Grimaces replace smiles for retirees in Thailand

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title

A revealing and eye opening interview with Immigration Bureau deputy commander Pol Maj Gen Achayon Kraithong.

Examples of the depth of the expose of the reasoning behind the myriad of rules and regulations imposed on retired expats

" Why are foreigners with a one-year visa or more required to report to immigration officials every 90 days?"
Reply " They are required to do so under Section 37 (5) of the Immigration Act."

"Is there any reason why the law does not say that foreign men who are married to Thai women can seek Thai citizenship, when it says that foreign women can seek Thai nationality if their spouse is Thai?"
Reply "In both cases, foreign nationals can apply for Thai citizenship after their marriage to Thais under the Thai Nationality Act.
However, the process is more complicated for men married to Thai women."

Kudos to the Bangkok Post for getting to the bottom of the mindset of immigration policies in this hard hitting investigate journalism. And to Pol Maj Gen Achayon Kraithong, for his candid insights when honestly it appears he could of answered " because " and the Bangkok Post would have gladly accepted the answer as definitive.

Wish they had asked 'why Foriegn women who marry a Thai, do not have to gave the same (or any) money in the bank like man have to?'

If you read the full article you may want to think about why you are paying into the Thai social security system.

(Additionally to all on marriage visas/ extensions...please fully understand what happens if your darling predeceases you.)

If you read the full article you may want to think about why you are paying into the Thai social security system.

(Additionally to all on marriage visas/ extensions...please fully understand what happens if your darling predeceases you.)
Correct and that's exactly why its so important to get your Thai wife to make a will leaving the husband, the house that he paid for.

I have to face the Medusa on counter 6 at Chonburi immi on Thursday. FFS, my vascectomy was erotic compared to this.
I know why they have the perspex divider in place, not for Covid, it's to stop her getting her dial caved in for being a c**t.

I have to face the Medusa on counter 6 at Chonburi immi on Thursday. FFS, my vascectomy was erotic compared to this.
I know why they have the perspex divider in place, not for Covid, it's to stop her getting her dial caved in for being a c**t.
You should do what my mate John does and pay an agent, he's not been to Immigration in years and to all those that say something could go wrong blah, blah, this practice has been going on for decades.

You should do what my mate John does and pay an agent, he's not been to Immigration in years and to all those that say something could go wrong blah, blah, this practice has been going on for decades.
I've heard that as well. It wouldn't be a mission if they had the right person doing the applications. When I was on a retirement visa, piece of piss.
I'll get this out of the road this year and go through an agent next time--there are other options ( wink wink ).

......this practice has been going on for decades.

Albeit illegal.

In all my years here (except for the first when I paid George to obtain a 12 month multi entry for me. Maybe the "forgeries" were not as good then but Bangkok Immigration picked it up straight away) I've complied generally with the letters of the law (which change most years) but have not been insurmountable problems. Yes, it's irritating and more often than not nitpicking that appears to be purely a vindictive attitude by the officers in Immigration. However, I'm not prepared to bribe government officials to make it go away (whether I can afford it or not).

Correct. You then have 12 months to sell and vacate.
If the house however, was built on land willed to the now deceased wife you're bugggered!
I am not aware of this provision Robert, could you please explain the difference here. In regard to land that was willed.

I am not aware of this provision Robert, could you please explain the difference here. In regard to land that was willed.

Thailand will not allow a Farang to register land. Land that is bequeathed to a Farang MUST be transferred to a Thai within 12 months.

It is in the Civil and Commercial Code I believe...I will try and dig out the specific reference if I get chance.

Back