Here's a Doozy.

W

Wombat

As most of you may have heard, I'm planning on returning, with the wife and 3 kids, to Thailand. Here's the problem.

While trying to book our flights for around 23 April I discovered that my 2 eldest kids (16 and 12) who are dual Australian/Thai citizens, Thai passports have expired about a year ago. They both have current Oz passports and they both have Thai ID cards.

My question is, can they travel to Thailand and enter Thailand on the Visa exempt scheme using their Oz passports and then just stay in Thailand? I am aware that the airlines may not allow them to board without an onward bound ticket but an explanation about their Thai citizenship should alleviate that problem. Also, a lot of young people enter Thailand by air and depart overland so I tend to think the airline would not be enforcing that policy if in fact there was such a policy.

I am also aware that there Aussie passports will be next to useless for them again if they leave Thailand but they are only valid for a couple more years before they expire.

As most of you may have heard, I'm planning on returning, with the wife and 3 kids, to Thailand. Here's the problem.

While trying to book our flights for around 23 April I discovered that my 2 eldest kids (16 and 12) who are dual Australian/Thai citizens, Thai passports have expired about a year ago. They both have current Oz passports and they both have Thai ID cards.

My question is, can they travel to Thailand and enter Thailand on the Visa exempt scheme using their Oz passports and then just stay in Thailand? I am aware that the airlines may not allow them to board without an onward bound ticket but an explanation about their Thai citizenship should alleviate that problem. Also, a lot of young people enter Thailand by air and depart overland so I tend to think the airline would not be enforcing that policy if in fact there was such a policy.

I am also aware that there Aussie passports will be next to useless for them again if they leave Thailand but they are only valid for a couple more years before they expire.
From our experiance mate, the kids travel into Thailand on valid Aussie passports, no probs, they have 30 days, none of airport immi business.
You will have to blow a small ammount on their return ticket.
Get their Thai passports renewed ASAP, advise IMMI and all will be sweet.
As far as the Aussie passports, contact the embassy in BKK, very helpful.
Been there, done this.

This is correct.

7by7

• Star Member
  • 7by7
  • Advanced Members
  • 24291 posts
  • Popular Post
Posted April 10, 2021
My wife and daughter are both dual Thai/British citizens. They have each on separate occasions left the UK using their British passport and entered Thailand using their expired Thai passport without any problems.

My wife's was only a couple of months out of date; but my daughters had expired over a year previously.

Citizens of most countries have an absolute right to enter the country of which they are a citizen. A passport usually confirms citizenship, and that citizenship does not expire just because the passport has.

Of course, a valid passport is usually required to leave again, so my wife and daughter both renewed their Thai passports whilst there. Cheaper, quicker and easier than doing so in the UK.
Like×
"They can have the nice guy if they're the nice guy, and they can have the other kind if they want that, you know? All you gotta' do is be an <deleted> for 10 minutes. But, you know.....it's nicer to be nice, isn't it?" - LEMMY

I think their Thai id-card will suffice, Thai immigration will not refuse entry for a Thai born citizen. When I fly back to Belgium I never show my passport to Belgian immigration, just my Belgian id-card.

Back