Deferment of UK Pension

Most -but not all - people have an occupational pension to go with the state pension.

The current £115/week is based on full employment/payment of National insurance for 30 years (previously 44 years) Anything less and the pension is reduced pro-rata. From April 2016, a minimum of 35 NI contributions are needed to be eligible for approx £150/week, but there will still be some that do not get the fullamount.

I do know of someone locally who exists on just over 8,000baht a week. He survives, but not much more.

I've paid 33 years so I'd guess it might be cost effective to pay another 2 years. Do you agree, Nick?????? I am 8 years away from my state pension age of 66.

A quick visit to a "non frozen" country is sufficient for you to claim the increased pension whilst there.

I believe it is necessary to spend 183 days a year in a non frozen country to ensure your state pension will be increased in line with inflation annually. Rather than return to the UK, one could consider 183 days in nearby Phillipines, and then back to Thailand for the remaining 182 days.

SF could have an outreach forum for those that live temporarily in PI

I thought that may be the case, wasn't 100% sure. It also ties in with the other thread that was running recently about where to run to if Thailand got too difficult. The PI's are one of the cheapest countries in which to live, certainly cheaper than Thailand, and visa's are easier too. If you did not have one or two occupational pensions to support the State Pension the PI's become very attractive if your State Pension becomes index linked once more.

I've moved home 5 times in the last 5 years so it might be an option but I like the "ambiance" of SR, Cambodia.
Wonder if you could get a PI mailing address?

I've moved home 5 times in the last 5 years so it might be an option but I like the "ambiance" of SR, Cambodia.
Wonder if you could get a PI mailing address?

From time to time the Department of Works and Pensions will ask you to confirm that you are still alive. You will need someone of respectability within your country of residence to put pen to paper to confirm that fact. I know several of us had to verify our existence as recently as last year. The last time around I was able to find an acceptable signatory in the form of a bank official who confirmed my existence. I have also used the good offices of a Catholic priest to do the same for similar requests from my other occupational pension providers. It may throw a spanner in the works when your suitably qualified person with a Cambodian address confirms your existence, especially if you claim to be living in the PI's. Just a thought.

From time to time the Department of Works and Pensions will ask you to confirm that you are still alive. You will need someone of respectability within your country of residence to put pen to paper to confirm that fact. I know several of us had to verify our existence as recently as last year. The last time around I was able to find an acceptable signatory in the form of a bank official who confirmed my existence. I have also used the good offices of a Catholic priest to do the same for similar requests from my other occupational pension providers. It may throw a spanner in the works when your suitably qualified person with a Cambodian address confirms your existence, especially if you claim to be living in the PI's. Just a thought.

I can sign Life Certificates.

I didn't see Labour doing anything to reverse the iniquitous decision to freeze expat pensions.

Good to see a Tory paper like the Telegraph campaigning for equality.

If the Tories won the next ten elections you'll still be harking back to the days when Labour were just as bad..

Take off those rose tinted glasses. :)

If the Tories won the next ten elections you'll still be harking back to the days when Labour were just as bad..

Take off those rose tinted glasses. :)

I was simply trying to balance up the chip on your shoulder mate ;)

I've paid 33 years so I'd guess it might be cost effective to pay another 2 years. Do you agree, Nick?????? I am 8 years away from my state pension age of 66.

Most certainly worth it. Contact NI, offer to pay voluntary contributions as a self employed "something". Won't cost more than £500, and will get you at least another £8 pension every week (+2/35ths)

Obtaining a PI mailing address should be no problem (my son lives in the PI). When a life certificate is called for, a "holiday" to the PI may be in order.

Back