HakuZou Japanese Restaurant - Surin

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
HakuZou Japanese Restaurant - Surin

Address: 260 Thetsaban 1 Rd,
Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Surin, Chang Wat Surin 32000
Phone: 044 713 554

A favorite restaurant of mine in Surin City is the Hakuzou Japanese Restaurant. Wonderful food, great attentive staff, loads of good wine, desserts, beers, hot and cold Sake, and the owners are the nicest and most friendly people around. You can't go wrong here if you like Japanese food. It's one of my 'special times' go to places here in Surin. Good seating, large venue, private rooms with both western style seating and Japanese style. Very reasonable prices. Just a fantastic dining experience.

For more info follow the link provided:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haku-Zou-Japanese-Restaurant/214109025452223

30261883_10215708966379251_5818902210372698112_n.jpg

30414733_10215708950018842_3838760602872840192_n.jpg

30412092_10215708951658883_7949039971522838528_n.jpg

30261436_10215708955458978_4066005321049440256_n.jpg

30124709_10215708962139145_3156182070657548288_n.jpg

30411522_10215708979739585_6043821770694197248_n.jpg

30221777_10215708976699509_856762721905934336_n.jpg

Colin, If they were open earlier in the day for breakfast I'd likely go there a couple times a week for something different, light and tasty. If you peruse their menu there is a lot of inexpensive fare to eat. They really are not that expensive if dining alone (without the little piggies who seem to always order half the damn menu) and not drinking beers, wines and other alcoholic beverages. I believe the hot tea is free. :)

I've noticed this in quite a few other places around town as well. If not drinking alcohol the bill is usually quite reasonable for foods and non-alcoholic beverages. And it's the wines and import beers that are the worst for expenses. Even at Hotpot, a fav place to eat for my wife and I and family, if my wife and I don't drink the Heinekens, the meal itself is fairly inexpensive, even if the little piggies DO order half the damn menu, and they also serve you a free tea beverage.

I sometimes stop by Hakuzou for a couple of some of my gals fav dishes for take away for them. A surprise treat so to speak. And I have on occasion stopped in alone and had a bite and some tea while reading my Kindle. A very relaxing and quiet atmosphere in there, and cool. Quite reasonable without the booze. I've done the same at Green Terrace, Mind Kitchen/Sugar Bear, The Bowl, etc. Afternoon hours before the dinner rush. And at this time of year the places having air con are at the top of my list of places to gain my custom.

Last edited:
I checked the Facebook link that you supplied Cent and the map in their Facebook page shows it as being in Buriram.
Is there also a restaurant there?
Can somebody provide some directions please.

I checked the Facebook link that you supplied Cent and the map in their Facebook page shows it as being in Buriram.
Is there also a restaurant there?
Can somebody provide some directions please.

Wombat, It is directly across the street from the Ramphet 2 hospital in the parking lot where Sydney Seasons was. Or, across the street on the other side from Tawandang music hall, although I don't think you can gain access to the parking lot from that side any more.

(I'm not sure if there is one in Buriram or not.)

Last edited:
I should have known that as my car spends a bit of time in that parking lot.

You are so right Cent, eating alone is nice, quiet and affordble. Its those damned little piggies that send the costs rocketing. I guess its our own fault for making them in the first place. LOL

Just from experience...
When they're paying they'll eat B30 - B50 dishes with rice off the street vendors and feel as content as a feline... :smileycat:...
understanding that most working Isaan villagers earn less than B500 a day on average.

When you're paying for those with extremely limited financial resources (ie: less than B100 in their pocket) their imagination and appetite can sometimes become boundless. ;;big smile;;;;exciting;;;;grimace;;
Hopefully they say 'Thank you Daddy.' :D

Possibly the same the world over. ;)

Last edited:
They really are not that expensive if dining alone (without the little piggies who seem to always order half the damn menu) and not drinking beers, wines and other alcoholic beverages. I believe the hot tea is free. :)

I've noticed this in quite a few other places around town as well. If not drinking alcohol the bill is usually quite reasonable for foods and non-alcoholic beverages. And it's the wines and import beers that are the worst for expenses. Even at Hotpot, a fav place to eat for my wife and I and family, if my wife and I don't drink the Heinekens, the meal itself is fairly inexpensive...

Damn straight regarding ordering booze at restaurants...but that is generally true globally.
The motto two can eat for the price of one is usually true if and when cooking at home.

When you're towing around four , five or six piggies than the bill of fare can become onerous on a weekly basis.

@Cent , for the purpose of clarification what is your definition of inexpensive per person when dining out ?

The Thais love variety. Even when they are paying they seem to like to order a HUGE variety of dishes.

