Breakfast at the Majestic

Frankfurters/hot dogs being used as 'breakfast sausages' is a Thai thing for their so-called 'American Breakfast'. I've been American my whole life and never had a hot dog with my eggs and toast for breakfast. Never seen this anywhere in America I've eaten breakfast. And this is what most hotels here serve with their 'American' breakfast. I imagine, especially in the provinces, that this is all they could get over the decades to use as a 'breakfast sausage', though I see it in Bangkok hotels as well all the time where they can get true breakfast sausages easily enough, and it has become just normal practice here in Thailand. Skip the hot dogs please, and just give me eggs, streaky bacon (crispy), potato home fries (simple and easy to do), and toast and coffee. What's worse is these Thai hot dogs are crap. :frown: But TIT, I doubt the Thais will ever change their version of an American breakfast.

Mike

p.s. The holey waffles don't make it either. They need to use a bit more batter and make them right.

Last edited:
Are Frankfurters american,there were no farangs there only a couple of thais.

Sangka,

Hot Dog History

Although the history of sausage goes back a long way, hot dogs are as American as apple pie. There is no certain etiology of the term hot dog, but two theories are the most prominent.

The popularity of the term hot dog is generally attributed to sports cartoonist T. A. "Tad" Dorgan, who caricatured German figures as dachshund dogs just after the turn of the 19th century. His talking sausage cartoons generally denigrated the cheap wieners sold at Coney Island, crassly suggesting they contained dogmeat. It was such bad publicity that in 1913, the Chamber of Commerce actually banned use of the term "hog dog" from signs on Coney Island. The term actually first appeared in print in the Oxford English Dictionary in 1900.

German Americans brought us weinerwurst, German for Vienna sausage, which eventually became shortened to wiener. Other German immigrants referred to smoked sausages as bundewurst, which is German for dog sausage. By the late 1920's, wienie roasts became the rage, with guests bringing their own hot dogs to roast over an open fire.

Credit for putting the hot dog into a warm bun and topping it with various condiments goes to Harry Magely, catering director of New York City's Polo Grounds, who reportedly instructed his vendors to cry out, "Red hots! Get your red hots!"

Also credited for the idea of warm buns is Charles Feltman, of Feltman's Gardens in Coney Island amusement park.

Corn dogs were introduced in 1942 at the Texas State Fair, created by Texan Neil Fletcher.

No way, no how do I eat that type of so called breakfast as shown in the photo earlier. When I stayed at the Surin Majestic and did eat their included breakfast I had juice, coffee, fruit, eggs prepared to my liking, toast and bacon. Now that I have learned the buffet breakfast is available for ONLY 150Baht and I can eat to my heart's content it's a no brainer. Even when I try to watch me Baht at Starbeams and have only juice coffee and toast (doubles on the juice and coffee) the tab including tip always exceeds 150Baht. Given the fact also that there are Thai and other Asian items available at the Majestic it's the best bargain in town.

Several of my friends have stayed at the Majestic and were quite happy with the included breakfast. The Gorgeous Lek has twice recently met with Thai friends and eaten Thai food there - no problem. Guess I will have to test the ABF (Australian Breakfast) myself when next in Surin (next week). I won't have a problem with those funny waffle-like things on my plate as they look like something that should be eaten with icecream, not breakfast!

I like a continental type of breakfast -English full is ok but once a week is max for me . This place we went to was a good deal , they also had a grill outside with bacon eggs real sausage and chicken and pork it's a buffet 8am till 2pm 180 baht in a very nice restaraunt - picks ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416244.118323.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416273.805478.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416311.423303.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416342.069312.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416378.455063.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416409.352251.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416439.420810.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416459.870362.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416489.121930.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416515.923536.jpg

PImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416555.907242.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416582.088196.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416612.670254.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416639.129879.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416661.213705.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352416690.689423.jpg
Now in my humble apinion this is 100.000 times better that a Yorkies bacon sausage and beans with white toast boring breakfast and is a million times better than the Mejestic .

I wish they had this type of thing on offer in Surin - I guess theres not enough of us to support it :(

Last edited:
Agreed Alan,
one of the best Breakfast / Brunch 's in the Country (IMHO) and excellent value into the bargain

Found this place just after he opened, it must be 7 or 8 years now and it's always been great.

Pascal certainly delivers the goods.

Another place worth a try is Cherrys on Third Road. (oposite where the old Xcite Disco used to be)
Wednesday & Saturday nights International Buffet @ 350 Bt a head.
A La Carte every night with great daily specials....one night is Lobster for (I think) 495
The Buffet spread offered is extensive and good quality (including Roast Lamb) The Osso Bucco is first class as are most of the dishes on offer including a great range of desserts
I believe the owner was formally Head Chef at Bruno's
The place gets packed so advisable to book Ph: 038052430
They have a Web site...google Cherrys Restaurant Pattaya

Cheers PK

The Buffet Breakfast at the Lek Hotel was quite enjoyable today. Still 110 baht for the elite and 150 baht for the plaebs without a voucher book.

Value for money, the Roo Bar breakfast is hard to beat. Sausage (a real pork sausage), eggs and good bacon with coffee or tea for 95 baht in the middle of Walking Street. Vegemite available at no extra cost as you would expect. A chance to get some cultured conversation with a bunch of Aussies as well.

Are they real sausages at pascel, or frankenfurters, what was the price there ,i can't see the price on the banner.

Real food....as one would expect from a Real Restaurant.

189 plus VAT

I think this forum "Restaurants and Places to eat in Surin" should have a sub-forum for 'Restaurants and Places to eat other than in Surin' so we can all share our recommendations and suggestions and information for places to eat we have experienced in our travels around the country. Would be helpful to all when going somewhere new in Thailand when they have no idea of where to eat, what might be good, and where the place is located. I believe Admin can easily add this on here. Danny? Can do?

Mike

He's done it already. Well done, Danny! As the starter of what was intended to be a simple advice thread, I was amazed (amused maybe) to see it wandering off the original topic. Mind you, most of us are guilty of adding cr@p or "off topic" information to otherwise useful threads and I sometimes wonder what new members think when they read our diversionary comments.

I will add a lot to this forum from friends that live elsewhere.

Mike

Seperate threads have been opened for different locations across Thailand. If any further places are needed, feel free to open a thread yourself.

Thanks

p.s. i have transfered the 'Pattaya' related posts into that NEW forum section.ThumbUp6

Last edited:
Back