Cooker Hoods

Yorky

Fullritis Member
My "Tecnogas" cooker hood has finally given up after 22 years. I'm not complaining about that but I cannot find a replacement and the staff in Watsado, Homepro and Dohome haven't much of a clue. My old hood is 800mm wide (to suit a 800mm wide hob). Apparently the widths have now been standardised to 600mm and 900mm. Obviously 600mm is insufficient and 900mm does not fit in the space previously occupied by the original. It's also apparent that the discharge in all the available units is only via the top rear of the hood and not directly out of the back (not one of the staff in any of the outlets can verify this - all the display units are fitted to the walls).

Does anyone know of a cooker hood which is 800mm wide and has a 100/125mm discharge directly from the back?

It needs to fit here:

new cupboards s.jpg

My "Tecnogas" cooker hood has finally given up after 22 years. I'm not complaining about that but I cannot find a replacement and the staff in Watsado, Homepro and Dohome haven't much of a clue. My old hood is 800mm wide (to suit a 800mm wide hob). Apparently the widths have now been standardised to 600mm and 900mm. Obviously 600mm is insufficient and 900mm does not fit in the space previously occupied by the original. It's also apparent that the discharge in all the available units is only via the top rear of the hood and not directly out of the back (not one of the staff in any of the outlets can verify this - all the display units are fitted to the walls).

Does anyone know of a cooker hood which is 800mm wide and has a 100/125mm discharge directly from the back?

It needs to fit here:

Solly boss.

It needs to fit here:

Mate, would a 100mm overhang really matter ?. You could place a stained timber piece over the over hang, hardly noticable--just saying.

Mate, would a 100mm overhang really matter ?. You could place a stained timber piece over the over hang, hardly noticable--just saying.

I'd live with the overhang if it had a rear discharge. Without a rear discharge I'm stuck with carbon filters and the difficulty of replacing them.

It would only be 50mm overhang at both ends.

Without a rear discharge I'm stuck with carbon filters and the difficulty of replacing them.

Many years ago, I bought a DeLonghi deep fat fryer for ฿4,500.00. Then discovered that the carbon filters only last for 15 cooks. Thailand didn't stock replacements, UK had ceased to sell them, USA would not send outside USA/Canada, and Italy refused to answer my emails.

The fryer was binned.

deepfry.jpg

It needs to fit here:

@Yorky have you considered a repair instead of a replacement? There is an electrical repair shop at 193-5 Nong Dume Alley (the soi for the railway station entrance) near at its junction with the soi from Surin Plaza, and they have been able to repair several items for me, ranging from an now 21 years old Hitachi American fridge-freezer to a step-down transformer. Very fast service - they'll call you either the same or next day to confirm they can fix items, and provide the cost, then repair subject to obtaining any parts. They fixed a small Sharp oven for me a couple of weeks ago, and the cost was just 300Thb, repaired the next day. They don't usually offer a delivery service, but can arrange that too if required.

P.S. The step-down transformer mentioned in #7 above was needed because some idiot (me!) ordered a steam cleaner from Amazon in the US without considering that the latter operated on 110v. The transformer allows the cleaner to be used on our mains voltage here, stepped down to 110v.

@Yorky have you considered a repair instead of a replacement? There is an electrical repair shop at 193-5 Nong Dume Alley (the soi for the railway station entrance) near at its junction with the soi from Surin Plaza, and they have been able to repair several items for me, ranging from an now 21 years old Hitachi American fridge-freezer to a step-down transformer. Very fast service - they'll call you either the same or next day to confirm they can fix items, and provide the cost, then repair subject to obtaining any parts. They fixed a small Sharp oven for me a couple of weeks ago, and the cost was just 300Thb, repaired the next day. They don't usually offer a delivery service, but can arrange that too if required.

Unfortunately, the unit is on it's death bed. The switch for the lights does not work, the switches for the fans are only just operative, the clips which hold on the underside are broken and the paintwork is chipped in a number of places. I think I bought the hood in Central in Bangkok (cooker hoods were unheard of here in 2000). That particular unit does not appear to exist any more so it would be doubtful if spares did.

I'll get a snap of the current state of it tomorrow (the earlier pic was "doctored").

Unfortunately, the unit is on it's death bed. The switch for the lights does not work, the switches for the fans are only just operative, the clips which hold on the underside are broken and the paintwork is chipped in a number of places. I think I bought the hood in Central in Bangkok (cooker hoods were unheard of here in 2000). That particular unit does not appear to exist any more so it would be doubtful if spares did.

I'll get a snap of the current state of it tomorrow (the earlier pic was "doctored").
To me Yorkmeister, you are between a rock and a hard place. To me, it sounds like a bit of reverse engineering is required. Think outside the box, nothing is impossible.

Contact https://icefurniture.webs.com He is a sponsor on the Z forum.

Unfortunately their response was that the same type is available almost everywhere and recommended HomePro. I'd already checked HomePro, Watsadu and DoHome and the staff are a bit clueless as to what they have except what's on show (and fixed to the walls). They definitely do not have an 800 mm wide model.

It looks like the only solution is to buy a 900mm wide model and go with the charcoal filters but I would need to be assured that filters are available (and buy a couple of spares).

I forgot. Here it is.

Our Tecno extractor has 'broken' twice in the last couple of years.
Like yours, @Yorky, the switch unit that combines the light switch and the fan speed selector had broken. It was fitted inside the extractor with two screws securing a plastic plate which had snapped. It was fiddly, and needed to be replaced using a mirror reflecting the screws which were illuminated by a torch. As the image in the mirror was reversed, it was a pain to locate and use a screwdriver to tighten the screws, but it worked. The replacement unit came from Lazada, but has 5 buttons and would not fit your extractor. Others should be available that would do.

The sliding clips (clamps) that hold the base in place look like any others I've seen, and should be readily available online, or through the repair shop mentioned in a previous post.

The rusty panel should be an easy fix with some sandpaper plus a paint primer and a rattle can in the colour of your choice. Go for it!

It was fitted inside the extractor with two screws securing a plastic plate which had snapped. It was fiddly, and needed to be replaced using a mirror reflecting the screws which were illuminated by a torch.
What you need @Merlin is one of these. (Mr DIY I think).

8 in 1 screwdriver 2 s.jpg

8 in 1 screwdriver s.jpg

Unfortunately their response was that the same type is available almost everywhere and recommended HomePro. I'd already checked HomePro, Watsadu and DoHome and the staff are a bit clueless as to what they have except what's on show (and fixed to the walls). They definitely do not have an 800 mm wide model.

It looks like the only solution is to buy a 900mm wide model and go with the charcoal filters but I would need to be assured that filters are available (and buy a couple of spares).

Have you found a proper solution...or made a final decision ?

Back