Electric shocks in the shower

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Yesterday my wife was experiencing electric shocks from the shower fitting. I checked and couldn't feel anything. It happened again to her and this time when I touched the metal parts of the fittings I received a little more than a tingle; not static I don't think. Current was indicated by a "testing" screwdriver. It even occurred when the shower breaker was turned off. Turning off the main bathroom breaker solved the "leak". The "live" metal components were isolated by plastic pipes so I thought "is the water carrying a current?"

We rang the sparks and he arrived today. He cannot find anything wrong - with both breakers turned on there was now no sign of a current.

For many years, whether here or back in the UK, I have been able to feel a "tingle" in my fingers when I touch some electrical appliances. These can be either two or three pin. They include the sound system through which the tv is played, the tv itself, and several other items, but not all appliances. The remote control for the Apple TV box operates it smoothly for my stepson and his sister, but when I try to scroll up and down the screen, it sometimes responds correctly, but often skips or fails to control it at all. There doesn't appear to be any obvious fault detectable, and other members of the family don't experience the "tingling" previously described.

The charging cable for my android phone, and the one for my Ipad will, if in a USB port, cause a similar tingle when they are in contact with my skin. I try to keep them disconnected as much as possible, but kids tend to leave them plugged in which is when the sensations start.

I'm also prone to static "shocks" off supermarket trolleys, but not so much here where carpets and socks are rare!
Has anyone any ideas please, short of screwing a static discharge strap to my ankles?

We rang the sparks and he arrived today. He cannot find anything wrong - with both breakers turned on there was now no sign of a current.
For many years, whether here or back in the UK, I have been able to feel a "tingle" in my fingers when I touch some electrical appliances. These can be either two or three pin. They include the sound system through which the tv is played, the tv itself, and several other items, but not all appliances. The remote control for the Apple TV box operates it smoothly for my stepson and his sister, but when I try to scroll up and down the screen, it sometimes responds correctly, but often skips or fails to control it at all. There doesn't appear to be any obvious fault detectable, and other members of the family don't experience the "tingling" previously described.

The charging cable for my android phone, and the one for my Ipad will, if in a USB port, cause a similar tingle when they are in contact with my skin. I try to keep them disconnected as much as possible, but kids tend to leave them plugged in which is when the sensations start.

I'm also prone to static "shocks" off supermarket trolleys, but not so much here where carpets and socks are rare!
Has anyone any ideas please, short of screwing a static discharge strap to my ankles?

After 2½ hours of checking and rechecking the sparks has concluded that it is likely an earth problem. The one thing that he did find is that the cable to one of the rice cookers was faulty (my wife has only been using this rice cooker since Saturday). However, he will return soon to install a new main earth to the consumer unit.

My garden lights gave me a shock 2/3 weeks ago when I touched one as one of the holding screws had come out. My "testing screwdriver" indicated all light casings had an electric current. Solved by turning the 2 pin plug round in the socket!

My garden lights gave me a shock 2/3 weeks ago when I touched one as one of the holding screws had come out. My "testing screwdriver" indicated all light casings had an electric current. Solved by turning the 2 pin plug round in the socket!

I do have two pin plugs but many, particularly kitchen equipment, have three pin plugs which cannot be turned around.

You need a 2pin/3pin adapter, plug the appliance into to the adapter and the 2 pin end into the wall socket, Turn it round and see if that helps

I have a couple of those that I haven't used for years. However, that will not solve the earth problem (if there is one).

After 2½ hours of checking and rechecking the sparks has concluded that it is likely an earth problem. The one thing that he did find is that the cable to one of the rice cookers was faulty (my wife has only been using this rice cooker since Saturday). However, he will return soon to install a new main earth to the consumer unit.
I was going to say that I'd bet it an Earthing problem. I know very little about electrics but as a plumber have fitted quite a few electric shower back in Blighty.

I was going to say that I'd bet it an Earthing problem. I know very little about electrics but as a plumber have fitted quite a few electric shower back in Blighty.
Id say mate, spot on. Ditch the old unit, install a new one and ensure there is an earth, ( Green wire ) involved. Also, get a sparkie ( if you can find one ) to do a Mega test on the earthing.

Back