Driving Licenses

J

johnb

I just went to the offices to request Thai driving licenses for both motorbike and car. I had all the paperwork ready including certificate of residence from Immigration and doctor's report.

I entered the building at 11h40, went upstairs, was seen immediately, did the reaction and depth perception tests, was photographed, paid my 360 baht and left at 12h01 with licenses in my hand. Very impressed by the speed and ease of the process.

Two of the ladies who had been dealing with me left at exactly the same time as I did to begin their lunchbreak....I wonder if that had anything to do with their speed and efficiency?

Whatever, no complaints!

I just went to the offices to request Thai driving licenses for both motorbike and car. I had all the paperwork ready including certificate of residence from Immigration and doctor's report.

I entered the building at 11h40, went upstairs, was seen immediately, did the reaction and depth perception tests, was photographed, paid my 360 baht and left at 12h01 with licenses in my hand. Very impressed by the speed and ease of the process.

Two of the ladies who had been dealing with me left at exactly the same time as I did to begin their lunchbreak....I wonder if that had anything to do with their speed and efficiency?

Whatever, no complaints!
Maybe you was meant to take them for there lunch mate :eek::eek: ,

The Gorgeous Lek is still bemused by being granted a Level 2 License which includes truck and bus as well as real car, pickup and minibus. On renewal, she even went to watch the Level 2 video - only woman among neatly-uniformed bus drivers and burly truck drivers. She now knows how to wear her uniform properly and how to speak nicely with passengers. Somebody ticked the wrong box on the application form? Now we don't know whether to start a tour bus company or a trucking business!

The Gorgeous Lek is still bemused by being granted a Level 2 License which includes truck and bus as well as real car, pickup and minibus. On renewal, she even went to watch the Level 2 video - only woman among neatly-uniformed bus drivers and burly truck drivers. She now knows how to wear her uniform properly and how to speak nicely with passengers. Somebody ticked the wrong box on the application form? Now we don't know whether to start a tour bus company or a trucking business!

Hey Bill
Maybe AtB might need a driver for his 6 wheeler one day!

Make it a bus company Bill - then you can walk round the bus selling the tickets!

Attachments

• bus ticket collector.jpg
    bus ticket collector.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 106
Just resurrecting this thread. Since last posting I have been stopped on my scooter by the police at the Elephant Roundabout. I took out my Thai driving license and the cop said "Oh you have Thai driving license, off you go, have a nice day" or words to that effect.

A couple of times people in shops have spotted my Thai driving license, which comes out of my pocket with cash when I'm paying, and said "Wow, you farang have Thai driving license, I no have" or words to that effect.

All this makes me wonder what percentage of the Thai drivers on the road actually have licenses....I am thinking it must be rather low! Any of you guys have any idea about this?

Just resurrecting this thread. Since last posting I have been stopped on my scooter by the police at the Elephant Roundabout. I took out my Thai driving license and the cop said "Oh you have Thai driving license, off you go, have a nice day" or words to that effect.

A couple of times people in shops have spotted my Thai driving license, which comes out of my pocket with cash when I'm paying, and said "Wow, you farang have Thai driving license, I no have" or words to that effect.

All this makes me wonder what percentage of the Thai drivers on the road actually have licenses....I am thinking it must be rather low! Any of you guys have any idea about this?

ZERRO:eek:

I've no idea as the percentage without but I would guess its pretty high. Otherwise, why do the police target motorbikes in particular at the check points? They know they are going to get rich pickings.

I know one young lady who regularly drives her boyfriend around in his top-of-the range Isuzu pickup worth the best part of a million baht. I have pointed out to both of them that this is not a good idea, especially as the car is still on finance. I say, "no licence - no insurance - no cover in case of accident". "Who is going to pay for the cost to repair the car should you have an accident"? "If you are really unlucky and kill someone too it could be a pretty expensive mistake". Makes no difference to either of them. He still drinks beer and she still drives him home when he is drunk! They seem to think its the lesser of two evils.

I bet they'll stil laugh with you when they tell their friends your advice. Amazing Thailand WTF1

I've no idea as the percentage without but I would guess its pretty high. Otherwise, why do the police target motorbikes in particular at the check points? They know they are going to get rich pickings.

I know one young lady who regularly drives her boyfriend around in his top-of-the range Isuzu pickup worth the best part of a million baht. I have pointed out to both of them that this is not a good idea, especially as the car is still on finance. I say, "no licence - no insurance - no cover in case of accident". "Who is going to pay for the cost to repair the car should you have an accident"? "If you are really unlucky and kill someone too it could be a pretty expensive mistake". Makes no difference to either of them. He still drinks beer and she still drives him home when he is drunk! They seem to think its the lesser of two evils.

Digressing slightly onto insurance.....when we first bought a car here in Thailand I had quite a battle with Mrs B about insurance. "Thai people do not do this" was the gist of her arguement. I was holding out for as fully comprehensive as I could get, not wishing to be under-insured having had an accident for which, as a farang, I would surely be to blame for.

When my brother-in-law wrote off our car one day and we received a good sum of money from the insurance company, my wife was converted. Now she is a big fan of insurance...we have our lives insured, her father´s work against sickness or injury, my step-daughter´s eyelashes, the buffalo and rubber trees we own in the village...I exaggerate only slightly!

Digressing slightly onto insurance.....when we first bought a car here in Thailand I had quite a battle with Mrs B about insurance. "Thai people do not do this" was the gist of her arguement. I was holding out for as fully comprehensive as I could get, not wishing to be under-insured having had an accident for which, as a farang, I would surely be to blame for.

When my brother-in-law wrote off our car one day and we received a good sum of money from the insurance company, my wife was converted. Now she is a big fan of insurance...we have our lives insured, her father´s work against sickness or injury, my step-daughter´s eyelashes, the buffalo and rubber trees we own in the village...I exaggerate only slightly!

John, if you are the 'breadwinner' should YOU not be the most important party to be insured?
Just askin' like?????? :wink:

Only just saw this SF. Yep, I am the bread(rice)winner. Have to think about our insurance profile, overall!
Sorry won't see you at the SF do tomorrow.

Only just saw this SF. Yep, I am the bread(rice)winner. Have to think about our insurance profile, overall!
Sorry won't see you at the SF do tomorrow.

Yes, feelings mutial, mate. Hope you all had a good time there in Surin. Im here in Sin City having a Bikerfest (honest!!!)

truck/bus license

I saw a reference to license for truck/bus further up in this thread.

Is it possible for baksiida to get a license for 6/10 wheeler in Surin?
Anybody done it?
(Have Thai bike and 4/wheel license. Have international and national license
covering 6/10 wheelers.)

Anyone in the know on this?

I saw a reference to license for truck/bus further up in this thread.

Is it possible for baksiida to get a license for 6/10 wheeler in Surin?
Anybody done it?
(Have Thai bike and 4/wheel license. Have international and national license
covering 6/10 wheelers.)

Anyone in the know on this?

Pm Alan the Builder cos he owns a 6 wheeler as part of the ever increasing AtB fleet! 555

I had obtained my yellow book prior to applying for my first annual extension at KC.
While at the visa office I decided to set in motion obtaining my Thai driving licence - KC supplied me with an appropriately stamped letter containing my photograph and charged me 500 baht for it.
I duely went along in Surin to obtain my driving licence and was told as I had a yellow book they didn't need the KC letter - KC knew I had the yellow book as it formed part of my annual extension application so charitably I am assuming it was nothing to do with the 500 baht charge and it is either KC or the Surin transport office who don't know the rules

Back