building advice

rob.doc

Surin Legend
hi all

as the newbie in town and like some thoughts and advice.
im currently looking for some land to build a home on.
when i find that land , as far as i can see i have two options.
get a contractor,
or get a thai builder and do the supervision my self.

in the area i know of Alan and of PD Homes.
i also know a thai builder who is building my ladies Mama,s thai house.

i would appreciate any comments or advice on the contractors or any
on the self build option.

cheers

rob

Rob
If you look in the Prasat forum you will see a video/slideshow I did of building our home. We hired our contractor for a fixed amount of labor, then we paid for our choices in materials.

Send me a PM if you want cost details or any other info, happy to help.
Hi1

thanks for the advice mike
im renting at the opposite end of Lamduan from her family home
so looking for some land in that area and around.

cheers

Did you think of getting land near Surin Rob ?
It gets very boring in Lamduan believe me Done that ,I know many people Wont mention any names who have built out there and after a year or two they all regretted it and some of them now rent in Surin and just go home when they need to .Your Mrs will be happy down there eating somtam with the family ! Words from my friend its crap in Lamduan wished I never wasted my money building down here !

Last edited:
im looking to build in Lamduan Alan,
i work away from home so its nice for the missus
and too be honest when i come home i just want
some quiet time with her.
if i need to get a day out Surin is only 20 mins away.

if in time i find it too quiet in time, theni guess i will
build a second home nearer town, if that time comes.

if you know of any friends who have land they want
to offload in Lamduan id be interested.

thanks for the advice. cheers

rob

Land is very cheap over there I'm sure you will have no problem finding something .
My friend knows of a house for sale down there ,hes going to send me a link I will put it on here latter .

Where is the nearest place to buy a pint of milk if you live in Lamduan, just for example?

In Lamduan they have shops ,its a crossroads village -- Fresh milk not sure, box milk any of them shops .
There is nothing much there only a few market type stalls (in the morning) and 1 bank and 3 noddle soup shops and 1 school .But the Provence is very spread out .
You would not want to go there for a holiday ! its worse than Sangkha .

In Lamduan they have shops ,its a crossroads village -- Fresh milk not sure, box milk any of them shops .
There is nothing much there only a few market type stalls (in the morning) and 1 bank and 3 noddle soup shops and 1 school .But the Provence is very spread out .
You would not want to go there for a holiday ! its worse than Sangkha .

I went to Sangkha a while ago and they confused me with you Alan. One expats said to me "Your the guy who called Sangkha a Sh*t Hole arnt you!"
It was a very funny convo and I couldnt be bothered to put him straight cos I thought it was more fun, not too!

I went to Sangkha a while ago and they confused me with you Alan. One expats said to me "Your the guy who called Sangkha a Sh*t Hole arnt you!"
It was a very funny convo and I couldnt be bothered to put him straight cos I thought it was more fun, not too!

It is a shithole, end of story.

If he finds that offensive then he is living in La la land.

the missus sells small cartons of milk in her shop
so not far to go.
there are a lot of little shops dotted around the small neighborhoods
but for anything big its makro and big c,
i wait with interest for that link Alan, thanks

rob

It is a shithole, end of story.

If he finds that offensive then he is living in La la land.

Agreed 1000000000%..................................It is way too quiet and as Alan said there has been a couple guys build there and they couldn't handle the boredom ......nothing wrong with eating Som -Tam and bar-b-qued rats and bugs but it gets to be a bit much quickly unless you have a few Lao-Kow buddies around you (you will, they will sniff you out). Then for sure you will miss your flights back to work.............

Last edited:
Yikes............. Lao-kow Khmer drink of choice ...........sure you, have /are in /where you say u are........Ask the G/F or Wife...

would that be the thai whisky ?
im strictly a beer man.
ive enough distractions to keep me busy when home
dont need to turn to whisky

although one distraction i could do with is a pool table
anyone know of one for sale, or a shop in town ?
seen one here, but was posted months ago.

cheers

I'm a beer guy too... go to the local shop its the white rice liquor all the locals swill .....just look for the red eyes....tastes great..

my missus probably sells it,
but the only thing she stocks for me is leo
not a bad beer all things considered.

Back