Door Locks

Yorky

Fullritis Member
I have today replaced the internal door handles in my house. The old ones were corroding. All the levers are lockable, twist on the "inside" and key on the "outside", and it is generally obvious which way they should be installed for the toilets and bedrooms.

However, which way round would you install the "lock" on the kitchen door?

House plan:

houseplan.jpg

As there is an external door into the kitchen, I'd fit the lock so somebody breaking in that way is stopped at that door and goes no further.

As there is an external door into the kitchen, I'd fit the lock so somebody breaking in that way is stopped at that door and goes no further.

That is how I thought and which I have done. However, in which room do you keep each of the keys Colonel Mustard?

Twist on the Lounge side / key on the Kitchen side. Then an intruder would have to break through two locked doors from the kitchen to get inside the main house.

I hope you have considered fire evacuation in your locking plan Yorky.
I have seen some over paranoid types bar themselves in.

My present home has similar locks, and a kitchen with an outside door as well as one to the living room. No one will be surprised that the builders fitted the latter with the keyhole on the living room side!

Apart from that, there are two shower heaters. The distribution board had one switch marked "shower." After turning it off, I checked to ensure the cables weren't live before fitting the first shower. Being cautious, I checked the cables in the other bathroom before connecting them to the second shower. They were live, from an unmarked switch on the same distribution board... The cable colours bore no relationship to any coding chart - in any country. I had checked them too, before starting.

Take nothing for granted.

Its not hard to break in at jeff's you just wait until he is comatose on Archa on his stoop at about 7pm & walk straight past him (please mind the cat).

If you broke in through the kitchen you might as well stay there & eat everything out of his extra large fridge & freezer. (Ive already cased the joint that's where the real value is) ThumbUp6

Its not hard to break in at jeff's you just wait until he is comatose on Archa on his stoop at about 7pm & walk straight past him (please mind the cat).

If you broke in through the kitchen you might as well stay there & eat everything out of his extra large fridge & freezer. (Ive already cased the joint that's where the real value is) ThumbUp6

Jeffrey Archa

Last edited by a moderator:
Door locks.

What really amazes me is, the sliding doors you buy in Thailand have the sliding components on the outside and, further to this, the sliding components can be lifted off to gain access, even with the lock, locked.
The windows are the same.
Security, it' like securing a cracker box.

Back