4,000 English teachers sought by Thailand...

There is a common saying around expats in the PI s "English is widely spoken, but not well understood"

Yes Yorky "Well sorted then" bnaughty

There is a common saying around expats in the PI s "English is widely spoken, but not well understood"

Yes Yorky "Well sorted then" bnaughty

I think the Americans were responsible for teaching Philippinos how to speak American English - therefore it is hardly surprising that they do not understand proper English.

Busted1Oops5

I think the Americans were responsible for teaching Philippinos how to speak American English - therefore it is hardly surprising that they do not understand proper English.

Busted1Oops5

Proper English according to who? You? Nothing wrong with American English but they're right about the PI.. The primary language in the PI is Tagalog.. Not English.. The only reason they're looking for teachers from the PI is cheap labor.. They will find out soon enough if you pay cheap you get cheap...

Proper English according to who? You? Nothing wrong with American English but they're right about the PI.. The primary language in the PI is Tagalog.. Not English.. The only reason they're looking for teachers from the PI is cheap labor.. They will find out soon enough if you pay cheap you get cheap...

I've worked with Filipina teachers of English, and found them hard-working and conscientious. They do have a characteristic accent, but it's not difficult to understand.

Tagalog is the national language, but in many parts of the country the local language predominates. Among educated people, English is widely spoken.... and spoken well.

concur with IB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmvbEHf94w

Nothing wrong with their English...is there shrug1

{You get the idea, eh.}
In the computer/ internet age speaking will be everything...(spell-check, grammar-check skills will no longer be necessary).

Last edited by a moderator:

I was only fishing...........didn't expect to get a bite.

are you tense

Nomad, did you get bit , bitten or did you just get or catch a bite ?

(Fookin' English , eh ?) Crazy1

Look at that...

...bight of land.

'Once a night always a knight.' shrug1

I am always reminded by the phrase "two nations divided by a common language". I always attributed the phrase to Sir Winston Churchill although further research would suggest that he did not. Most likely it was either Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw.

In The Canterville Ghost (1887), Wilde wrote: ‘We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language’. However, the 1951 Treasury of Humorous Quotations (Esar & Bentley) quotes Shaw as saying: ‘England and America are two countries separated by the same language’.

Even Bill Gates has something to say on this subject. In the latest version of Windows 10 it is not possible to select English (United Kingdom) as your preferred language unless you select English (United Kingdom) for your keyboard too. I have found it very annoying to use English (UK) as my preferred language because my keyboard is a Microsoft American layout. There are many differences between the assigned keys on an English (American) keyboard and an English (UK) keyboard. Today I have given up the battle and setup an English (American) keyboard to accurately assign all the keys in their right place and, Buddha forgive, the use of English (American) as my default language. Presumably that will also influence the dictionary that is used to do the spell check on everything I type. So if you start seeing American English in my future posts do not worrry, it's a language change imposed on me by Microsoft.

P.S. Anyone know where I can buy an English (United Kingdom) QWERTY, wireless keyboard?

From what I have heard, and I don't know if this is true or not, the Filipinos teaching here are paid less than the Anglo farang teachers. If true I can see why they would be trying to enlist the Filipino English teachers rather than the UK, American, Aussie English teachers. The Thais always seem to go for the cheapest workers they can get, or seriously underpay compared to other Asian countries for English teachers. The Filipinos I have met here speak excellent English I must say.

Most of the Filipinos I have met speak very good English (albeit American). However, speaking it and teaching it is totally different.

Would they teach American spelling or real spelling?

Back