18 wheeler passenger killed on Prasat -Surin Rd

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title

An 18-wheel trailer truck veered off the road and crashed into a tree and power pole in Prasat district late on Monday night, killing the woman passenger, police said.
The accident occurred near kilometre marker 1 on Prasat-Surin road near Na Sam village in tambon Chua Phloeng, Pol Capt Seni Chimngam, Prasart duty officer, said.

An 18-wheel trailer truck veered off the road and crashed into a tree and power pole in Prasat district late on Monday night, killing the woman passenger, police said.
The accident occurred near kilometre marker 1 on Prasat-Surin road near Na Sam village in tambon Chua Phloeng, Pol Capt Seni Chimngam, Prasart duty officer, said.

I'm trying to visualise an 18 wheeler; or are the twin wheels (4 on each axle) counted?

And given that evidence indicates brake failure, how many of those wheels have braking mechanisms?

I'm trying to visualise an 18 wheeler; or are the twin wheels (4 on each axle) counted?

And given that evidence indicates brake failure, how many of those wheels have braking mechanisms?
Big trucks use drum brakes, not disks. An 18 wheeler has 5 axles, so it has 10 brakes. This means all 18 wheels are braked though. Most likely the truck had brakes using compressed air instead of hydraulic fluid.
The three most common cause of air brake failure are leak in the delivery pipe between the air dryer out port and the multi-circuit valve inlet port. Faulty check valve at the unloader in the air dryer. Air leaks in any of the multi-circuit valve delivery pipes.

Air brakes generally cost more.
Air brake systems compress air, which results in moisture that requires air dryers to remove, which also increases the price for air brake systems and can contribute to higher maintenance and repair costs, particularly in the first five years.

I yanked this off the world wide interweb and when I got to the part about higher maintenance and repair costs, I made an assumption.

Yes, all wheels are counted...so the tractor (the driving mechanism) has 2 singles and 2 sets of doubles for a total of 10 wheels, and the typical trailer has 8 wheels made up of 4 sets of doubles.
IMG_0336.JPG

Yes, all wheels are counted...so the tractor (the driving mechanism) has 2 singles and 2 sets of doubles for a total of 10 wheels, and the typical trailer has 8 wheels made up of 4 sets of doubles.

Ah, from my experience it's different in the UK.

A truck with this configuration of axles passed my house a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't see how many wheels were attached to each axle but I know it should not have been allowed in the village (although it was not loaded).

12 wheels.jpg

Ah, from my experience it's different in the UK.
I think that the weight you are trying to carry is the most determining factor for wheel set-up and positioning. The example I showed was my truck which could carry a maximum of 80,000 lbs.IMG_0048.JPG

Last edited:
Back