Critter burrowing into our lake bank?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
We have a 26m x 41m x 4m lake. We'd like to raise the lake level to store more water for the hot season, but a critter of some kind has been burrowing 10cm holes into the lake bank from the adjacent lower rice field. We don't know what it is (haven't managed to see it yet) or how to stop it so we can raise the water level 30cm. Anyone have an idea what this might be (rat, eels,etc.)?

We have a 26m x 41m x 4m lake. We'd like to raise the lake level to store more water for the hot season, but a critter of some kind has been burrowing 10cm holes into the lake bank from the adjacent lower rice field. We don't know what it is (haven't managed to see it yet) or how to stop it so we can raise the water level 30cm. Anyone have an idea what this might be (rat, eels,etc.)?
Rice rats. Thais love em.

190815-small-skewered_16c9401f98b_original-ratio.jpg

Im located in Kap Choeng. Two years back the 214 highway was being widen from 2 to 4 lanes (completed). My wife came in screaming WE R GOING TO GET A POND.
Her and her mom has 30 rai. 10 rai is my wife. A contractor approached my wife and struct up a deal. On her section of land she had a 50Mx50Mx15M pond built. Google Earth GPS 14.4810687926, 103.578823565 Water was hit at 3 meters and never go dry. BTW our water is not salty but is hard.

Last edited:
This time of year traps are set out along ponds and embankments 4 Mickey and Minnie.

Mrs GL buys a few.

41a36465835b896027a67d6dc5ada7ef--disney-girls-disney-art.jpg

This time of year traps are set out along ponds and embankments 4 Mickey and Minnie.

Mrs GL buys a few.

41a36465835b896027a67d6dc5ada7ef--disney-girls-disney-art.jpg

Didn't you start rearing rats in concrete drain pipes at one time GL? I seem to remember that you were selling lots of them.

So tell me, just when is the hot season then ? Just wondering . . .
There are two season in Thailand. Wet & Dry. We have entered the dry season and about 6 months long. The price you pay will will be dependent on distance and equipment. The pond we had dug cost the wife 500,000 million baht.

So tell me, just when is the hot season then ? Just wondering . . .
When it exceeds 32? It hit 42 for a week while we were building our home here
There are two season in Thailand. Wet & Dry. We have entered the dry season and about 6 months long. The price you pay will will be dependent on distance and equipment. The pond we had dug cost the wife 500,000 million baht.
Thanks for reminding me. California likewise has about a 6 month dry season, just not the hot part if you're near the coast. At our farm in the Pacific NW, April is often an early spring, with low about 10, high about 20, sunny, while it is 42 in Surin. That's why we flee in late March/early April...

Thanks for reminding me. California likewise has about a 6 month dry season, just not the hot part if you're near the coast. At our farm in the Pacific NW, April is often an early spring, with low about 10, high about 20, sunny, while it is 42 in Surin. That's why we flee in late March/early April...
Speaking off.....

Im located in Kap Choeng. Two years back the 214 highway was being widen from 2 to 4 lanes (completed). My wife came in screaming WE R GOING TO GET A POND.
Her and her mom has 30 rai. 10 rai is my wife. A contractor approached my wife and struct up a deal. On her section of land she had a 50Mx50Mx15M pond built. Google Earth GPS 14.4810687926, 103.578823565 Water was hit at 3 meters and never go dry. BTW our water is not salty but is hard.
Lucky you. In our case, we hit too hard to dig hardpan at about 5 meters.

32 Is actually the mean average so that's almost every day of the year. 42 Is in fact, yes around April. So you are saying you need water for the on coming wet season.
Sorry you are not making much sense. Anyway you need a load of rat trap snares to answer the original question. Do not use poison under any circumstance.
You will kill people and dogs.

32 Is actually the mean average so that's almost every day of the year. 42 Is in fact, yes around April. So you are saying you need water for the on coming wet season.
Sorry you are not making much sense. Anyway you need a load of rat trap snares to answer the original question. Do not use poison under any circumstance.
Rice, I'm talking about the dry part of the hot season before the rains. I'm a newbie Farang, FOB, sorry, got a lot to learn. Last year, there wasn't enough rain to get the rice crop started, so my family used some lake water to jump-start the crop, then the rains finally came. Right now we're growing vegetables, which needs some irrigation as there is no rain. This is what I call the 'cool season', October to January-February. It is less than 32 most of the day. Are you referring to mean high, rather than mean (daily average) temperature? Our mean temperature here seems about 22-25C October to February or so. Once we get power and internet out to the lake/rice fields, I will put up a good weather station and have more accurate local weather, as Buriram is 1 ½ hours drive away. It gets very windy out here. Our first building, a thunderstorm started lifting our open building posts out of the ground! A nice heavy concrete slab floor cured that.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Haha! Thanks, Rice. For me, I know it's the cool season in Surin when: 1) you walk out in the morning, it's 18°C, and see your neighbors all wearing sweaters and parkas and complaining that it is VERY cold 2) the men are wearing stocking caps 3) Jingle Bells song is playing in the malls. Whereas 18°C is considered an exceptionally balmy warm spell in Washington State December, and the visiting Canuks are all wearing shorts and tee shirts as always. Anyone see the funny Swedish series set in Thailand called "30° in February"?

Gotta wonder how much Tesco Lotus has to pay for the rights to play Jingle Bells nonstop on a loop for all of December I'm waiting for the snow

Back