Ban Kwao Sinarin Silversmith Village - Surin

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
BanKwao Sinarin Silversmith Village - Surin

Just outside of the city of Surin where I live (off highway 214) are two villages that make and sell silver jewelry, one is named BanKwao Sinarin. I've taken a half a dozen friends of mine who were visiting me to see these places over the years, and to buy some presents to take back home. It is interesting to watch how they make the jewelry and other silver pieces. You can find great bargains here, and very beautiful and intricate earrings, belt buckles, belts, rings, bracelets, and necklaces.

348a6852_zpsea530298.jpg

A silversmith applying heat to some silver earrings.

d4a274f8_zpscdbe6338.jpg
Some family members sorting through the silver jewelry for sale.

e4c23dca_zpsbf224f45.jpg

One of the silversmiths applying patterns to the silver jewelry.

All the silverware and jewelry is still made by hand in a primitive yet functional manner.
It is amazing how much work goes into these pieces and how detailed they are.
e4c0e384_zps04d64800.jpg

Silver beads for necklaces in the making.

9ae0cff4_zps8468d088.jpg

The family patriarch looking over his wares.

f4a28e54_zpsf5544965.jpg

I bought these earrings for my wife for Christmas.

82d52aa5_zps914cb70a.jpg

A handmade silver hairpiece.

f4f71c49_zps4b9a5c53.jpg

Same piece with matching earrings.

I also bought a bracelet that matched the earrings for her as well. There are many nice things to buy here. The necklaces are very nicely made and beautiful as well. There are also a lot of shops on the road leading to these villages that sell stone jewelry; amber, turquoise, and many other semi-precious stones. I've gotten some very nice bargains along this road for presents to send home for birthdays and Christmas. A very neat and short trip out of Surin can be incorporated into a day trip including a few other villages as well that sell woven baskets, high quality silk and silk clothing, pocketbooks, tablecloths, slippers, and just about anything that can be made of silk. There is also a village that deals exclusively in 'red sapphires' as they call them ... rubies. Plus there is a small village where some members of my wife's family live that has very inexpensive handicrafts made of silk; change purses, scarfs, and small handbags. In one day you can see many different villages with interesting handiwork and wares.

I hope you liked this post and found it interesting. If you are ever in the area this is one of the many things to see and do.

Some facts on the silverware villages for the reader:

The Silverware Villages, Ban Khwao Sinarin and Ban Chok, are Iocated on Highway 214 with a 4 kilometers right turn between Km. markers 14 -15. The villages produce and put on sale assorted silver ornaments such as belts, necklaces, bracelets, rings, earrings and watches. A large number of silverware shops line both sides of the road.

* All pics in this post by Bob, the Old Hippy.

Mike

Last edited:
I visited this place years ago and it was a whole village of houses making sliver hand made goods ,I have been since and there is hardly anyone making anything anymore just a couple of shops and a tourist place , I don't know why it happened it was booming about 8 years back ?
Did the bottom fall out of the business ?

Wow this place is a surprise.
I was under the impression that Silver, unlike Gold, is like Rocking horse shit in Thailand. You can't find Bullion anywhere. Whats the purity like?

Some more pics from the Kwao Sinarin Silver smithy village - Surin.

Some more pics from the Kwao Sinarin Silver smithy village.

Elephantcampandsilkdryingpics007_zpsa49fd6d3.jpg

Elephantcampandsilkdryingpics008_zps1a00b8fb.jpg

Elephantcampandsilkdryingpics009_zps2ff196ee.jpg

Elephantcampandsilkdryingpics010_zps3503b335.jpg

Last edited:
I Had a cuff bracelet made there last year (for myself) woven silver with two naga heads. Very durable and unique.

I Had a cuff bracelet made there last year (for myself) woven silver with two naga heads. Very durable and unique.

WoH,

Take a pic of it if you can and place it here for others to see. I do like that one you have myself and may get one made too, or something similar so as not to be a copycat. :) But that one is cool.

Mike

p.s. As Farang bootneck asks, what is the level of purity in this Thai silver for decorative pieces? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Back