One Year Extension based on Retirement - Money in the bank; 2 months before AND 3 months after.

CO-CO

Rather wrinkly & occasionally cantankerous member
I thought that this was just a quirk dreamed up by Jomtien Immigration.

I like to make myself aware of rules/criteria so I can avoid falling foul of them. I try to find official reference points such as the Thai Immigration website:-

Criteria for Consideration
Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
Must be 50 years of age or over.
Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
On the filing date, the applicant must have account deposited (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.
Documents to be submitted
Application form
Copy of applicant’s passport
Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
Account deposited (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 stated above.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

Nothing in there about 3 months after.............................however, Ubon Joe. ASEAN NOW posted this:-

Immigration has not updated their website since a amendment to clause 2.22 of the immigration order went into effect on March 1st 2019. See: Police Order 35/2562 Changing 327/2557 Clause 2.22

image.png.6ac5dc92aede54b868b370bfc14a5404.png

Just quoting the updated rules for clarity - as we know, each Immigration office apply their own rules.

I thought that this was just a quirk dreamed up by Jomtien Immigration.

Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 stated above.

It would be beneficial for folks of my age if the "Criterion" and the "Clauses" were numbered for clarity.

For the past three years (at least) when applying for my extension the IO has inspected my bank passbook past pages (covering up to 5 years) which I presume was to confirm that I hadn't withdrawn any of the ฿800,000.00 during the 3 month period following the granting of my last extension. Although, of course, I could be wrong.

How does the online 90 day reporting deal with this?
I know of friends getting a slip stapled in thier passports, asking for evidence on next report date after extention is granted.

I know of friends getting a slip stapled in thier passports, asking for evidence on next report date after extention is granted.

It's not happened to me (yet). Perhaps you should check with them when the time comes for their 90 day report?

It would be beneficial for folks of my age if the "Criterion" and the "Clauses" were numbered for clarity.

For the past three years (at least) when applying for my extension the IO has inspected my bank passbook past pages (covering up to 5 years) which I presume was to confirm that I hadn't withdrawn any of the ฿800,000.00 during the 3 month period following the granting of my last extension. Although, of course, I could be wrong.

Click on my link and you will find the numbers (22 I think in this case).

90 day reporting is totally unrelated and should be done online.

90 day reports will almost never match extension dates and any IO offering to do a 90 day report, at the same time, is doing you no favours.

"Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date."

Has anyone tried to do this in Surin?
I find transferring 50,000 baht per month from the UK more than adequate which should mean I only need to maintain 200k in a deposit account.

If the basis of your extension is 'retirement' you can look at the 'combined' basis.

In your situation I would probably speak to Immigration about your plans - and I would probably take the balance down in 2 stages (to 400k year 1, 200k+ in year 2).

90 day reporting is totally unrelated and should be done online.

90 day reports will almost never match extension dates and any IO offering to do a 90 day report, at the same time, is doing you no favours.
As explained, this does not relate to my circumstance (at present) but when nearing the end of your 12 month extention, your last 90 day report date cannot be after expiry, so terminates at the same date as your outgoing extention. At which point, your given a new 90 report date AND instructions to prove monies in bank (as mentioned previously). That's what collegues have to do in SSK in person.
What 'should be done' and what can be done, are sometimes different.

Last edited:
As explained, this does not relate to my circumstance (at present) but when nearing the end of your 12 month extention, your last 90 day report date cannot be after expiry, so terminates at the same date as your outgoing extention. At which point, your given a new 90 report date AND instructions to prove monies in bank (as mentioned previously). That's what collegues have to do in SSK in person.
What 'should be done' and what can be done, are sometimes different.
@Ivor the Engine ..the above is incorrect.

90 day address reporting has nothing to do with extension

My expiry date was 19th June.

On 4th April I did a 90 day report, with the next report date advised as 2nd July

@Ivor the Engine ..the above is incorrect.

90 day address reporting has nothing to do with extension

My expiry date was 19th June.

On 4th April I did a 90 day report, with the next report date advised as 2nd July

I have, in the past, had on-line next 90 day report dates stipulated at a date subsequent to the expiry of my extension of stay. However, when I have reported in person, the IO has ensured that, where relevant, the next report date was specified as the same date as the expiry of my current extension (notwithstanding the number of days).

I have, in the past, had on-line next 90 day report dates stipulated at a date subsequent to the expiry of my extension of stay. However, when I have reported in person, the IO has ensured that, where relevant, the next report date was specified as the same date as the expiry of my current extension (notwithstanding the number of days).
Exactly!

Back