Actually my kids in the states offer to pay for meals we are enjoying. And I have had Thais pay for my meal on numerous occasions over the years.

I used to give my wife the money for a family gathering meal so she could slip it to her Papa and have the bill presented to him, as he was the elder and the Thais have some sort of 'face' thing about the eldest male paying the bin. Made him feel good, gave him 'public' face, and no skin off my ass. He was a nice old coot that passed a few years ago.

Damn straight regarding ordering booze at restaurants...but that is generally true globally.
The motto two can eat for the price of one is usually true if and when cooking at home.

When you're towing around four , five or six piggies than the bill of fare can become onerous on a weekly basis.

@Cent , for the purpose of clarification what is your definition of inexpensive per person when dining out ?

Totally depends on the place. At Hakuzou I'd say, for food and not liquors, 250 to 300 baht per person is about right. Unless you/they are ordering mainly seafood dishes, which are more money per dish (prawns, lobster, ocean fish) - Surin being so far from the ocean and lobster having to be imported from Canada/US. But have a couple bottles of wine, or 2 or 3 big Heinekens or Asahi at around 100 baht a pop, or a couple of the big jugs of hot or cold Sake, and the bin will be a lot more, and justifiably so. Which is inexpensive for just the foods, reasonably so, in a place which has foods no where else has. There are a few newer smaller Japn. food places that have popped up in Surin the past couple of years. Haven't tried them, mainly due to the fact Hakuzou is the place I like and trust. Also because I heard a couple of these smaller joints were opened by ex-staff of Hakuzou's once they learned how to make the food. I'll take the original over the others. Turnover is a big plus as well with a larger customer base. Sell the perishables quickly due to having a larger customer base and there will be less problems, less likelihood of the owners trying to get rid of questionable/borderline product, etc.

For straight Thai places (meaning no western foods available) if just buying food and non alcoholic beverages it is much less expensive of course. 100 baht to 150 per person is about average I'd say unless at one of the 'hi-so' places, or an air conned venue keeping the place cool all day and night.

By the way, 30 Club has decent Thai foods and appetizers, and local brews that are not very expensive. Open air place, but still a bit more than other places (the imported beers are like 170/180 baht a pop). But they have a lot of staff, live music quite often, and seem to be the 'in' place for the middle class 20/30 somethings to hang in. And sell a lot of Chang and Leo.

Last edited:
Wombat, It is directly across the street from the Ramphet 2 hospital in the parking lot where Sydney Seasons was. Or, across the street on the other side from Tawandang music hall, although I don't think you can gain access to the parking lot from that side any more.

(I'm not sure if there is one in Buriram or not.)
Is there 2 Japanese restaraunts in Surin ?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I think that there are four. Two of them are described in this thread, but there's another one near the traffic lights at the top end of the klong, and another one (if it is still there) on the right, half way up the soi on the left leading from the traffic lights immediately after the Surin Hospital if you're coming from town. I've been to both of those, once, which was enough.

I am not familiar with Japanese food, and on the odd occasions I have been to a Japanese restaurant, I have not known what to order.

Some Indian restaurants have a set meal for beginners, comprising a suitable sample of the man dishes . Do the local Japanese restaurants do the same?

I do like to sample foreign offerings, but need to know where to begin :)

With Sushi and Sashimi dishes, the portions are relatively small, so ordering an assortment from the photos has worked for me. It's not quite as simple with the hot dishes where individual tastes determine likes and dislikes, but if there is a group attending, then ordering a mixture of dishes generally provides a great taste experiment! I don't know of a restaurant that provides a set meal as you describe Nick (though it would be a welcome addition to most Thai places here too.)

The information on this website might help a bit: https://triplelights.com/blog/the-13-most-popular-foods-1549

Is there 2 Japanese restaraunts in Surin ?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

More like 4 or 5 I know of. There was one right near our restaurant on the road that runs by the Surin Hospital. Another on the klong road on the other side of us, Hakuzou, and the old Hakuzou now under other ownership the past few years, across from Cafe Italia near the Tawandaeng. I think there may be a couple other small ones as well around other parts of town.

I am not familiar with Japanese food, and on the odd occasions I have been to a Japanese restaurant, I have not known what to order.

Some Indian restaurants have a set meal for beginners, comprising a suitable sample of the man dishes . Do the local Japanese restaurants do the same?

They usually have mixed sets to order, and mixed luncheon specials. Try Hakuzou's Teriyaki beef. Very nice.

30656370_2114106751951131_1397485910332801024_n.jpg

If you want to try Hakuzou, next time you and Dow are in Surin for lunch or dinner let us know (with a couple of days notice)

Back