Getting A Tourist Visa In Savannakhet Laos

S

SANGKA

Reports , Posted on another forum.

Report 1.

Posted 2012-01-22 08:22:17

I just did a visa trip to Savannakhet Laos and decided to do it solo and using taxi / plane / Van and Tuk Tuk. I travelled to Savannakhet to get a double entry tourist visa. Went from Bkk to Ubon, by VIP van from Ubon to Mukdahan. Crossed the bridge into Laos and then by tuk tuk to a hotel that is 2 blocks from the Thai Embassy.

Getting to Laos was uneventful as flight and the reserved VIP van were both on time. Flew Nok air from Bkk to Ubon on the 6am flight. The VIP van from Ubon to Mukdahan was a large 10 seater grey people mover. The van was actually a service provided in conjunction with the Ploy Palace hotel in Mukdahan. The driver was perfect, never took any unnecessary chances/risks while over taking and the van travel time was 2.15 hours. This VIP van can be reserved by calling 042 631 111. The van leaves Ubon airport at 7.30am daily and you would need to book the 6am flight from Bangkok to catch the VIP van.

The hotel (Hoong Thip) I stayed at was less than spectacular. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. There was no WIFI in the room but was available if you wanted to sit in the hotel lobby to surf the net for free you could. Breakfast was included but the choice was limited, not a buffet. Both mornings I had a sandwich with a coffee. For hotels, I am sure better can be found and I would not stay here again.

The Thai consulate opened at 9am and I arrived minutes after it opened. I was number 19 in the queue. The line up moved with speed and only one person ahead of me was asked any questions. All that was need was the visa form, 2 photos, copy of information page from passport, passport and 2000 thb. The person accepting the applications scanned thru my passport very quickly and then just asked for the 2000 Thb. I have 16 visa stickers already in my passport, 3 are Thai tourist visa’s, some are from Laod and some from Cambodia. No issues handing in the applications. Was out of the consultate grounds by 9.20am

Was advised the visa/passport could be collected the next day at 2pm. This was true, as the gates opened at 2pm. They handed back the in the same order they collected them. Had my passport back in my hands at 2.10pm and was on my way with a double entry tourist visa.
Best place I fond for food was at the little restaurant the is attached to the Mekong Guest House that is located on the street that runs along the Mekong. It is about ½ mile from the Thai Consulate. The food is good, the prices are great and they serve Thai / Laos and Western food. Was stuffed for just 200 THB
The return trip home was smooth and had no issue, did the same trip as the outbound leg, but in reverse order. Only difference was the flight was with Air Asia leaving Ubon at 10:15 – This too was on time.

Of note – Thai Consulate only accepts visa applications from 9am to 11am Monday to Friday. This means you cannot leave Bangkok on a Monday morning at 6am and make it to Savannakher using my travel plan and be able to hand in your passport on the same day. It does call for a two night stay in Savannakhet.

Of note #2 – I use a Thai cell phone with a Thai cell number ( AIS ) and it did work everywhere I went in Savannakhet and the rates were the same as I am charged when I use the cell in Thailand.

Sunday January 16th
6am flight from Bkk to Ubon on Nok air– 1600 Thb
VIP Van from Ubon to Mukdahan – 350 Thb
Tuk tuk from Mukdahan to Friendship bridge – 100 Thb
Bus across the bridge – 50 Thb
Laos Entry Visa – 1500 Thb
Tuk tuk to Hotel in Savannekhet – 100 Thb
2 nights at Hoong Thip Hotel – 2 x 800 Thb
Double entry tourist visa – 2000 Thb
Tuk tuk back to Savannakhet Friendship bridge – 100 Thb
Bus across the bridge – 50 THB
Tuk tuk to Ploy Palace hotel in Mukdahan – 100 Thb
VIP van from Mukdahan to Ubon airport – 350
Flight on Air Asia from Ubon to Bkk on Air Asia – 1799 Thb
Arrived back in Bangkok on Tuesday night January 17th at 21:20

Report 2.

I have noticed that many people are worried about where to get their next tourist visa. So hopefully the following information will help those people.

I just came back from Savannakhet with a friend and he applied for a double tourist visa at the Thai consulate there. His passport is filled with many previous tourist visas. He applied for a double tourist visa and no flight tickets or anything else was required. Turn around was 1 day.

So it seems that Savannakhet is the new place to go for those of you staying in Thailand on tourist visas.

Report 3.

Posted 2012-03-21 18:04:36
Went to Savannakhet on monday, left Khon Kaen at 4am bus from the Non Air bus station 185baht pay on the bus, arrive Mukdahan 835am, you can get a tuktuk, but better to just get the bus to Savannakhet as this is the bus you will be getting on at the border anyway as i discovered, a few who was on my bus from khon kaen did this, but i got a tuktuk 100 baht, paid 45 for the bus at the border, only to discover they was already on the bus i bordered.
Got to Thai Consulate aroung 9 55am,only around 15 people there, got form one copy of passport, 2 Photos,paid 2000 baht, recived ticket to collect next day after 2pm, so now have 2x 60 day Tourist visa's.
No one was getting knocked back, i have 5 previous tourist visa's in my Passport, he just flicked through the pages.
Very easy place to receive the visa but the city is very small compared to Vientiane but is a very quaint city.nifty.

Tuktuk consulate - border, max 10min

http://maps.google.c...ef0f3c0bfcaff92

The immigration is right before the friendship bridge, about 8 km out of town.Foreigners can't get there by boat any more, as it's only available for Thais nowadays

.The shuttle bus leaves from Mukdahan bus terminal, stops at the border and brings you into Laos .SN bus station after buying a Laos visa and dealing with Thai immigration.Don't forget to try a Laos beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back