Agricultural use electricity meter.

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
PEA are coming on monday to assess if we are eligible for a agricultural use electric supply.
If we are successful, then we will have to run the cables from the new meter to our farm buildings around 100 meters away. My question is what size of cable to buy? And also should the core be Copper or Aluminium? Currently the load will be a 2" water pump, and a small chaff cutter I guess at around 1hp each, plus a few low energy bulbs and a mosquito zapper in the cow shed.

From my memory :rolleyes::rolleyes:. SHMBO ran a service out to her project of about 200 meters. Concrete polls 2/0 awg/ aluminum and the kit was about 20K baht. Meter and cost kWh will be more on the farmers rate. Me boss pays about 300 baht a month for this as she has two pumps and lights.. The PEA enginery will advice you and it is a lot better if you have competent people that he knows to do the work as we did. Copper is number 1 but at the cost go with the beer can wire.:D Remember with aluminum you go 1 size larger. If Mr Rice sees this thread I am sure he will advise.:D

Assuming you are going to run these cables aerialy. I ran the figures you gave and came up with a number of 10 mm square.
You could safely use 16 mm^2 but I recommend installing 25 mm^2. This would future proof the job.
After all the cost in Aluminum cable additional is negligible. For interest sake the physical difference is also negligible.
16 mm^2 has an core width of 4.5mm diameter while 25 mm^2 has one of 5.6 mm. Mrs @gotlost ran 25mm^2 as well by the way, which is 4 AWG.
Remember we had this argument and I walked through the mud to prove my point it was 25mm^2 4 AWG.
For those playing along at home 2/0 AWG is 70mm^2 or 9.5 mm diameter core. Where did you pull that one from @gotlost ?
That's what you used to use in sand monkey land. o_O :D

Assuming you are going to run these cables aerialy. I ran the figures you gave and came up with a number of 10 mm square.
You could safely use 16 mm^2 but I recommend installing 25 mm^2. This would future proof the job.
After all the cost in Aluminum cable additional is negligible. For interest sake the physical difference is also negligible.
16 mm^2 has an core width of 4.5mm diameter while 25 mm^2 has one of 5.6 mm. Mrs @gotlost ran 25mm^2 as well by the way, which is 4 AWG.
Remember we had this argument and I walked through the mud to prove my point it was 25mm^2 4 AWG.
For those playing along at home 2/0 AWG is 70mm^2 or 9.5 mm diameter core. Where did you pull that one from @gotlost ?
Thank you @Rice for your explanation, I think I have got my head around it now.
I will be able to talk to the man from PEA tomorrow with a little more confidence.

vb_loco.gif

It's easy to find a voltage drop calculator online. We recently dug a 35M x 25M x 4M pond at our family rice fields, and bored a 38M well there. We had to run a 400M 'extension cord' out to the pump, pending PEA extending the pole line out there. You cannot buy 500M rolls of wire at Thai Wadsadhu, HomePro or Do Home. You have to go to a pro shop downtown. 16mm2 aluminum THN wire cost about 2500฿ per 500M roll, and is light enough to handle by hand. Big voltage drop, but at 1.7A our submersible pump draws, only 2% which is OK (3% is the max normally recommended). You can run a light welder off it, as in a resistive load like that a high voltage drop doesn't matter. So we were able to build a steel shade structure. We're still waiting on a quote from PEA to run a permanent pole line. I'd rather pay up front for that than have to have a solar off grid system, unless the charge is unacceptable.

Back