Handy man 2

whoppr78

I'm looking for man to do repairs at my house. Everything from sealing concrete to leaking roofs. I could use advice at least I could probably get the labor.

Good luck in your quest Whoppr78. I think you will have better luck finding rocking horse shit than finding a good handyman in these parts. I have repeatedly tried to find a good and reliable person to do some work for me for the past 4 years but without success - and I live here all the time. Most of the time they cannot be bothered to even look at the problem, let alone come and do some actual work. If you need a blocked drain clearing out there is a very good father and son outfit from Buriram listed in the Yellow Pages. Did a very good job on my blocked drain - 1,000 baht per call out. If they cannot fix - no charge.

Try http://www.yellowpages.co.th/en/category/Housing and Residence

Best found using Thai language.

P.S. I will be 69 years old in a couple of months time. Had I been a younger man I would have offered to help you.

Last edited:
Plenty of locals around who declare that can do anything, fix this and that. However when they turn up, they generally cause more problems than they fix. Futhermore they never have any tools/ladders etc, and when they use yours, they leave them in a sorry state -often broken -afterwards.

Good generalization of what you can expect when you pay your labour $10 (£8) per diem, eh. :rolleyes:

When we were living at our last address about 5 years ago, a gang of workmen turned up to start work on our next door neighbours house. They were building an extension to the rear of the adjoining property. Unfortunately, my 'workshop' was along the rear of our house and my ladder and some tools clearly visible to the gang. Not one ladder between them and no decent tools either. I managed to lock up all my tools but the ladder was more difficult to hide and it was not long before there was a shout along the lines of, "gimme a ladder please" in perfect Thai of course. Four weeks later the mangled remains were returned, covered in cement and all sorts of sh#t. Never again. First sight of workmen anywhere near the house and the front gate is locked and bolted.

When my "new" gardener was cutting the grass in my back garden earlier in the week he found this Neanderthal hammer. Wouldn't happen to be one of yours Nomad, would it?

neanderthal hammer.jpg

I am sat outside with a coffee watching a guy using a strimmer, the strimmer is a nice new one with steel cutting blade, so heavy duty. His technique leaves a lot to be desired, he partially revs the engine to get the blade spinning then cuts as much grass (long grass) as he can before the blade stops spinning, he has developed his technique so that he pulls away from the cut intime to 'blip' the throttle ans spin the blade again before next cut, sometimes he is too slow and has to untangle the grass from the blade.
I want to go and give him a demo on how to use it properly but experience has taught me that watching the Thais do things wrong and saying nothing is much less hassle than trying to correct them, wife included...

Yea Rob, amazing to watch.
I have an 85cc Honda brush cutter fitted with a heavy duty self feeding nylon chord head.
The chord cuts grass about 10 x quicker with little effort.
My two brothers in law were amazed but as scared as shit to try it, fukin hill billies.

After pulling my hair out watching an incompetent job, I intervened. The guy went on to do it it his method. But five minutes latter I noted he was doing it as I said.
Must of really pissed him of my method was better and he had to concede. At least he was not pig ignorant to continue anyway to his credit.

We had new wallpaper hung in the lounge a few years ago. The "scraper guy" arrived and was wetting the old paper and then virtually immediately trying to remove it. The next day 2 hours before he arrived I wetted the next area for removal. He was very impressed how much easier that section of old paper came off but even though my wife explained what I'd done, he carried on as per the previous day.

I gave up.

I am sat outside with a coffee watching a guy using a strimmer, the strimmer is a nice new one with steel cutting blade, so heavy duty. His technique leaves a lot to be desired, he partially revs the engine to get the blade spinning then cuts as much grass (long grass) as he can before the blade stops spinning, he has developed his technique so that he pulls away from the cut intime to 'blip' the throttle ans spin the blade again before next cut, sometimes he is too slow and has to untangle the grass from the blade.
I want to go and give him a demo on how to use it properly but experience has taught me that watching the Thais do things wrong and saying nothing is much less hassle than trying to correct them, wife included...

Exactly the same "pulse" method my Brother in law uses when using an electric drill. whether it be steel, or masonry he is drilling, he will
pull the trigger on the drill and then immediately let it go, then just repeat this process until the hole is drilled.
As we often work together he has seen the way I do it, but never adopts my method. It frustrates me big time, but I keep my mouth shut.

Exactly the same "pulse" method my Brother in law uses when using an electric drill. whether it be steel, or masonry he is drilling, he will
pull the trigger on the drill and then immediately let it go, then just repeat this process until the hole is drilled.
As we often work together he has seen the way I do it, but never adopts my method. It frustrates me big time, but I keep my mouth shut.
I guess they think it saves on electricity! HaHa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same "pulse" method my Brother in law uses when using an electric drill. whether it be steel, or masonry he is drilling, he will pull the trigger on the drill and then immediately let it go, then just repeat this process until the hole is drilled.

I trust that it's not your drill that he is/was using?

Back