Presentation by HM Consul from British Embassy in BKK

A partial yes, I have just watched the first 10 minutes or so, watched being the operative word. I could not hear a single word spoken by the gentleman. And I am sorry, while I could hear the lady in question, what a load of waffles! There is no chance that I can sit through a further 1 hour and 23 minutes of that.
Agree entirely

Finding someone you can trust in Thailand is the problem
Sadly, not just Thailand.

Many UK husbands of Thai ladies, have been badly let down following their death by their UK siblings and children, who rather than assisting their widows, have done all possible to obtain the assets for themselves, and in several cases, having a deep loathing for the widows, have taken steps to prevent the widow from receiving their late husbands occupational pension. In one case I was able to claim a back pension after 6 years when it came to light.. One brother kept £90,000 he felt was due to him as he was left a share of a house. However the house was sold 5 years before death and formed no part of the estate. Successfully claimed it back for the widow.. Another cashed in his deceased's brothers £10,000 premium bonds. Got it back + later winnings! :)

Be careful who you think you can rely upon.

Discussed that very fact just yesterday, with a widow who wants to sell the house in the UK she recently inherited, and will likely need one for the solicitor she will appoint to sell the house on her behalf
Indeed.

My point was about dealings in Thailand for Farangs. I can't imagine Nomad, or any other member on here, requiring a POA for anything.

I can't think of many situations that would require a Power of Attorney.

The example given in the video is one that I have encountered myself with my Mother's Alzheimer. Once someone is incapacitated by something like dementia it is then too late for them to grant Power of Attorney to someone else to act on their behalf as they can no longer claim to be of sound mind.

The example given in the video is one that I have encountered myself with my Mother's Alzheimer. Once someone is incapacitated by something like dementia it is then too late for them to grant Power of Attorney to someone else to act on their behalf as they can no longer claim to be of sound mind.
I am sure that would not be a problem here in Thailand

And did they?

Due to down staffing and budget cuts the embassy now concentrates their efforts on trying to help Brits in real difficulties. Routine inquires are diverted using a local number to a call center in the UK.

This example was given of a situation that was avoidable and it ended up with the embassy. The full details and final outcome were not explained.

I'm not going to answer anymore questions about what was in the video.

@Mods I think it's time to close this thread to any further comments

Bander, I believe from past explanations that the whinging, whining and moaning was what an expat forum was expressly for. :cool:

(Screw the Thais too can be found easily enough , eh. :p )

Due to down staffing and budget cuts the embassy now concentrates their efforts on trying to help Brits in real difficulties. Routine inquires are diverted using a local number to a call center in the UK.

This example was given of a situation that was avoidable and it ended up with the embassy. The full details and final outcome were not explained.

I'm not going to answer anymore questions about what was in the video.

With respect @Bandersnatch , I don't think you are in any way required to field questions and provide answers. However members should still be permitted to voice their views and opinions on this thread about the Embassy.

The British Embassy in Bangkok​

Like all foreign Embassies and Consulates around the World the British Embassy has a major role dealing with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Thailand.

They also have a professional visa issuing department and a fully manned Consular section providing help to British Citizens living and on holiday in Thailand and surrounding areas.

The British Embassy in Bangkok is a hive of activity on a daily basis helping foreigners in distress and also issuing visas for foreign Nationals wishing to travel to the UK for many reasons including tourism and settlement mainly for Thai Nationals.

keyvisathailand.com

The British Embassy in Bangkok​

Like all foreign Embassies and Consulates around the World the British Embassy has a major role dealing with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Thailand.

They also have a professional visa issuing department and a fully manned Consular section providing help to British Citizens living and on holiday in Thailand and surrounding areas.

The British Embassy in Bangkok is a hive of activity on a daily basis helping foreigners in distress and also issuing visas for foreign Nationals wishing to travel to the UK for many reasons including tourism and settlement mainly for Thai Nationals.

keyvisathailand.com
Something new then! Sarcasm!

Last edited:
Back