Dealing with a leaky roof.

P

paddyk

Some wet spots have appeared on the ceiling in our living room. This room is directly below the only flat spot of our roof. Above the living room is the outside deck off the master bedroom suite. It's all tiled here and I am wondering if the problem might be from the grout drying out, cracks in the tile themselves or something else entirely. I don't want to waste good money by replacing both the tile and grout only to find that the leak is from somewhere else. Too small of a job to bother AtB with so my question is does anyone have a good suggestion to deal with this problem before the rainy season comes and makes it worse. Ultimitely I am going to put a canopy over the entire deck so that I can enjoy sitting outside reading a book, drinking a ice cold beer and watching the sun go down.

My advise , not that I am an expert , would be to spend the money on putting the canopy now rather than later - maybe with clear side covers - see what that does then if you still have problems with leaks , you will know it is serious and take the appropriate action

In my opinion your assumption would be correct. The cracked tiles and missing grout is allowing water to seep under the tile, as untreated concrete is not water proof
prolonged periods of water sitting on the cement will eventually seep thru.The grout is being washed out because Thai bulders are to cheap to use the correct grout,
they use unsanded grout which is designed for wall use only. Floor grout has sand in it and is considerably stronger.I think your best bet is the roof idea.

Some wet spots have appeared on the ceiling in our living room. This room is directly below the only flat spot of our roof. Above the living room is the outside deck off the master bedroom suite. It's all tiled here and I am wondering if the problem might be from the grout drying out, cracks in the tile themselves or something else entirely. I don't want to waste good money by replacing both the tile and grout only to find that the leak is from somewhere else. Too small of a job to bother AtB with so my question is does anyone have a good suggestion to deal with this problem before the rainy season comes and makes it worse. Ultimitely I am going to put a canopy over the entire deck so that I can enjoy sitting outside reading a book, drinking a ice cold beer and watching the sun go down.

We have not had rain here for a good while Paddy !
It sound like you may need to hack the tiles out and add a waterproof membrane of some type ,a couple or three inches of a good waterproof mix of sand and cement would most prob do the job ,but to be honest without looking I can only guess ..

normal tiles are not water proof
some kind of membrane would help I guess

Thanks very much Lads for the advice. My gut tells me to have all the tiles pulled up, the surface leveled if needed, a watertight membrane put down(sand and cement mix as AtB advises) and finally outdoor tile if available. After that I will just cut out the water damage spot in the living room and pull up new drywall. I am going to put up a canopy once all this is done as the space is really going to waste because of the direct sunlight.

Most of the leaks in our roof seem to occur around the fastening screw holes. Is there something we could add/replace to stop that happening?

Back