Farang and its meaning or meanings

D

Double Vision

ORIGIN OF THE WORD "FARANG"
A wide-spread belief in Thailand is that the word "farang" (Caucasian) is derived from the French word "francais". This derivation is implausible on phonetic and historical grounds. It is in fact a popular misconception. It is true, however, that these words have the same ultimate source.

The word is attested in various forms in languages in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, and Southeast Asia. It is clear that the word originated as "Frank" in Europe and spread eastwards along Muslim trade routes.

Thai most likely borrowed the word from influential Muslim Persian or Indian traders in the 17th century or even earlier. The Persian word was "farangg". The term probably was used to refer to early Portuguese traders and subsequently to all Europeans (ie., non-Muslims).

It is possible that the Thai word "farangset" ("French") is a blend of the word "farang" and the French word "francais", ie., "farangset" is actually derived from "farang", not vice versa. Certainly, the word "farang" existed prior to, and independently of, "farangset".

Source: soc.culture.thai FAQ

Farang the food

Farang is also the Thai word for the guava fruit, which of course can lead to "farang eating farang" (Thai: ฝรั่งกินฝรั่ง) jokes from Thai people when foreigners are seen eating a guava in Thailand. This is because the guava was brought to then Siam by Portuguese traders over 400 years ago. The tree was thus called the farang fruit.

Some of us europeans get irritated by being referred to as "farang" all the time by Thais. Very interesting article in BKK Post magazine the other day (sorry no link!) explaining in some detail the origin of the term, much as in the article above, and explaining that Thais generally have respect for farangs as they see them as sophisticated ,well organised nations. The general point of the article was that we should not mind being referred to as farangs.

JohnB

As a general term of reference, what do you expect them to refer to you as? Foreigners (which roughly = farangs), whites (which is worse), Europeans (which is inaccurate)... or something mildly abusive?

I do object slightly, however, when someone refers to me as 'farang' when he knows my name perfectly well.

So do I,Mike. I have been brought (or dragged) up to use peoples first names to be polite and friendly, even though that was the last reason I got banned off ThaiVisa!

I blasphemed by saying......... Jehovah,Jehovah. No not really, I said Thanks Ray to Ray Coffee Corner!

My ex-wife's relatives including sisters and mother in law used to refer to me as the 'Prung' or 'Falang'...unless the crunts wanted something and they remembered my name or called me 'Por Kimmy' referring to me as my son's father.

If you are referring to calling us farangs, no, it's nothing like it. As I said above, it's not rude; what else can they call us as a general reference?

I don't know Mike, but we don't call them 'Thai' or 'Asian' when we want there attention or acknowlege there presence. I suppose they could call us 'Khun' or whatever, but not bluntly referring to your race being different to theirs.

I don't know Mike, but we don't call them 'Thai' or 'Asian' when we want there attention or acknowlege there presence. I suppose they could call us 'Khun' or whatever, but not bluntly referring to your race being different to theirs.

I said 'as a general reference', not face to face. They usually call me 'You', which is polite in Thai, but sounds rude in English.

As already said....it's talking amongst themselves and saying Farang about me when they perfectly well know my name that is irksome. I always interupt and say, very politely, sorry but my name is John. Then it's all smiles and Mr John to avoid any loss of face.

As Isanbirder says, one can understand use of the term as a general reference, as we would say " you know how Thai people are about such and such".

JohnB

Farang and food

Farang is also the Thai word for the guava fruit, which of course can lead to "farang eating farang" (Thai: ฝรั่งกินฝรั่ง) jokes from Thai people when foreigners are seen eating a guava in Thailand. This is because the guava was brought to then Siam by Portuguese traders over 400 years ago. The tree was thus called the farang fruit. Farang khi nok (Thai: ฝรั่งขี้นก) is a particular variety of guava, feijoa. Unruly foreigners may also be called Farang khi nok. This is usually taken to mean "bird-shit farang", as khi means waste and nok means (wild) bird; but, while khi nok may mean guano, it is also a species of fish, Diagramma pictum, a species of grunts Haemulidae.[14]
Varieties of food/produce which were introduced by Europeans are often called 'farang' varieties. Hence, potatoes are man farang (Thai: มันฝรั่ง), whereas man (Thai: มัน) alone can be any variety tuber; culantro is called phak chi farang (Thai: ผักชีฝรั่ง, literally farang cilantro/coriander); and chewing gum is mak farang (Thai: หมากฝรั่ง). Mak (Thai: หมาก) is Thai for betel, which many rural Thais chew for the euphoria it gives. When chewing gum was introduced, it was labeled mak farang, from association with a "chew".
In the Isan Lao dialect, the guava is called mak sida (Thai: หมากสีดา) or bak sida (Thai: บักสีดา); the latter may also refer to a farang.[15]
[edit]

I need to be honest here...I know refer to my missus brother by his first name...

I usually just say ya lazy useless brother wants you to buy him more beer cause I sure as ^&*% ain't going to..

Rarely if ever am I called Fulang by my Thai friends or family friends but it did take me a while to earn their respect and just as long for them to learn my name

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up the word once, when I lived in Phuket 3 years ago ... I been trying to google it again ..To no avail ..But the information that I got then was that "farang" was derived from some Indian (hindukush maybe) word like "firinghee" - Which means "foreigner" ... So we are FOREIGNERS! ... Makes pretty good sense to me!

Im sorry I can not, like already said, link you up to the page that informed me of this! - Take it or leave it :)~

any polite,educated thai,will never call you farang
you will be khun (what ever)
dont forget where we are: isaan

Back