Even the BBC has picked up on this

Although some of what she says is true ( to an extent ) I think Laural Tuohy should take off those Rose tinted Glasses ,Thailand isn't what it was 20 years ago, things are changing ....and fast !

Last edited:
In our native lands one is quicker in saying 'Fark off' than 'Positively yes'.
Most sober folk have to think about something before providing an absolute affirmative reply.

Possibly think is the operative word.

Thais usually will say yes and then completely forget about what they agreed to do...that obviously becomes a no.
Writing something down as a reminder (other than on their hand) is a rare occurence.

Obviously I'm a bad Thai. "No" (repeated three times) is my favorite expression.

She should stay longer and get out a bit. Most miserable shithole in Asia. Was she writing for a travel company?
The country's under military rule because the mental midgets can't get on with each other. It's a country where class rules. Crazy driving and young men and boys force uni students off scooters and then rape and kill and not charged by police as daddy's knows someone. Taxi drivers that have every intention of ripping you off. Corruption is rife and the author wrote nothing about the truth but the land of smiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you learned all this after how many years visiting the country you call a shytehole. :flushed:

Please don't tell me that you built a home here as well...:rolleyes:

I wonder what other members who have made a conscious decision to move here and start families here think about what you wrote.
(Do any members have the balls to reply ?)

Please don't take me wrong Surin...I always like to read what others have to say. We may not always agree but I want to hear the other side of the coin.

(Let's see what others think.)

And you learned all this after how many years visiting the country you call a shytehole. :flushed:

I wonder what other members who have made a conscious decision to move here and start families here think about what you wrote.

Please don't take me wrong Surin...I always like to read what others have to say. We may not always agree but I want to hear the other side of the coin.

If I did I would get banned.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have balls and speak the truth. You have invested nothing in the country you protect. Easy for you to sit back and pick off as you do. Maybe you're not tolerated in you home country and nothing to go back to.
So tell me, what was not correct in what I wrote? I sure as hell spent a lot longer in Thailand than you have and employed many and still do. I own 3 homes and a factory there, but I also realize how hard it is to put up with the crap.
Tell us now Coffee.. Why did you settle in Thailand.. You must be sick of the temples by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
And when you lived here, Surin, (and criticised the country and its people) you always used to tell us how you loved it here.

I have balls and speak the truth. You have invested nothing in the country you protect. Easy for you to sit back and pick off as you do. Maybe you're not tolerated in you home country and nothing to go back to.
So tell me, what was not correct in what I wrote? I sure as hell spent a lot longer in Thailand than you have and employed many and still do. I own 3 homes and a factory there, but I also realize how hard it is to put up with the crap.
Tell us now Coffee.. Why did you settle in Thailand.. You must be sick of the temples by now.

You really want to talk the shit, Surin ?
Why the heck would I purchase a home or business here particularly after reading some of the things you along with others write ?
Is the land my land - No. Am I a citizen - No. So why do I have to invest anything here ? (Am I stoopid?)...
Do I have to be stoopid because others have done it many times before me ?

On the other subject you obviously know shyte about me, where I come from and what I have done.
I can return safely to the greatest country on Earth though albeit more expensive to reside in.
As well I would probably have to work 9 - 5, obtain and maintain health insurance, have to learn to enjoy sex with older ladies or pay-to-play, not be chauvanistic in my attitude, etc.

Why do I live here? Simple Surin.
It's affordable and I don't require a job in order to make ends meet.

I didn't come here to populate the planet nor assist bringing uneducated Thai farmers into my home country to mooch the system.
I don't run an export business to take advantage of the lower pay labour force.

Does my answer cure your negativity and anger ?
Of course not. We each have different experiences in our lives.
I personally don't require keeping up with the Joneses particularly if they're not happy.
Cancer can sufficiently teach that lesson.

So you're what we call a bludger.. Just take and give nothing back.

And when you lived here, Surin, (and criticised the country and its people) you always used to tell us how you loved it here.
Right, still love living there... But the Thais make it very hard or maybe I'm on my own with that feeling.

No Surin, I'm not pimping.

