Brits in Thailand warned of up to 11 week wait for passport renewals

I may have problems then. My passport is being renewed as I type and I need the new passport to process my annual extension to remain, ideally by 13th December, my next date to do my 90-day report. I put my passport in for processing in mid-September, using the services of 'Thai Widows & Expats', a sponsor of this forum. Fingers crossed that the new passport will arrive in time.

I may have problems then. My passport is being renewed as I type and I need the new passport to process my annual extension to remain, ideally by 13th December, my next date to do my 90-day report. I put my passport in for processing in mid-September, using the services of 'Thai Widows & Expats', a sponsor of this forum. Fingers crossed that the new passport will arrive in time.
Ask the Ltcol.

If you have a copy of the passport and the proof it has been sent in for renewal you should be okay. Plus you have your pink ID card and Yellow Book. Depends on which Immi officer you end up with.

What date does your extension run to ?

What date does your extension run to ?
90-day is 13th December. Renew extension 31st December. Transfer data from old passport to new, before 31st December. I was hoping to do all three at the 90-day report.

If a new passport is not available, I will need the old passport returned from VFS to complete the renewal of the extension, I still have 10 months remaining on the old passport.

90-day is 13th December. Renew extension 31st December. Transfer data from old passport to new, before 31st December. I was hoping to do all three at the 90-day report.

If a new passport is not available, I will need the old passport returned from VFS to complete the renewal of the extension, I still have 10 months remaining on the old passport.
You have until 20th December to do your 90 report (although you should be able to do that without the passport). 2,000 Baht penalty if you don't report by 20th.

You could just do the 90 day report as above and chance your arm on the extension renewal until, say 17th December.

Frankly, I think everything will be sorted out before December, but if it isn't I would be arranging for the old passport to be dispatched to Surin by 10th December.

You have until 20th December to do your 90 report (although you should be able to do that without the passport). 2,000 Baht penalty if you don't report by 20th.

You could just do the 90 day report as above and chance your arm on the extension renewal until, say 17th December.

Frankly, I think everything will be sorted out before December, but if it isn't I would be arranging for the old passport to be dispatched to Surin by 10th December.
Thank you, relevant dates are noted, especially the return of the old passport. :)

A TIMELY REMINDER

Have heard of 2 cases in the past week, one where a UK passport has expired and the new one is not back from HMPO, and a 2nd where there is less than 2 months remaining on the current passport and HMPO are indicating a 10/11 week turnround, quite apart from the delay by VFS in arranging an appointment to submit. No help is anticipated either from the British Embassy or Immigration

At the very latest new passports should be applied for at least 6 months before expiry, and ideally closer to one year

Apart from travelling to ones home country, most countries require at least 6 months remaining on a passport in order to allow entry

Caged like animals: Inside Bangkok's notorious IDC​

My son was there some 20 years ago awaiting deportation. Apparently every evening there was a whip round (80 guests) and a magnificent piss up with food was held the guards going out to buy everything

A TIMELY REMINDER

Have heard of 2 cases in the past week, one where a UK passport has expired and the new one is not back from HMPO, and a 2nd where there is less than 2 months remaining on the current passport and HMPO are indicating a 10/11 week turnround, quite apart from the delay by VFS in arranging an appointment to submit. No help is anticipated either from the British Embassy or Immigration

At the very latest new passports should be applied for at least 6 months before expiry, and ideally closer to one year

Apart from travelling to ones home country, most countries require at least 6 months remaining on a passport in order to allow entry

Consider your 10 year British passport to be 9.5 years - or even 9 years.

Think up to 18 months before your passport expiry date.

The most important factor is your extension date. In the cases Nick has mentioned they are fooked because they will have no passport validity when their extensions expire. (Note for those who enjoy pedantry - you don't 'renew' an extension, you apply for a 'new' one each time). Once you have your new 12 month extension IMMEDIATELY look to see if you have at least 12 months additional validity in your passport. Anything less, then diarise to make sure that you apply to renew your passport within 6 months of expiry (for those who enjoy pedantry, you apply to 'renew' your passport - you do not apply for a new one..........although you get a new one!). :wink:

I totally agree with the early renewal of one's passport. I renewed mine immediately after a 90-day report, submitted on the 21st of September, and received the new passport on 29 November 2021. My passport did not expire until Oct 2022 but my application to remain had to be submitted before 30 December 2021.

Many thanks to @Prakhonchai Nick for his kind and knowledgeable advice, together with his services to renew my passport.

Back