Choosing a new mattress.

nomad97

Resident Geek
I am in the process of choosing a new King Size mattress to replace our existing mattress. What I have discovered is that during the past 12 years technology seems to have moved on while we have been sleeping. Manufacturers say that the average life of a mattress is 8 years or so which makes our mattress definitely way beyond the sell-by date. I would not disagree with that either. What was once a comfortable mattress, with a 2" latex rubber topper, is no longer. Previously when choosing a mattress, it was a relatively simple affair, press your hand into the mattress, if that was soft or firm enough, proceed to the 'bum' test, and sit on the mattress. If that was agreeable, lie down on the mattress and see how it felt. And that was all there was to it. Nowadays, it seems so much more complicated. Technology has changed and there are so many choices. Do you want foam, latex rubber, hybrid, with a Bonell spring or pocket spring? If so, how many springs do you want? 1,000, or 2,000 or 3,000? Finally, how much do you want to pay? In my travels around the various furniture shops in Surin, I have seen prices ranging from under 10,000 to over 100,000 baht. Who the hell can afford a 100,000 plus baht mattress and are they any better than a cheaper mattress?

After 4 weeks of extensive research on the Internet, visits to all the stores in Surin, and numerous 'bum' tests, I have narrowed down the field of hundreds to just two. Both come in at a tad under 18,000 baht (after discount) and both are of the hybrid pocket springs/foam/latex variety. I have a question. Without revealing my two choices, has anyone bought a new mattress recently and, if so, what did you buy and how much did you pay?

I used to be a salesman for a mattress/slatted bases and boxspring manufacterer.
Keep it simple : the best combination is a boxspring (wooden frame with bonell spring) combined with a 5-zone pocket spring mattress covered with a 3cm layer of cold foam sg 60. Why cold foam ? Fire retardant and more comfortable. No need of more expensive regular or frozen latex, no need for horse or camelhair, special wool ... that is all salestalk to make you spend a fortune.

Our king size mattress is at least 12 years old. It cost around ฿19,000.00 with a "sweat soak up" cover. We bought it in Index on the 226. I'm not considering replacing it at the preset time. I can't remember the make but I'll check when we next remove the fitted sheet.

The mattress has been on this bed since 2014.

bed s.jpg
[Edit: I've checked and the mattress is a 300 mm thick "Serta Sertapedic Body Foam". I believe that the price that I quoted included the base. The original base collapsed following the floods of September 2013].

Last edited:
I am in the process of choosing a new King Size mattress to replace our existing mattress. What I have discovered is that during the past 12 years technology seems to have moved on while we have been sleeping. Manufacturers say that the average life of a mattress is 8 years or so which makes our mattress definitely way beyond the sell-by date. I would not disagree with that either. What was once a comfortable mattress, with a 2" latex rubber topper, is no longer. Previously when choosing a mattress, it was a relatively simple affair, press your hand into the mattress, if that was soft or firm enough, proceed to the 'bum' test, and sit on the mattress. If that was agreeable, lie down on the mattress and see how it felt. And that was all there was to it. Nowadays, it seems so much more complicated. Technology has changed and there are so many choices. Do you want foam, latex rubber, hybrid, with a Bonell spring or pocket spring? If so, how many springs do you want? 1,000, or 2,000 or 3,000? Finally, how much do you want to pay? In my travels around the various furniture shops in Surin, I have seen prices ranging from under 10,000 to over 100,000 baht. Who the hell can afford a 100,000 plus baht mattress and are they any better than a cheaper mattress?

After 4 weeks of extensive research on the Internet, visits to all the stores in Surin, and numerous 'bum' tests, I have narrowed down the field of hundreds to just two. Both come in at a tad under 18,000 baht (after discount) and both are of the hybrid pocket springs/foam/latex variety. I have a question. Without revealing my two choices, has anyone bought a new mattress recently and, if so, what did you buy and how much did you pay?

I recall approx B20,000 at Surin Furniture in March 2021.
I prefer a 'stiff mattress' as opposed to a trampoline.
All in I believe it's one foot (31cm) deep.

Good luck.

I recall approx B20,000 at Surin Furniture in March 2021.
I prefer a 'stiff mattress' as opposed to a trampoline.
All in I believe it's one foot (31cm) deep.

Good luck.
I did look around Surin Furniture this morning, it was where I bought the previous mattress. They had a couple in the 13,500 baht price range that may have met my comfort needs. I did not see any in the higher price range. I prefer a relatively firm, not soft and spongy, mattress as I find a firm mattress better supports my back. I had been drawn to the Sealy range that is currently on display in Home Pro. One, in particular, the Posturepedic mattress, seems to be very close to what I would like. However, they also have one Lotus mattress on display which is also what I would like. Both are similarly priced at about 17,500 baht. Given that the Lotus mattress is also giving 2 pillows, 2 pillow cases, and a mattress protector with the price, I am swayed in that direction. Finally, the real decider was the YouTube advertisement for this particular mattress, the identical make, and model, the Restonic Revive 5290. I think this sold me on the latter.

