Filtering the Village Water Supply

Mahdam, I guess you are talking about a household reverse osmosis water purifier and filter something like this:

Household-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-Water-Purifier-Water-Filter-RO-50P-.jpg

I did consider installing one myself to filter the town's water supply. Primarily I wanted it for drinking water. I assumed that they (the filters) do the job for which they are intended although the filters need to be changed at specified intervals to ensure the quality. In the end I decided against it and bought a cold water dispenser that has the 20 litre bottle on top. The main reason for rejecting the idea was the thought of endlessly filling 1 litre bottles to store in the refrigerator to get cold water to drink. In our house that would mean some 4 or 5 litre bottles each day. It would also take up valuable room in the fridge that could be better used for other items. Cost was not a factor that I considered.

Avanti-Hot-Cold-Water-Dispenser-P11998946.jpg

The cold water dispenser is similar to the one in the picture but without the hot water supply for safety reasons (young children in the house). I buy the more expensive FAR THAI Water and have never suffered any stomach upsets with this water supply. This gives a constant supply of cold water 24 hours each day and the bottle only needs changing once every 3/4 days. Subsequently, when I analysed operating costs I found this solution to be very cost effective. Water supply by FAR THAI runs to 5 x 20 litre bottles every 2 weeks. Thats 10 bottles per month, 120 bottles per year and, at 20 Baht/bottle, the total cost is 2,400 Baht/year. The water dispenser was some 3,000 Baht and the electrical operating cost is minimal.

Thanks for that Nomad. I am about to fill bottles from a 20 litre -a chore that has to be done every couple of days. Think its time to invest in a cold water dispenser. I do however like my cold water very cold. Is that possible?

I have been considering installing a small triple filter system with a UV. Just to filter enough of the bore hole
water to use for drinking, cooking ect. Does anyone else use a similar system?
And if so how efficient is it?

I have that system installed in the kitchen. The UV is the best way to purify the water for potable use, but still the calcium remains. Has anyone ever tried pissing out a kidney stone. I hear it's worse than giving birth.

Thanks for that Nomad. I am about to fill bottles from a 20 litre -a chore that has to be done every couple of days. Think its time to invest in a cold water dispenser. I do however like my cold water very cold. Is that possible?

My unit has a knob that controls the water temperature just as you want it. I like cold water but not too cold when its just for drinking. Check the machine before you buy to ensure that there is thermostatic control knob installed somewhere. When I want ice I take it from the automatic ice making machine in the refridgerator. Usually this is reserved for my whisky although I am back on the wagon again after the New Year.

For the one posting above, Surin, yes I have although my kidney stone was from a build up of uric acid not calcium. Only a small one but still painful enough.

I have that system installed in the kitchen. The UV is the best way to purify the water for potable use, but still the calcium remains. Has anyone ever tried pissing out a kidney stone. I hear it's worse than giving birth.
You have this system installed. So I presume you drink the water from it. Is there a further filter that can be added to the
set up to remove the Calcium? Or do we just wait for the stone?

I only use rainwater now for the past 10 years. I have found a softener that can illiminate the calcium and will fit that along with the other 2 filters..carbon and resin. It would be safe to use after the UV for sure.
I got rid of my large RO. System as the membranes lasted only a short time and wasted 75% of the water during the process.
The new softener is only about 20k baht, so coupled with UV it's the way to go.

When we finally move here, I plan to bring a " Hydra smart " in the sea container. I have heard very good reports about them. As far as the " UV " goes, they are widely used as, bacteria is 99.8 wiped out with a correct application. High intensity UV is recommended.

After more than 20 months and the addition of many new houses to the existing water supply, I simply must now undertake this project.

I would appreciate any further information or suggestions and the location of businesses that could do this for me.

Now!!!!...Who's got the darn best pressurized and on demand water supply in Titswin Ging village, AB?

Now!!!!...Who's got the darn best pressurized and on demand water supply in Titswin Ging village, AB?
Thanks for your help, mate. Two Aussie brains working on the job, it had to be successful!

Would you care to share the details of your new system? I looked at something like the one pictured in Nomads post, in Global
yesterday.
Typically the sales lad knew less about the product, than I know about Brain surgery. The one thing that did concern me though
was the small bore of the delivery pipe. I could see it taking an age just to fill a kettle. How many litres per hour could you
expect from such a set up?

Different set up, Mahdam...but about 200 lpm. This is storage of town water supply and feeding to the house. A filter system fitted will easily do 60lpm.

Our village hit the jackpot and received funding to make our new water supply, it's chlorinated too. Every village for miles is envious.

No filters for me.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Very nice, enjoy it while you can. Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone will give it the proper maintenance and in a relatively short time the pump or the filter or both will be broken. They have similar in my wife's village but it seldom supplies water. Always broken. The family now have their own borehole and a pumped water supply.

By the way, do you know or recognise that arrangement of trays sitting on top of some inverted concrete pipes (near the gate and in front of the water tower) ? Is it some kind of gravity fed filter system? Just curious.

Very nice, enjoy it while you can. Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone will give it the proper maintenance and in a relatively short time the pump or the filter or both will be broken. They have similar in my wife's village but it seldom supplies water. Always broken. The family now have their own borehole and a pumped water supply.

By the way, do you know or recognise that arrangement of trays sitting on top of some inverted concrete pipes (near the gate and in front of the water tower) ? Is it some kind of gravity fed filter system? Just curious.

Like you NM, I have seen many a project like this. Great while it lasts then falls into total disrepair in a matter of short time. Those racks are activated charcoal filtration. I have seen the set up before and in total disrepair. The New Zealand government funded projects like the one all over Issan.

As Rice says, it appears to be some sort of filter system, water drips down through and over the trays. I agree that maintenance will be the big issue. half the village is already whinging about the price rise for supply even though they wanted a new and reliable water supply. Fortunately I have my backup bore and pump.

Prices in the village are a big issue. When our village pump and pipes needed major repairs, a meeting had to be called to discuss a rise of 10 baht per household per month. There was plenty of opposition, but the motion was passed. Not so when it was proposed to start a rubbish collection service. Why spend 10 baht when all form of rubbish can be burned on site!

Back