Bad News for UK citizens with Thai wives

Where does that leave me then CO-CO, mystatus for UK Tax is not normally resident and I am NT Tax coded. But I spend 8 months of my life on ships, which is where I regularly, normally or customarily lives. When I come to Thailand I am a tourist.

It's not about you Adam, it is about your missus. It is the widows residency status that is important,

As unfortunate as this might sound for UK expats I well understand the logic behind HRM Government's decree.

I believe and surmise that the same thing will come down the line for American expats wives residing abroad in the future...(though a more distant future) since the Social Security system is under-funded.

As unfortunate as this might sound for UK expats I well understand the logic behind HRM Government's decree.

I believe and surmise that the same thing will come down the line for American expats wives residing abroad in the future...(though a more distant future) since the Social Security system is under-funded.

We/you are soft targets and would receive little sympathy from those 'back home'.

We/you are soft targets and would receive little sympathy from those 'back home'.

I agree that the Thai wives should not be eligible for handouts, and especially their children from former Thai husbands, but am totally against the state pension for expats being frozen. Our pension has been paid for by our NI contributions and should be paid of right!

I agree that the Thai wives should not be eligible for handouts, and especially their children from former Thai husbands, but am totally against the state pension for expats being frozen. Our pension has been paid for by our NI contributions and should be paid of right!

Glad to see this sort of stuff is not happening to the US Social Security pensioners. We can live anywhere and the SS payments are just direct deposited to whatever bank account your specify.

How the UK gov can do this is mind boggling. You paid your dues, now if you live out of the country in your later years they want to screw you over. That's bullshit. I see the same for some of our Aussie friends as well.

Glad to see this sort of stuff is not happening to the US Social Security pensioners. We can live anywhere and the SS payments are just direct deposited to whatever bank account your specify.

How the UK gov can do this is mind boggling. You paid your dues, now if you live out of the country in your later years they want to screw you over. That's bullshit. I see the same for some of our Aussie friends as well.

Thats only true to a point. After you kick the bucket. Your Thai wife, and buddha does not count, is only illegible for your SS benefits IF she has lived in the USA for three consecutive years. And the US will know when you bite the big one and that deposit will be stoped.

Having been re-elected, the Tories will bring in these type of changes very early in the new term. Remember, it does not affect those resident and able to vote in the UK. The majority of voters couldn't care less and expats are not in the right place to front the *******(s) that initiated the changes.

I had coffee with an Aussie friend today and was relating this story to him. I also told him about Thai Widows and Expats.

He wanted to know if their expertise extends to dealing with the Australian system as he is finding it difficult to keep up to date on pensions etc there. Do you do Aus, Coco and Nick? If not, can you recommend anyone who does? What do you think about this, Surin?

Thats only true to a point. After you kick the bucket. Your Thai wife, and buddha does not count, is only illegible for your SS benefits IF she has lived in the USA for three consecutive years. And the US will know when you bite the big one and that deposit will be stoped.

Hmmmm. I thought it was 5 consecutive years the wife would have to live in the states? I plan to bring my wife back to the states just so she can qualify for the 50% Social Security payments when I kick the bucket. 3 years would be even better, if so. Where'd you get that 3 year info GL?

Mike

^^^ Does your wife have to be a US citizen to receive 50% of your said SS benefits ?

Hmmmm. I thought it was 5 consecutive years the wife would have to live in the states? I plan to bring my wife back to the states just so she can qualify for the 50% Social Security payments when I kick the bucket. 3 years would be even better, if so. Where'd you get that 3 year info GL?

Mike

I thank your correct Mike it is 5 years. Also that 5 years is the time limit to qualify for US Citizenship.

Coco and Nick, now the Americans are fretting about these issues too. Seems there is a need for good quality up to date information for the various nationalities resident here. Our own governments and their embassies here aren't interested.

Coco and Nick, now the Americans are fretting about these issues too. Seems there is a need for good quality up to date information for the various nationalities resident here. Our own governments and their embassies here aren't interested.

Correct John. They won't tell you anything, or fob you off.

It took 3 emails, and an eventual condecending reply from the Manager of the DWP Bereavements section, to find out why one of our widows was receiving far less that we had worked out. That was when we learnt about the deceaseds frozen state pension coming into play.

Correct John. They won't tell you anything, or fob you off.

It took 3 emails, and an eventual condecending reply from the Manager of the DWP Bereavements section, to find out why one of our widows was receiving far less that we had worked out. That was when we learnt about the deceaseds frozen state pension coming into play.

I find that difficult to believe!

bnaughty

I would not say were fretting but you guys sure are.T.I.C. Welcome to the club.p4rty

I had coffee with an Aussie friend today and was relating this story to him. I also told him about Thai Widows and Expats.

He wanted to know if their expertise extends to dealing with the Australian system as he is finding it difficult to keep up to date on pensions etc there. Do you do Aus, Coco and Nick? If not, can you recommend anyone who does? What do you think about this, Surin?

If he's on a Govt aged pension it will expire on his death, however most people now retire on Superannuation that they've contributed to over many years...not sure if it's still 9% or moved to 12% of wage earned and this will most likely pass on to the wife/partner no matter where that survivor resides.

Can anyone give the links to the articles alluded to in this post. I have a Brit friend who is contemplating marriage and is due to receive the state pension in a few more years.
Cheers guys.
PS He does gave other income.

Can anyone give the links to the articles alluded to in this post. I have a Brit friend who is contemplating marriage and is due to receive the state pension in a few more years.
Cheers guys.
PS He does gave other income.

NS - see post #1 and #4.

It is all about the Pensions Act 2014 - Google that for specifics but the above posts cover the headline impact and the parliamentary notes.

If your friend has any specific questions please feel free to PM them on to me or Prakhonchai Nick.

Back