I bought a Dunlopillo mattress some 4 years ago,paid 20,000 from Sara Buri. Very comfortable mattress "BUT". Some what embarrassing to state. My weight has made it subside on the edges and has made the mattress like a hill in the middle. You may have to watch out for this as well @nomad97. No offense intended. But a purchase consideration to take into account for sure. My mattress in Australia is much older and no such problem has occurred.

I bought a Dunlopillo mattress some 4 years ago,paid 20,000 from Sara Buri. Very comfortable mattress "BUT". Some what embarrassing to state. My weight has made it subside on the edges and has made the mattress like a hill in the middle. You may have to watch out for this as well @nomad97. No offense intended. But a purchase consideration to take into account for sure. My mattress in Australia is much older and no such problem has occurred.
The deed has been done and I did consider and review Dunlopillow mattresses in my determination. The final choice was a close-run affair with Sealy Posturepedic and Lotus Restonic Revive 5290 (as shown in the video above) almost a dead heat. I opted to buy the Sealy mattress on Thursday evening but on entering Homepro on Friday, the 1st of July, I discovered that all the Sealy mattresses had been removed the night before, promotion over. However, the Restonic Revive 5290 was still there. The Posturepedic had appeared slightly cheaper than the Restonic but, after an additional discount, the Restonic was slightly cheaper and with additional 'free' goodies; 2 pillows, 2 bolsters, a mattress protector cover, and a king-size duvet. I paid for the mattress at 10.30 and the smart-looking store assistant assured me the mattress would be delivered that afternoon. It was, 13.00 to be precise. The total discounted price, with free delivery, was 17,672 baht.

This morning, I returned to Homepro to personally thank the store assistant that looked after me. She gave me a broad smile and was about to ask me about the mattress. I interrupted, with a deadpan poker face, half-hidden behind my facemask, to say the mattress was no good, uncomfortable, and just "mai dee". Her face quickly turned from a radiant smile to one of abject horror. But not for long as my face turned into a very broad smile with the reassuring words that the mattress was absolutely wonderful and so comfortable too. Her beautiful smile was fully restored in an instant.

@Rice, I hope I do not suffer the same fate with the mattress as did you. It does come with a full 10-year warranty and guarantee so I am, optimistic that it will not develop a mountain in the middle. Further, the edges of this mattress are already rounded at the edges, and besides, I have been losing some weight too. The rounded side edge does make for an easier bed to get out of.

1656853756081.png

The deed has been done and I did consider and review Dunlopillow mattresses in my determination. The final choice was a close-run affair with Sealy Posturepedic and Lotus Restonic Revive 5290 (as shown in the video above) almost a dead heat. I opted to buy the Sealy mattress on Thursday evening but on entering Homepro on Friday, the 1st of July, I discovered that all the Sealy mattresses had been removed the night before, promotion over. However, the Restonic Revive 5290 was still there. The Posturepedic had appeared slightly cheaper than the Restonic but, after an additional discount, the Restonic was slightly cheaper and with additional 'free' goodies; 2 pillows, 2 bolsters, a mattress protector cover, and a king-size duvet. I paid for the mattress at 10.30 and the smart-looking store assistant assured me the mattress would be delivered that afternoon. It was, 13.00 to be precise. The total discounted price, with free delivery, was 17,672 baht.

This morning, I returned to Homepro to personally thank the store assistant that looked after me. She gave me a broad smile and was about to ask me about the mattress. I interrupted, with a deadpan poker face, half-hidden behind my facemask, to say the mattress was no good, uncomfortable, and just "mai dee". Her face quickly turned from a radiant smile to one of abject horror. But not for long as my face turned into a very broad smile with the reassuring words that the mattress was absolutely wonderful and so comfortable too. Her beautiful smile was fully restored in an instant.

@Rice, I hope I do not suffer the same fate with the mattress as did you. It does come with a full 10-year warranty and guarantee so I am, optimistic that it will not develop a mountain in the middle. Further, the edges of this mattress are already rounded at the edges, and besides, I have been losing some weight too. The rounded side edge does make for an easier bed to get out of.

View attachment 51612
Hmm rounded edges. Yes easier to get out off and easier to fall out off as well. Well I hope not.
I wish you many great nights sleep.

One question. Your SWMBO allowed you to travel off-leash to Home Pro to personally thank the store assistant...seriously?!? :p

"Miracle of miracles,
Wonder of wonders." :)

One question. Your SWMBO allowed you to travel off-leash to Home Pro to personally thank the store assistant...seriously?!? :p

"Miracle of miracles,
Wonder of wonders." :)
I did not get away with anything. On returning home the Grand Inquisition had assembled and the witch hunt was in full swing.

1656900507872.png

I am now confined to base, and privileges have been withdrawn for the rest of the year. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. ;)

Back