht. Provided the solar powered units keeps going for the next 2 years it effectively pays for itself.

Last edited:
Back