Advice for Land Fill - Block Preparation

BJ The Bear

Hi, Could any body offer advice or help with information regarding Preparation of a block of land prior to building a two story house on it.

We have a block of land in the village of Ban Tako which is in the district of Ban Prang roughly 50 minutes north of Khorat.

My Thai wife informs me: ( We must top up the sand before build house!!)

The block is 1520 square metres in size, rectangular shape and starts at the edge of the main road in this village.

Currently the block is reasonably dead flat, has light scrub, small trees and wild grass covering it.

I have absolutely no idea of how much fill would be required.

Last December when we last visited we made enquiries about getting someone to prepare the block for us then all of a sudden every man and his dog rolled up professing that they could do the job for us and we had a range of verbal quotes on price. My main concern is getting the job done properly as I have heard quite a few horror stories about houses leaning, even sinking and walls cracking after a few months.

I would imagine that the block must be cleared first of all the scrub and grass, probably scraped with a bulldozer, then refilled with earth then compacted?

I have also heard that in some cases a piling system is used to support the concrete house pad?

Obviously some one must have gone down this path before and if anyone can offer some help and advice or even recommend a reliable contractor to do the job correctly I would greatly appreciate it………………………Thanks in advance BJ.
:001_Thank_You5:

Hi BJ

You are right most have dealt with this and although the best person to advise you MUST be Alan the Builder, I will throw in my 'two penith'

It is common practice to raise your land to aid drainage (sometimes the neighbours don't like it cos all your water has to go somewere). Although it is advisable to leave the land to settle for a year (inc a Rainy Season) there are ways round this, as long as the contractor/builder/project manager is sensible.
You probably found yourself as a work provider during a NON rice planting period and thats when every local rice farmer calls him/herself an electricial/plumber/brain-surgeon and any other trade you need.

Who is building your house?
Have you seen work undertaken and spoken to the owners?
Through recommendation???
Friends of the family/village (I HOPE NOT!).

For a ManU supporter, Alan is a very helpful guy and will be happy to offer advice, I'm sure, if thats all you need.

Hi BJ

You are right most have dealt with this and although the best person to advise you MUST be Alan the Builder, I will throw in my 'two penith'

It is common practice to raise your land to aid drainage (sometimes the neighbours don't like it cos all your water has to go somewere). Although it is advisable to leave the land to settle for a year (inc a Rainy Season) there are ways round this, as long as the contractor/builder/project manager is sensible.
You probably found yourself as a work provider during a NON rice planting period and thats when every local rice farmer calls him/herself an electricial/plumber/brain-surgeon and any other trade you need.

Who is building your house?
Have you seen work undertaken and spoken to the owners?
Through recommendation???
Friends of the family/village (I HOPE NOT!).

For a ManU supporter, Alan is a very helpful guy and will be happy to offer advice, I'm sure, if thats all you need.
Hi Dave, Alan The Builder will be building our house so as suggested maybe i contact
him, of course he being the builder could be able to recommend someone reliable
Thanks for the info.................appreciated :001_Thank_You5:

Back