Beware that special offer

Den54

Good Morning, Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I feel certain the Mods will move it if necessary.
We went to Prasat yesterday to order more building materials. Afterward I thought a stroll around the supermarket would be a eudomonia, or boost to my morale.
I will not mention the name due to Thailand's archaic defamation laws, but let us just say it has one "s" too many in the name.
Anyway, I noticed a Cotto air fryer reduced from 2,800 Baht to 995 Baht, a bargain I thought as I was in the market for one anyway.
having dumped that in the trolley I thought it was a good idea to buy a bag of chips to test it with.
Found a two kilo bag marked 185 Baht, buy 2 get one free. Again, Having the breaking strain of a wet Kit Kat I succumbed.
Fast forward to the checkout.............3,000 baht plus was the total. The missus went ballistic, and said no way. When we looked the fryer was charged at full price. The girl went to check, came back and said that offer finished two days ago. I politely told her to return the fryer, and asked why the price had not been changed. I got a dumb smile as a reply. Then, as we walked away the missus looked at the receipt again and told me to wait. Apparently we had been charged 250 Baht per bag of fries. Back we went to the refund counter where it was eventually sorted out.
My reason for posting is two fold............Firstly to say Caveat Emptor, check the specials when you are at the checkout........the second is to ask, rather tongue in cheek, is there a consumer law in Thailand, as I know if that happened in U.K. they would have had to sell me the product at the displayed price........:smiley:

Good Morning, Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I feel certain the Mods will move it if necessary.
We went to Prasat yesterday to order more building materials. Afterward I thought a stroll around the supermarket would be a eudomonia, or boost to my morale.
I will not mention the name due to Thailand's archaic defamation laws, but let us just say it has one "s" too many in the name.
Anyway, I noticed a Cotto air fryer reduced from 2,800 Baht to 995 Baht, a bargain I thought as I was in the market for one anyway.
having dumped that in the trolley I thought it was a good idea to buy a bag of chips to test it with.
Found a two kilo bag marked 185 Baht, buy 2 get one free. Again, Having the breaking strain of a wet Kit Kat I succumbed.
Fast forward to the checkout.............3,000 baht plus was the total. The missus went ballistic, and said no way. When we looked the fryer was charged at full price. The girl went to check, came back and said that offer finished two days ago. I politely told her to return the fryer, and asked why the price had not been changed. I got a dumb smile as a reply. Then, as we walked away the missus looked at the receipt again and told me to wait. Apparently we had been charged 250 Baht per bag of fries. Back we went to the refund counter where it was eventually sorted out.
My reason for posting is two fold............Firstly to say Caveat Emptor, check the specials when you are at the checkout........the second is to ask, rather tongue in cheek, is there a consumer law in Thailand, as I know if that happened in U.K. they would have had to sell me the product at the displayed price........:smiley:
There are consumer laws in Thailand and, they all state the same, let the consumer beware.

We have been doing some heavy duty shopping in recent months for our new house and have not encountered
any price gouging, the reverse in fact. It has been more good luck than management.
We have a friend who works at a leading electronics retailer in Pattaya who saved us thousands of ฿฿฿฿฿฿ by getting our purchases through
on a special promotional rate as we purchased everything electronic from her--฿150,000 + spent.
The kicker was, as I told @Rice was when we purchased 3 new king beds from another major furnature retailer.
This retailer was having a stock clearance sale on selected quality beds--mattresses only.
The ones that we selected were " REDUCED ' to ฿24.500.
While we were deciding, a rep from the manufacturer approached us and started discussing price, He, on a calculator, tapped out a figure of ฿17,000
without the retailers reps seeing.
When we told him we wanted 3 beds the price dropped to ฿12,000 each.
My alarm bells started ringing when he told us to make payment to him, directly.
He supplied us with his ID card photo, his drivers liscence and company security badge.
Not sure if he was pushing his own barrow or what but, we told him as soon as they were delivered, direct credit to him,
the mattresses were celivered 2 days later, deal done.

Good info Den,thanks.
Most 'laws' here, are treated like guidance notes and sometimes adered to, like traffic lights
GREEN = Go
AMBER = Go quickly
RED = Go if no cops about.

Personally @Den54, I think you did the right thing. I do not speak Thai, well not enough for any meaningful conversation, and I know my wife hates to get into any confrontation. I would have done the same, I would have told the check-out assistant to cancel the purchase and shove it where the sun does not shine. Of course, she may not have understood the English but the big smile on my face may have given the game away. :D :D :D

We have been doing some heavy duty shopping in recent months for our new house and have not encountered
any price gouging, the reverse in fact. It has been more good luck than management.
We have a friend who works at a leading electronics retailer in Pattaya who saved us thousands of ฿฿฿฿฿฿ by getting our purchases through
on a special promotional rate as we purchased everything electronic from her--฿150,000 + spent.
The kicker was, as I told @Rice was when we purchased 3 new king beds from another major furnature retailer.
This retailer was having a stock clearance sale on selected quality beds--mattresses only.
The ones that we selected were " REDUCED ' to ฿24.500.
While we were deciding, a rep from the manufacturer approached us and started discussing price, He, on a calculator, tapped out a figure of ฿17,000
without the retailers reps seeing.
When we told him we wanted 3 beds the price dropped to ฿12,000 each.
My alarm bells started ringing when he told us to make payment to him, directly.
He supplied us with his ID card photo, his drivers liscence and company security badge.
Not sure if he was pushing his own barrow or what but, we told him as soon as they were delivered, direct credit to him,
the mattresses were celivered 2 days later, deal done.
Seems you did very well.

Back