I support a Thai family who basically have zilch, kid in school/ kid in Uni, mother and father.
In turn they try to make my life comfortable.
I didn't marry or make babies in Thailand.
For me it's afterall just a relationship, not pinning the end of the world on the goalpost yonder.

If name calling is your forté - feel free.
To others I'm simply a retired expat.

Your disillusionment is firmly set in your mind. I don't have to share it as obviously our expectations are different.
Seize your day, daddy. ;)

The way we take things is so different.... one man's meat is another man's poison.

I came to Thailand with my eyes firmly shut, but as you could probably say anywhere, I learnt to know the country and love its people.

When I was diagnosed with cancer, Thais rallied round to help. My long-term friend Pong looked after me in Chiangmai, and locally the village vet undertook to give me transport as and when I need it, to the detriment of his own business. I cannot praise him too highly. This involved staying with me at the hospital for several hours when I started each chemo cycle. The nurses are cheerful too, something important to patients who have to spend a lot of time there.

Different places suit different people. I freely admit that two places where I have spent a lot of time, Switzerland and Singapore, are much better developed than Thailand...... but I couldn't bear to live in either.

I think we each enjoy Thailand for our own reasons, some of those reasons we hold common with others, some we do not. For me, I fell in love with the Far East as it was then, back in the late '60s when I was still a boy. I always thought I would finish off my days out there. I hadn't really thought about Thailand as such although Malaysia and the Philippines were distinct possibilities. Now I am here and have been for the past 15 years, by accident rather than by design. I enjoy now a close family life with my wife and 2 daughters. The climate suits me well, much better than the damp, cold and gloomy UK weather. The baht in my pocket goes much further than the £ Sterling would ever do in the UK. I am not rich but I hope I have sufficient retired income to support myself and my family in a comfortable lifestyle. Do I have any real dislikes? I guess I do. I don't like the thinking that a loan is a 'give me', something borrowed never to be returned, whether it is money, goods or anything else. I don't like the attitude that my rich Farang brother-in-law should support me, my wife and 3 children for the rest of my life. And I don't, in case you are interested. I don't like the attitude that the world owes me a living because I am too lazy to work. I fully embrace the late King's self sufficiency philosophy, "Work hard and you will prosper, be lazy and you will be poor." Those that are too lazy to work have no one else to blame but themselves. And finally, I do not like to hear expats and Farangs knocking their adopted country, whether they live here or not. It has it's warts and wrinkles as any country might have but, on balance, I think it suits me fine. I think its time to adopt a Thai saying, "mai pen rai", and think about the good, positive things that we like and enjoy rather than the negative ones.

Did Nomad actually write that...particularly those last three sentences ?

Wonders never cease to amaze me.
Good on you (or better check your meds.) :rolleyes:

I'm sure Surin has his reasons for feeling the way he does.
I cannot really comment as I am only here in short bursts. There are things that infuriate me, but the things I love totally outweigh those.
I would not start a business here, but as Nomad says above about the old King, that is how (finally!!) my wife is making the most of what we have.
Things like having chickens, eating the eggs we need and selling the excess. Same with mushrooms, tomatoes other kinds of fruit and veg. We have small land but have many different animals and plants. In UK I might have a small garden, here I have a few acres. I know where I would rather be.

So you're what we call a bludger.. Just take and give nothing back.
9c0d92905e1656d8aadf1f47fe5eb58d.jpg

Did Nomad actually write that...particularly those last three sentences ?

Wonders never cease to amaze me.
Good on you (or better check your meds.) :rolleyes:
Yep! My words and mine alone. I think my meds are off at the moment - time to see the head shrink maybe. Either that or the straight jacket.

I was sure I had logged onto Thaivisa by mistake. Name calling and negativity seem to be the standard on that forum. In my opinion Thailand is a compromise, sure it's corrupt, the work ethic and educational standards leave a lot to be desired and the level of hygiene as far as most markets and public resteraunts go is abysmal. The weather, the friendliness of the average person and a beautiful woman half my age far out way the negatives. To each is own

Last edited:
Back