A funny from KCI today

nomad97

Resident Geek
I went to KCI this morning to do the 90-day report. There were only 2 of us waiting in the queue and the third, a Farang and his Thai wife I presumed, were processing a visa extension with the Immigration Officer (IO). After the initial presentation of the visa extension form there seemed to a lengthy delay as the IO discussed matters with the wife. Blimey, we are going to be here all day I thought as there was only the one IO on duty at that time. After a while the IO duly stamped the Farang's passport, took the money for the visa extension and the couple left. I was next up and quickly on my way with the new 90-day reporting date firmly fixed in my passport. A very efficient service.

On the way back to Surin I asked my wife what all the fuss was about and why the delay. She said that it would appear that the man wanted a 12-month visa extension based on marriage. However, there was one small problem - the two of them were not formally married. Hence the lengthy discussion, in Thai, between the IO and the Farang wife. In the end they accepted the position and he got a short extension in the passport, but certainly not 12 months. It would appear that they had been advised to get married, exit Thailand and get another 90 day visa from an overseas Consulate/Embassy. Then they could return to Thailand and start the process all over again.

I had to chuckle at the naivety of the two of them. There is a wealth of information on the Internet that would have informed them what was required. However, it would appear that no such 'homework' had been done.
Think1

Your right NM. It had me chuckling. Sorry De Facto relationships don't swing it here and won't do so for a long time to come. In his naivety he will also find out getting married in Thailand is that not easy either without a visit to your embassy and a lot of paper work.

Your right NM. It had me chuckling. Sorry De Facto relationships don't swing it here and won't do so for a long time to come. In his naivety he will also find out getting married in Thailand is that not easy either without a visit to your embassy and a lot of paper work.

Yes, I had an even bigger chuckle when I said to my wife, "And I bet he thinks it's a quick trip to the town hall in Surin to get married. He doesn't even know the half of it. He'll require a trip to Bangkok to sort out the paperwork with his Embassy and Ministry of Foreign Affairs too!"

Good story. That's nothing when compared to the "merry go-round" of divorce! 5555

I was told on the day I got married at the Amphur. "Now don't loose those documents, you will need them when you come back for the divorce."

Charming thing to say to a newlywed. To my dismay that was exactly what was happening at the next desk only two meters away. Looked quite simple really.

Compared to a divorce in the west. Cry3.

I was told on the day I got married at the Amphur. "Now don't loose those documents, you will need them when you come back for the divorce."

Charming thing to say to a newlywed. To my dismay that was exactly what was happening at the next desk only two meters away. Looked quite simple really.

One doc, you and her and no money, 10 minuets and your a free man again..T.I.C.boobs2

If you do not provide/return the two docs to an Amphur you must report it lost, get a police report and that then is used in substitution.

There is a wealth of information on the Internet that would have informed them what was required.

Another however Nomad, there's a wealth of bollocks on the internet (not on here of course). So it's a matter of obtaining the correct information (and relying on the Immigration website may not point one in the correct direction for your local office).

One doc, you and her and no money, 10 minuets and your a free man again..T.I.C.boobs2

Just love you GL - you have dance 10 times around the table for your divorce.
icon7.png

Definition of minuet: a slow, stately dance in triple meter, popular in the 17th and 18th centuries.

icon7.png

Definition of minuet: a slow, stately dance in triple meter, popular in the 17th and 18th centuries.

So it takes an hour or two.sorry1

icon7.png

Also popular in Kap Choeng as well, Nomad!

Back