22 Tips For Retiring Well And Happy In Thailand

Very true but it is also unlikely to have a deposit returned from a local landlord.

I am glad I do not have those worries.

Back on topic. Maybe we should start a idea No.23 About property ownership/ rental

Absolute Bol#$%cks.

I have rented 5 properties over the last 15 years. Never had a problem with deposits not being returned.

Threads like this make me chuckle. There are several points that are inaccurate and misguiding.

No 1 on the list should be " Learn to speak some Thai". That would then negate the need for most of the other points.

Absolute Bol#$%cks.

I have rented 5 properties over the last 15 years. Never had a problem with deposits not being returned.

Threads like this make me chuckle. There are several points that are inaccurate and misguiding.

No 1 on the list should be " Learn to speak some Thai". That would then negate the need for most of the other points.

Greetings Stevo.
Do you agree that the other 21 items do have justification ? I do.

OK, move "Learn to speak some Thai" to replace # 18.

Quick question for you - does the Thai word for 'kidney' sound like the English word 'die' (rhymes with 'pie' as in Buriram pie) ?

Hi Coffee.

I hope you are feeling well.

I did actually say that learning Thai would negate the need for most of the others, the ones involving language especially. So I do not believe that all of the other 21 points are justified.

Yes. The Thai word for kidney is "die", but it is quite a short pronunciation, ie not as long as the way we would say "die" in English.

I still think the best advice for anyone going to live in a foreign country is learn some of the language. The quirks of everyday life and culture differences would then become apparent.

Last edited:
Hi Coffee.

I hope you are feeling well.

I did actually say that learning Thai would negate the need for most of the others, the ones involving language especially. So I do not believe that all of the other 21 points are justified.

Yes. The Thai word for kidney is "die", but it is quite a short pronunciation, ie not as long as the way we would say "die" in English.

I still think the best advice for anyone going to live in a foreign country is learn some of the language. The quirks of everyday life and culture differences would then become apparent.

Thank you for clarifying this translation, Stevo.
This simple language situation almost contributed to some serious health implications while I was hospitalized. Oops5

Imagine a nurse calling for backup , then post-op staff running around while I'm heavily medicated and I'm trying to understand what is going on.
I hear the word spoken several times and my pulse rate increases.
I believe the staff was confused as to whether the initial nurse was speaking Thai or English...I could not assist them with further clarity. :confused:

I could only clutch my balls and pray repeating 'Sa-doy' (no understand)...(as many staff workers speak khmien (khmeer).

Then again I had signed away 'chee wit' on the hold-harmless release you must sign before entering hospital and requesting surgical renal nephrectomy treatment.
I closed my eyes while thinking to myself Booboo + shyte...

thank you for clarifying this translation, stevo.
This simple language situation almost contributed to some serious health implications while i was hospitalized. Oops5

imagine a nurse calling for backup , then post-op staff running around while i'm heavily medicated and i'm trying to understand what is going on.
I hear the word spoken several times and my pulse rate increases.
I believe the staff was confused as to whether the initial nurse was speaking thai or english...i could not assist them with further clarity. :confused:

I could only clutch my balls and pray repeating 'sa-doy' (no understand)...(as many staff workers speak khmien (khmeer).

Then again i had signed away 'chee wit' on the hold-harmless release you must sign before entering hospital and requesting surgical renal nephrectomy treatment.
I closed my eyes while thinking to myself booboo + shyte...
lmao1

Back