"Dear Ann...signed I Am Curious Red" re: social security

C

Coffee

Dear Ann,
I'm a 35-year-old single man who is wondering about the future of Social Security.
My best friend's dad dumped his Mom a few years ago and married a foreign lady that he met in a bar on vacation in the Philippines.
I met his 63 year-old dad's 26 year-old wife at a wedding held state-side.

Mt friend told me that the relationship has caused rifts in his family.

His dad told me that in a few years he will retire and start taking social security and move to the Philippines to enjoy the relatively low cost of living there.

When I inquired as to who would take care of his young wife when he deceases
his dad replied , 'Why Social Security, of course.'

So my questions are first , is it possible that Social Security will take care of his wife and possibly any children that they may have and if affirmative second, for how many years will Social Security continue to be paying for their support ?

I am wondering about the future of my Social Security.
I Am Curious Red

So now I wish to address those two questions above to those who have knowledge about how America's Social Security system really works.
Will Social Security take care of those in that scenario given the vast difference in age between the husband and wife ?
Signed, I Am Curious Green

Not until she reaches mandatory retirement age unless she is disabled, then she can receive benefits at age 50. If they have a child younger than 16 she can get benefits earlier.
Even meeting those requirements she would not necessarily receive the full amount of the benefit.

Dear Ann,
I'm a 35-year-old single man who is wondering about the future of Social Security.
My best friend's dad dumped his Mom a few years ago and married a foreign lady that he met in a bar on vacation in the Philippines.
I met his 63 year-old dad's 26 year-old wife at a wedding held state-side.

Mt friend told me that the relationship has caused rifts in his family.

His dad told me that in a few years he will retire and start taking social security and move to the Philippines to enjoy the relatively low cost of living there.

When I inquired as to who would take care of his young wife when he deceases
his dad replied , 'Why Social Security, of course.'

So my questions are first , is it possible that Social Security will take care of his wife and possibly any children that they may have and if affirmative second, for how many years will Social Security continue to be paying for their support ?

I am wondering about the future of my Social Security.
I Am Curious Red

So now I wish to address those two questions above to those who have knowledge about how America's Social Security system really works.
Will Social Security take care of those in that scenario given the vast difference in age between the husband and wife ?
Signed, I Am Curious Green

Age has noting to do with this. For her to be eligible for his SS benefits SHE has to reside in the USA for 5 years.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...curity-benefits-for-my-thai-wife-after-i-die/

It also says on pg. 5 that she must be of retirement age or at least 60.

Children that are recognized as US Citizens can receive benefits aka registered at the US Embassy and have a US Passport.:D But the foreign wife thats has never lived in the US for 5 years straight is shit out to luck. :eek:Yes my wife has asked and I have looked into this and its sorry baby get another bank roll when I kick.:hearteyecat:

But the foreign wife thats has never lived in the US for 5 years straight is shit out to luck. :eek:Yes my wife has asked and I have looked into this and its sorry baby get another bank roll when I kick.:hearteyecat:

I believe that she understood the inherent message that she would have to wait until she turns 60.
Possibly that is why she wants the home, land, business , farm , vehicles et al now (in advance).

That stated , GL - what is the sage advice that you'd like to send to the single chaps (myself included*) on the Forum regarding marriage in Thailand (other than "Run, Forrest, Run!") ? ;;ironman;;

I currently understand that when one is legally married only THB 400,000 must be seasoned 90 days versus THB 800,000 for unmarried. That could be construed as a positive. ;;money;;

* [Caveat: Though currently I'm single I do maintain a respectful , monogamous relationship. In my book it would be considered the same as being married without affording the rights provided through a legally recognized attachment.
Note : Quite possibly I'd be considered immoral in the strict definition of marriage ...definitely by Grandma. ;;shame;;]

The Brit social security definitely will not (any more).

The UK Pensions dept WILL pay bereavement benefits for the wife and any young children in secondary education until 5th April 2016. After that nothing - and no state pension for the wife

The UK Pensions dept WILL pay bereavement benefits for the wife and any young children in secondary education until 5th April 2016. After that nothing - and no state pension for the wife

That's quite enlightening and very different from what goes on in the States.

I wonder if that type of budgetary tightening will take place on future US pension policy over the next 10 or 20 years.
(Maybe the 'Dear Ann' letter was steering towards the rationale for said change in the Social Security policy and guidelines for taking care of American taxpayers.)

UPDATE

The UK Pensions Dept had announced that the way Bereavement Benefits were to be paid would change from 6th April 2016. However, despite 2 or more years of committees etc, they have not been able to get their act together, and the changes will not now be implemented until 6th April 2017

It is not totally clear whether the Thai wives/widows of British expats will continue to be eligible for these benefits for one more year, but that would seem to be the case,

Currently, the widows can receive up to 20,000baht + per month for children whilst still in secondary education, (Widowed Parents Allowance) and if no eligible children, can receive a somewhat smaller pension for themselves for a period of just 1 year.

As indicated before, the wives of British expats are no longer eligible for state pension.

For any members out there, especially those with children, you need to consider what provision you have made or need to make for your widow, in the light of Widowed Parents allowance being dropped.

Back