Extension or Border Run?

W

Wombat

Seeking some input and knowledge about my options.

I entered Thailand using a Non O multi entry Visa, my permission to stay expires at the end of July.

I assume I will have to do a border crossing at Chong Chom or a similar border crossing then to get another 90 days. If not I will have to fly out and return by air.

My Visa has an expiry date of early March 2023, can I extend this Visa now? Or, do I have to wait until close to it's expiry date and continue to do border crossings every 90 days? Reason I would like to extend it now is I have the money in the bank for the required time and may not have it later.

IMG20220618100701.jpg

Seeking some input and knowledge about my options.

I entered Thailand using a Non O multi entry Visa, my permission to stay expires at the end of July.

I assume I will have to do a border crossing at Chong Chom or a similar border crossing then to get another 90 days. If not I will have to fly out and return by air.

My Visa has an expiry date of early March 2023, can I extend this Visa now? Or, do I have to wait until close to it's expiry date and continue to do border crossings every 90 days? Reason I would like to extend it now is I have the money in the bank for the required time and may not have it later.

View attachment 51022
Message me about an alternative route that can be done in an adjoining province

I still don't have a definitive answer. After digesting what I have learned at Asean Now I am still unsure which way to go but I'm leaning towards border runs up until mid February next year. I think I can do 2 at land crossings and one by air. I can apply for the extension in mid February. I think.

OR

I could also do my 12 month extension early July and not worry about border runs etc. I think.

What do you actually WANT to do Wombat?

You can choose when YOU want to the extension but do it in the last month of your permission to stay. If you have plans to visit Oz, for example, be mindful of the likely timing in relation to those plans. Extend in July and that becomes your annual extension date - I am stuck with 19 June each year which means I can't always plan my holidays how I would like to.

Unless you have a desire to cross a border why bother doing a border run just to keep adding another 90 days to your permission to stay? OK, you have paid for the multi-entry visa and you have every right to use it up to the expiry date - used correctly that will effectively give you 15 months stay in Thailand from the multiple-entry visa. As said, you don't extend your visa, you extend your permission to stay.

Remember that the 400k in a Thai bank account needs to be seasoned for 2 months prior to your application.

Personally, if I was living permanently in Thailand I would do the extension sooner rather than later. Visit Immigration at the start of July with the necessary paperwork (plenty of posts on here about that). You will be granted 0ne month's stay whilst 'under consideration' - later you go back when the 12 month extension has been approved.

As you are aware, with a Non-Imm 'O' visa (multiple entry) you have to leave the country every 90 days. With an extension you don't, instead you have to report your address every 90 days (at the moment - currently under review). If you need to leave the country during the currency of your extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit. Single re-entry 1,000 Baht, multiple re-entry 3,800 Baht.

(Don't get bogged downwith 60 day extensions to visit your wife - unless it particularly suits your travel plans. It is just something that you are eligible to do being married to a Thai. You still pay 1,900 Baht for any extension so I would just get on do the 12 month extension.

Last edited:
What do you actually WANT to do Wombat?

You can choose when YOU want to the extension but do it in the last month of your permission to stay. If you have plans to visit Oz, for example, be mindful of the likely timing in relation to those plans. Extend in July and that becomes your annual extension date - I am stuck with 19 June each year which means I can't always plan my holidays how I would like to.

Unless you have a desire to cross a border why bother doing a border run just to keep adding another 90 days to your permission to stay? OK, you have paid for the multi-entry visa and you have every right to use it up to the expiry date - used correctly that will effectively give you 15 months stay in Thailand from the multiple-entry visa. As said, you don't extend your visa, you extend your permission to stay.

Remember that the 400k in a Thai bank account needs to be seasoned for 2 months prior to your application.

Personally, if I was living permanently in Thailand I would do the extension sooner rather than later. Visit Immigration at the start of July with the necessary paperwork (plenty of posts on here about that). You will be granted 0ne month's stay whilst 'under consideration' - later you go back when the 12 month extension has been approved.

As you are aware, with a Non-Imm 'O' visa (multiple entry) you have to leave the country every 90 days. With an extension you don't, instead you have to report your address every 90 days (at the moment - currently under review). If you need to leave the country during the currency of your extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit. Single re-entry 1,000 Baht, multiple re-entry 3,800 Baht.

(Don't get bogged downwith 60 day extensions to visit your wife - unless it particularly suits your travel plans. It is just something that you are eligible to do being married to a Thai. You still pay 1,900 Baht for any extension so I would just get on do the 12 month extension.
Thanks CO-CO, I'm hearing you. The annual extension date was also high on my important things list, I would prefer to do it mid year and away from Public Holidays etc.

I'm leaning towards doing the extension sooner rather than later. I did annual extensions for 5 years when I first moved here and it was a pain but so are border runs. My last extension was based on retirement but I think I'll go the marriage route this time.

Whether it's of any use: I applied for my first extension of stay 20 years ago. I also had a 12 month multi but I was working (out of Thailand) at the time so I waited until the last quarter of my visa (and when I had scraped a few bob together in the bank). Applying for the extension based upon retirement was a piece o' pish at that time requiring little more than a letter from the bank (to confirm a balance of in excess of ฿800,000.00) and copies of a few pages of your passbook and passport.

The requirements are likely more stringent now - they are for renewal of your extension of stay anyway.

I am surprised that Canberra embassy issued "Multi" O again. For some strange reason multis were removed from everywhere except Savanakhet.
The last time I tried they issued a single and refunded me in cash from the fee for a multi.
How did you know? @Wombat or was that just dumb luck that you applied for a multi and got one.

I am surprised that Canberra embassy issued "Multi" O again. For some strange reason multis were removed from everywhere except Savanakhet.
The last time I tried they issued a single and refunded me in cash from the fee for a multi.
How did you know? @Wombat or was that just dumb luck that you applied for a multi and got one.

I was also surprised to see that, the UK has not issued multiple entry non-o's for several years.

(Savanakhet was the salvation of many who couldn't show sufficient funds for a normal extension).

Back