Rain?

I had driven past the spot, in the dry, the day earlier coming back from Kap Choeng. I recognised the scene immediately. It does tend to be the place where cars speed up a little and are often doing in excess of 90 kph.
Google street view shows rice at 16.50 per kilo.:rolleyes::D

Reading the article in Thai about the smash.
It left the vehicles. .. .. .. What's that Thai word? I don't know.
New word for me .Rubdub? (wrinkled).

Really. o_Oo_Oo_O

When aquaplaning is possible, there are several factor that will determine whether or not a skid will happen.
Water on the road is a given:

Speed of the vehicle. Anything over 50 mph or 80 kph in wet road conditions.
Depth of the water on the road: Anything over 1/10th of an inch, or 0.24 cm. is at least sufficient.
Depth of the tyre tread: The minimum tread depth in the UK is 2mm for a reason.
Width of the tyre v weight of the vehicle: The wider the tyre, the more likely the vehicle is to "float" on the water. If the vehicle is light, it floats more than if it is heavy.
If the aggregate in the tarmac is coarse, one is less likely to skid than if it is fine.

Puddles are seldom of uniform size of depth. One a vehicle enters a puddle, it is more likely to swerve if only one tyre on an axle is partially submerged. A tyre rolling on a dry surface is not dragged by the water on a wet surface

On entering water that is of sufficient depth, at speed, a tyre that has little tread, will ride on the surface of the water instead of on the tarmac surface. Instant loss of friction ( aka traction) is the result.
Once the tyre loses contact with the road surface, no amount of steering input or cadence braking will restore grip, unless at least one of the other 3 tyres is in direct contact with the tarmac.

The sensation is exactly that of riding once smooth ice. (Ice is not slippery! It is the water on the ice - melted or otherwise - that is slippery. Try it with an ice cube from the freezer. You can hold the cube securely until there is water between the cube and your finger.)

If all four tyres (Reliant Robins and motorcy are therefore exempt!) are aquaplaning, CO-CO's "feet off the pedals" is the way to go until some grip is regained. Puddles can be short, and sawing the wheel can cause an uncontrollable swerve when grip is suddenly restored after the vehicle has left the puddle, as indeed can finding that the wheels have locked by braking! As grip is restored, particularly if the approaching scenery viewed through your side-window includes an Armco barrier, a tree, a pole or another vehicle on a collision course, then is the time to start steering again and braking to a halt for clean underwear.

Having raced cars on circuits for many years, one quickly learns the right and the wrong way to deal with aquaplaning. Some are better at it than others, which is why some wet-weather racers excel when their dry-weather competitors are in the pits changing from slicks or intermediates onto wets.

RIP the four people involved yesterday. Both drivers should have been in their left hand lanes, irrespective of the bad habits demonstrated daily by most people on Thai roads. The four of them might still be alive if the two drivers had kept to the law.

Where's the rain.:rolleyes:;;bad simle;;

It has been pulled north with the monsoon trough dragged by Amphan. Now we have to wait for it to weaken and come back south. I would say southern China along with Hong Kong would be very wet at the moment, while we are dry.

Brought to U by the fake news networks.:D

NO! Brought to you by me, that is my own forecast! Though albeit not fully qualified to do so. But to hell with it.
I did do half the course that they did. ****** Meteorologists about 20% of them world wide, were actually any good.
I bet things have not changed.

NO! Brought to you by me, that is my own forecast! Though albeit not fully qualified to do so. But to hell with it.
I did do half the course that they did. ****** Meteorologists about 20% of them world wide, were actually any good.
I bet things have not changed.

cheesy.gif

One of the men in the video - the younger one - said that he doesn't want the language to die out. It's a common enough problem in many other parts of the world too. My own first language, Welsh, is thought by many to be dying out (though it is easy to disprove that claim.) Several factors in common with Suay have been involved. Firstly, neither language has a vast resource of written text. Welsh was effectively banned by English law some centuries ago, and the books of the time were burnt, though some survived. Children were punished at their schools if heard to speak anything but English - a subject that few of them understood well enough to communicate with. Another video states that the Khmer Rouge forbade the use of Kui/Suay in Cambodia, and it was inevitable that, under duress, habits would change.

As both languages belonged to relatively poor groups, the advent of easier travel made access easier to more plentiful and better paid work elsewhere. As it has always been the younger generations that move away, when they return home, many have lost their mother tongue or become so unfamiliar with it that they use Thai instead (and English in Wales). Entertainment is a driving force too, with most media being in Thai here, and virtually none in Suay. In Wales, the language has survived in greater numbers partly because of the strong cultural traditions there, with two major festivals, both of which draw audiences from far afield, and in one case from all around the world where competitors wear their national costumes, which serves to preserve national identities and greater feelings of "belonging." Without such events, and as the older generation using the language fades away, the language itself becomes redundant. Why learn two or more languages when time and energy can be saved by learning just one? I don't wish to seem prejudiced, but as English is the "preferred" language in so many countries now, is it any wonder that most British people are monolingual now, as is the case, increasingly in Isaan, where dialects and so-called tribal languages (Suay etc) are being lost in favour of "Central" Thai?

Many will wonder why the Welsh have a bee in their bonnets about repression that is still exercised against their language, their people, their country and their culture. One answer may be found in this news article from a provincial newspaper today: https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/1...disgust-offensive-graffiti-scrawled-pavement/

Many will wonder why the Welsh have a bee in their bonnets about repression that is still exercised against their language, their people, their country and their culture. One answer may be found in this news article from a provincial newspaper today: https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/1...disgust-offensive-graffiti-scrawled-pavement/

That is out of order, and it is the first time I have seen a story about offensiveness in that direction. It would be the equivalent of a Farang writing the same about Thais on a Bangkok pavement.

I had always thought animosity went the other way and I have memories of reports about holiday homes in Wales being torched.

That is out of order, and it is the first time I have seen a story about offensiveness in that direction. It would be the equivalent of a Farang writing the same about Thais on a Bangkok pavement.

I had always thought animosity went the other way and I have memories of reports about holiday homes in Wales being torched.

Life is a two-way street, but while there must have been a beginning to cause the animosity, it is hard to imagine a way of ending it now, when it has been embedded in the minds of so many bigoted generations on both sides.

Must have rained some here last night. I noticed a puddle in the bed of my pick up truck this morning.

About the same here GL. Lots of swirling wind in the afternoon, almost a sandstorm at DoHome, but no rain.

We have had exactly what Ventusky forecast.......................I am therefore hopeful that their forecast for rain this evening will also be accurate.

Not likely, as Soi Kola has been closed up for quite a while.

Just because the lights out front are off on a Saturday night doesn't necessarily mean the doors are closed.
When is the last time you were on the Soi ?

Back