DOOR LOCKS

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
Last week I bought 2 new door locks from Thai Watsadu. Installed the first only to find there were no keys. I then chexcked the 2nd sealed package without opening it, and that too appeared to have no keys

This morning I went to thai Watsadu and took the unopened lock back. The "returns" girl immediately said it was a lock for a toilet door, and therefore had no key!!!! I pointed out that it had the hole for the key, and it was similar to the locks I have on every door in my home. She called a manager over and he pointed to Thai wording on the pack saying it was for toilet doors. I questioned why a toilet door did not need a key, especially since a child could become locked in, or someone inside taken ill. No answer.

He then took me over to the array of locks, and picked up an identical lock, which had 3 keys prominantly displayed, no wording on the identical pack about only being for toilet doors, and costing a whopping 5 baht more!!!!!!!!

Now why on earth would the manufacturer produce identical locks, one without 3 keys, and have separate package produced? Surely it is up to the consumer to decide whether or not to use the keys! All for 5 baht!!!!!!!!!!!

Your locks sound like they are the round knobset type common over here.

Where lockable access is required from both sides of the door, then keys are normally provided.

Privacy (bathroom) sets however have a push-button to lock the door on the bathroom side, with a small slot for a coin or screwdriver on the outside so that the door may be opened from the outside in an emergency.

I've never seen a privacy set supplied with keys, nor for that matter with keyholes. Which brand did you buy Nick?

When we built the house here, all the internal doors were fitted with the round knobs and all had keys. We replaced them with the lever type about 8 years ago and again all had keys. I remember asking on this forum for suggestions as to which way around to install the handles to the kitchen/lounge door. We eventually installed it with the keyhole on the kitchen side. All the other handles have the keyhole on the lounge side (or bedroom side for the en-suite).

Many years ago my boss's 18 month old daughter managed to lock herself in the bathroom and there was no key on the outside. He virtually had to break the door down to allow her out (after ensuring that she was well away from the door).

About 10 years ago Aussie George managed to inadvertently lock his bathroom door in his rented house. Again there were no keys. I lent him my skeleton key.

Big Ammer s.jpg

Your locks sound like they are the round knobset type common over here.

Where lockable access is required from both sides of the door, then keys are normally provided.

Privacy (bathroom) sets however have a push-button to lock the door on the bathroom side, with a small slot for a coin or screwdriver on the outside so that the door may be opened from the outside in an emergency.

I've never seen a privacy set supplied with keys, nor for that matter with keyholes. Which brand did you buy Nick?
Hmmmmmm

All my locks on wooden doors, including the recent purchases, are of the round knob set type

All have keyholes on the outside (and apart from recent ones) push-buttons on the inside. They provide security from outside and privacy from inside, whether a bedroom, man cave or similar.. The designated toilet door lock also has a proper keyhole, not a slot to be used in an emergency.

The brand IsOn Cylindrical Entrance Lock

bA-SXLgHrk9Qv80gWR9v9Lp1pZ95idfzMOGuHlFzfe1RaVdc2pIdJJ8ZjfQJggPaRmmIfj0fA_Yh0Z3IUd0iFRHtljV225dw4CpW98W5cSAvSf86BoOFcA

If you have a dog (or six) why would one require locks on the doors of a rural Thai village residence ? (Aren't we all family ?)

As far as bathrooms is the lock to stop your wife's girlfriends from jumping in the shower with you ?

Just wonderin' unless you're residing among treacherous bastards...

Hmmmmmm

All my locks on wooden doors, including the recent purchases, are of the round knob set type

All have keyholes on the outside (and apart from recent ones) push-buttons on the inside. They provide security from outside and privacy from inside, whether a bedroom, man cave or similar.. The designated toilet door lock also has a proper keyhole, not a slot to be used in an emergency.

The brand IsOn Cylindrical Entrance Lock

bA-SXLgHrk9Qv80gWR9v9Lp1pZ95idfzMOGuHlFzfe1RaVdc2pIdJJ8ZjfQJggPaRmmIfj0fA_Yh0Z3IUd0iFRHtljV225dw4CpW98W5cSAvSf86BoOFcA
I have similar locks to the one in the photo, albeit they are bronze in colour, not silver. They have press buttons on the inside of the room, keyholes on the outside, keys were provided too. Both bathrooms have similar locks. The girls in the family like to lock themselves in the loo for privacy, and I admit I do too to avoid any embarrassing situations. The press button lock is a useful function.

When we built the house here, all the internal doors were fitted with the round knobs and all had keys. We replaced them with the lever type about 8 years ago and again all had keys. I remember asking on this forum for suggestions as to which way around to install the handles to the kitchen/lounge door. We eventually installed it with the keyhole on the kitchen side. All the other handles have the keyhole on the lounge side (or bedroom side for the en-suite).

Many years ago my boss's 18 month old daughter managed to lock herself in the bathroom and there was no key on the outside. He virtually had to break the door down to allow her out (after ensuring that she was well away from the door).

About 10 years ago Aussie George managed to inadvertently lock his bathroom door in his rented house. Again there were no keys. I lent him my skeleton key.

I used Weiser knob-sets back in the UK 40 years ago. They are very similar to many here, but lasted me much longer! Their privacy sets had no keys or keyholes - just the button on the inside and a small hole in the outside knob to accept a metal pin that depressed the mechanism to release the lock.

Here, all my internal doors have either a privacy knob-set or one that accepts a key to release the lock from either side. External doors have a single, key operated lock on the outside, and a push-button on the inside.

I used Weiser knob-sets back in the UK 49 years ago. They are very similar to many here, but lasted me much longer! Their privacy sets had no keys or keyholes - just the button on the inside and a small hole in the outside knob to accept a metal pin that depressed the mechanism to release the lock.

Here, all my internal doors have either a privacy knob-set or one that accepts a key to release the lock from either side. External doors have a single, key operated lock on the outside, and a push-button on the inside.
Surely the privacy sets were less private that those that were key operated. Only the correct key would open the door from outside, yet a metal pin. paper clip, toothpick or similar item readily available would allow entry!

Surely the privacy sets were less private that those that were key operated. Only the correct key would open the door from outside, yet a metal pin. paper clip, toothpick or similar item readily available would allow entry!
True enough, except that safety is usually more important than privacy, and is the reason why no keys are involved. It is because a child could be trapped inside the room concerned who, without a key, could still be released in case of emergency.

Back