Expired Thai driving licence

Yorky

Fullritis Member
My divvy wife discovered yesterday that her driving licence (car) expired 6 months ago. She is intending to renew it tomorrow. Does anyone know if she'll be required to take another "driving test"? She's Thai.

I don't know about a driving test. But she will probaly have to sit through the instructional video, in the sleep room. That's what I call it as was full of folks sleeping through the video. They should have to do a short test on what they saw.
But alas.

I don't know about a driving test. But she will probaly have to sit through the instructional video, in the sleep room. That's what I call it as was full of folks sleeping through the video. They should have to do a short test on what they saw.
But alas.

When I last renewed my Thai licence I had to endure the "sleep room" video, but luckily, only for 30 minutes (I arrived late). However, I did not need to take the written test, only the colour blindness and reaction test. Although I did renew my licence before the old one expired.

My divvy wife discovered yesterday that her driving licence (car) expired 6 months ago. She is intending to renew it tomorrow. Does anyone know if she'll be required to take another "driving test"? She's Thai.

She will have to take a bunch of tests for vision and reflexes as well as an extensive test on driving rules, regulations and signs. She will also have to watch film about driving safety. She will not need to take a behind the wheel test.

This all sounds like the driving test I took many moons ago in Kuala Lumpur. It consisted of two parts:-

1. Question: If you are approaching a narrow bridge, and a bus is coming from the opposite direction, what would you do?
Answer: Wait until it had gone by. It's bigger than me.

2. On the road. Drive up to a roundabout, go round it, and drive back.

Of course I passed (but then I'd taken a guaranteed pass course)

Sorry, not very helpful.sorry1

I never took a test in Malaysia. They appeared to accept my British licence.

However, around 1981/2 or so, I applied for a driving licence in Qatar. It consisted of answering a few road signs questions (virtually all based upon the British system) and an eye test. The eye test was similar to our own but was a reducing size of upper case "E"s all pointing in different directions (up, down, left, right). The examiner pointed to one of the "E"s and you needed to indicate which way it was pointing. Piece o'piss really but for farangs they only concentrated on the top three rows and the chart was only just behind the desk. For Indians, Pakistanis, Egyptians,etc, the chart was the full length of a 5 metre corridor!

My boss at the time was not allowed to take the test with his glasses on because on his proffered photograph intended for the licence, he was not wearing glasses. We got over it.

She has returned from the licence office. The normal "sleep through the video", reaction, colour blindness and distance test was required but no written test. She was told to come back tomorrow (at 12:00 noon) but spoke to the boss who had it sorted by 13:30. She said overall the whole thing was chaotic and no-one had a clue what was going on.

However, she was advised that in future the video will be FOUR hours long.

She has returned from the licence office. The normal "sleep through the video", reaction, colour blindness and distance test was required but no written test. She was told to come back tomorrow (at 12:00 noon) but spoke to the boss who had it sorted by 13:30. She said overall the whole thing was chaotic and no-one had a clue what was going on.

However, she was advised that in future the video will be FOUR hours long.

FF'sS - not 4 hours! 15 minutes is bad enough.

FF'sS - not 4 hours! 15 minutes is bad enough.

Jeeez. 4 Hours that is a decent sleep followed by Somtam Khaow Nioew Gai Yang.

Maybe the meal will come first though. Thais can't go four hours without a meal break surely.

Back