HMPO, Liverpool

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Some of you may know that I am having difficulty obtaining a replacement British passport for the one that was issued incorrectly some time ago.

Overnight I received this email:

"Should you wish to raise a complaint in respect of your passport application, or about the delivery of your passport / documents, please contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office in writing at the below address
Email: Feedback@hmpo.gov.uk"

This morning I sent this email to the address quoted:

"Dear Sirs,

I have been advised by <help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk> to write to you to request assistance in the issue and collection of a replacement passport for the one issued with an error by HMPO.

In early March this year I notified HMPO London that they had issued my passport (seventh) with my middle name spelt incorrectly. I was redirected to HMPO Liverpool and so began a multitude of email exchanges in my attempt to have a replacement passport correctly issued (I can provide copies of said emails should you require them).

A solution was eventually offered on 22nd July 2022 by Mr. N. Roberts of Customer Service Management Team, Liverpool and I duly complied with his instructions. He confirmed that I should keep the receipts of the cost of submitting the application in order to be reimbursed should the mistake be found to be the fault of HMPO.

HMPO have since admitted it was their fault that my passport was issued with an error and stated that they would forward the replacement passport to VAC (VFS) Bangkok and I would be able to collect it from there. Given that I live 450 km from Bangkok, I requested that either HMPO Liverpool courier it direct to my home or request VAC Bangkok to forward it to me by courier. I was advised that this could not be done.

I therefore asked for their assurance that all costs incurred in collecting the replacement passport from Bangkok (at least Bht 5,000.00) would be reimbursed. Despite a number of email requests, this still has not been given and I request that your department give this assurance together with your confirmation that all costs incurred in transferring Immigration information from the old incorrect passport to the replacement passport will be met.

In addition to the above, I am continuously being asked for my “application number” which I do not have. My application (un-numbered) was submitted as requested by Mr. Roberts direct to HMPO Liverpool by recorded delivery and the confirmed arrival date was advised as 5th September 2022. I have been told that your department can advise my application number in order that it may be quoted in future correspondence.

Regards" (name and address suppled).

By return I received this:

"This mailbox is no longer in use, and your email has not been forwarded."

WTF! Over. And so this sorry saga continues.

P.S. Only 5,000 baht to collect the passport from Bangkok? I would guess 10,000 baht would be closer to the cost. A taxi to and from Buriram airport will set you back 1,000 baht each way. I know the cost as my wife needed a taxi when I broke down going to collect her a couple of weeks ago. A taxi to and from Don Mueang airport to the city, 500 baht each way, and 1,000 baht return. Two airline tickets on Air Asia or Nok Air - 2,360 baht each way, 4,720 baht return. Overnight accommodation - with meals - 2,500 baht. Total costs to collect passport = 10,200 baht.

1667728245728.png

P.S. Only 5,000 baht to collect the passport from Bangkok? I would guess 10,000 baht would be closer to the cost. A taxi to and from Buriram airport will set you back 1,000 baht each way. I know the cost as my wife needed a taxi when I broke down going to collect her a couple of weeks ago. A taxi to and from Don Mueang airport to the city, 500 baht each way, and 1,000 baht return. Two airline tickets on Air Asia or Nok Air - 2,360 baht each way, 4,720 baht return. Overnight accommodation - with meals - 2,500 baht. Total costs to collect passport = 10,200 baht.

View attachment 55927

I have a friend in Bangkok who will pick up the passport for the cost of a taxi both ways but I'm not telling them that. Unlike them, I'm trying to be reasonable.

My first offer to collect the passport in person was around ฿8,000.00 (train fares, hotel and meals and Bangkok taxis) plus my time which I value at US$50.00/hour.

[Edit: My friend in Bangkok also tells me that contrary to the statement from HMPO Liverpool, VAC (VFS) use couriers all the time to return passports (usually Thai passports with (or without) U.K. visas]

Last edited:

View attachment 55927
How very naive of you to think that they care about your costs...

View attachment 55927

Get the bloody bus........ job done for 1,000 baht there and back same day.

HMPO Help line: "Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we do not have a direct or alternative email address for the 'Missing Applications' Team. You will need to call our advice line on 0300 222 0000 for further assistance in obtaining the application reference number."

Me: "Reference your email above. I am not prepared to spend my money making international telephone calls (of no known duration) to discover an application reference number which is your responsibility to provide to me. Please ask your "advice line" to call me with the reference number on +66 XXXX XXXXX between 00:00 and 10:00 GMT any day of the week."

HMPO Help line: "Thank you for your reply. I can see that we are currently still processing this, we will contact you if anything further is required."

Bunch of tossers! - [That wasn't my reply - not yet anyway]

Last edited:
I would be inclined to package together copies of all the correspondence, and forward it to the UK government minister responsible for HMPO. A copy to a couple of the UK rag newspapers wouldn;t go amiss either.

I would be inclined to package together copies of all the correspondence, and forward it to the UK government minister responsible for HMPO. A copy to a couple of the UK rag newspapers wouldn;t go amiss either.

I have been collecting the emails into one file and up until 22nd July 2022 it amounts to 16 x A4 pages. I'm of the opinion that subsequent email additions will at least double that.

This has been going on since early March this year.

Last edited:
....and that will achieve Jack.... :) .....but Yorky has time on his hands.

Much more time. And from the responses I've had from the various HMPO morons, more intelligence.

I ceased compiling the emails on 22nd July 2022 because it was apparent that at that time all the problems had been resolved. How wrong could one be?

It's become a hobby now.

Of the five emails that I have sent to the HMPO "Help Line" during the last 2 months and despite their assurance that HMPO will respond in 3 working days/10 working days/as soon as possible, I have not yet received a constructive response to any of my questions.

Of the five emails that I have sent to the HMPO "Help Line" during the last 2 months and despite their assurance that HMPO will respond in 3 working days/10 working days/as soon as possible, I have not yet received a constructive response to any of my questions.

Perhaps it has become a hobby for them as well..................

Perhaps it has become a hobby for them as well..................

I couldn't give a shit anymore.

Other than to be as disruptive as possible until my replacement passport is received and I have been reimbursed my costs.

I could be dead first.

Yes. They are too stupid to notice.

The hospital and COVID vaccination centre picked it up.

As did Kasikorn Bank.

DLT didn't notice.

I wonder what would happen if Immigration were less stupid and did notice.

Any issues with Kasikorn bank - and were your vaccine certificates issued correctly?

Back