Car bomb check in Makro

The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell. Even Yorky could learn to whip up a bombastic souffle.

I have seen no evidence that the Makro searches are nationwide. Surin, Buriram, and Mae Rim (Chiangmai), and that's it. Does anybody have any actual reports from elsewhere?

As I suspected, GL, there were no other reports (doesn't mean it wasn't happening though!).

Two security men (or boys) were desultorily checking cars at Makro Buriram this afternoon.

No bomb checks in Makro Surin this morning.

Last week there were checks in Buriram, Makro, but being a farang, I was waved through! WTF!

No bomb checks in Makro Surin this morning.

Last week there were checks in Buriram, Makro, but being a farang, I was waved through! WTF!

Try wrapping a Tea towel round your head next time Nick. If you don't get shot you can prove your racial profile theory.
Joking aside in Papua New Guinea just being white was the entry criteria for entry to anywhere. When I quizzed locals on this as, did they think it was racial?.
The answer always came back not at all and completely understood the need and the pointlessness of checking whites.

slightly off topic.

Some 25years + ago, the one and only supermarket in Pattaya -Spinneys - were suffering a bout of shoplifting. It was decided that the cashiers should search everyone as they left. There was one very nice young cashier, whose till I regularly used. I offered myself to her to search, but sadly she declined. Her response was that farangs could be trusted. I am not so sure that would be the case today!

slightly off topic.

Some 25years + ago, the one and only supermarket in Pattaya -Spinneys - were suffering a bout of shoplifting. It was decided that the cashiers should search everyone as they left. There was one very nice young cashier, whose till I regularly used. I offered myself to her to search, but sadly she declined. Her response was that farangs could be trusted. I am not so sure that would be the case today!

I am not so sure that was the case THEN either!

While living in the sandbox the opposite was true. Expats were always stopped and checked at checkpoints but the locals only a cursory check.

Back