Fireplaces in Thai homes for the chilly weather?

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Bear shared this pic earlier over on Facebook. I think it would be a great idea for those building homes here to add a fireplace for the chilly winter weather we can have here at times. Lovely fireplace, and easily done here with the stones and/or bricks easily had here in Isaan.

Looks nice and comfy and warm doesn't it? :) And adds a nice pleasant homey look to the house as well. Love the Jaccuzi in front of the fireplace as well! Excellent idea!

AtB, take note. :)
530142_370020403066533_1678228239_n_zps78512fc2.jpg

Bear shared this pic earlier over on Facebook. I think it would be a great idea for those building homes here to add a fireplace for the chilly winter weather we can have here at times. Lovely fireplace, and easily done here with the stones and/or bricks easily had here in Isaan.

Looks nice and comfy and warm doesn't it? :) And adds a nice pleasant homey look to the house as well. Love the Jaccuzi in front of the fireplace as well! Excellent idea!

AtB, take note. :)
530142_370020403066533_1678228239_n_zps78512fc2.jpg

They've got some good fireplaces in most temples I believe.

They've got some good fireplaces in most temples I believe.

Really? I've never noticed myself, and I've been in a few wats over the years. Good. Then there must be some Thai fellows experienced in building a decent fireplace. They have people experienced in building crematoriums at least. :) Must know about chimneys, draft, and flues and such.

Mike

Really? I've never noticed myself, and I've been in a few wats over the years. Good. Then there must be some Thai fellows experienced in building a decent fireplace. They have people experienced in building crematoriums at least. :) Must know about chimneys, draft, and flues and such.

Mike

Yep, those are the ones.

Better order now for the cold spell next year - with all the holidays, weeks off for marriages, deaths, lucky home parties etc, they will need the best part of a year to build a fireplace!

Best part of a year or more!

But honestly, this is not such a bad idea either. There has been some cold weather lately, a fireplace could solve it. All Thais in my area cut firewood to burn to stay warm, they just do it differently than we do in my part of the world. Share and improve??? Who'da thought?

Film at 11:00, stay tuned....

mario299

Last edited:
Last night at M&D.

Attachments

• 20140123_190133.jpg
    20140123_190133.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20140123_190300.jpg
    20140123_190300.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
More and more Thais are showing interest in Christmas (especially if they can get something or sell something) so chimneys would be very useful on Christmas Eve!

I would go with a wood stove. Much more efficient and all you have to do is put a flue pipe through the wall. Plus you can cook on it.

Eivind from Oasis swears the best way to heat your bedroom is by heating up a big rock until it is red hot with a gas burner (windows open a little of course while you are doing this to let in oxygen - Eivind stressed the necessity of this part) and says that it keeps his bedroom warm all through the night. "I can just lay there in my jocks" he says.
Crazy Norwegians.

Eivind from Oasis swears the best way to heat your bedroom is by heating up a big rock until it is red hot with a gas burner (windows open a little of course while you are doing this to let in oxygen - Eivind stressed the necessity of this part) and says that it keeps his bedroom warm all through the night. "I can just lay there in my jocks" he says.
Crazy Norwegians.

I get my rocks hot but not with a gas burner.:biggrin:

Some of you Ladies need to man the hell up!!!!

Stick a cardigan on if you are that cold for Christs sake... :wink::wink:

For people who have no idea what a cardigan is:

A cardigan is a type of knitted garment that has an open front. Often, cardigans can be buttoned, but never tied as that would be a robe. By contrast, a pullover does not open in front but must be "pulled over" the head to be worn. It may be machine- or hand-knitted. The cardigan was named after James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, a British Army Major General who led the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War. It is modelled after the knitted wool waistcoat that British officers supposedly wore during the war. The legend of the event and the fame that Brudenell achieved after the war led to the rise of the garment's popularity.

Back