Huge "Khmer-Buddhist" holiday 24 Sept

Coffee

You chose a custom title
Although considered a Buddhist holiday throughout Thailand tomorrow is an especially important day for the Khmer-Thai population.
I don't exactly know why but there's going to be a big feed for the monks.

Ask your wives to explain what's up and possibly you can further educate on this thread. Anyhow...is your lady or partner going to the wat mañana ?
20180917_173112.jpg

My wife gave me a very blank stare, as if to say are you stupid? When questioned further I think I was told to go and wash my mouth out with soap and water. As far as she is concerned tomorrow is not a special monk day. Perhaps she is not part of the Khmer-Thai population. Can find no reference here either:

upload_2018-9-23_18-29-14.png

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/thailand/

My wife gave me a very blank stare, as if to say are you stupid? When questioned further I think I was told to go and wash my mouth out with soap and water. As far as she is concerned tomorrow is not a special monk day. Perhaps she is not part of the Khmer-Thai population. Can find no reference here either:

View attachment 24125

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/thailand/

Your correct. My boss said its a a very small holiday and not a BFD.:rolleyes: BTW SWMBO has Khmer in her vanes.:eek:

My wife is descended from Khmer, and speaks it too. However like Nomad's wife, she knows nothing about tomorrow's holiday

p035v6vf.jpg

Our village is heavy Khmer and we have a bunch of ladies here tonight doing cooking/Merit for the Monk's holiday tomorrow. I don't know the exact name of the holiday but our village and several neighboring villages have been preparing for a few days, cleaning the sides of the roads and straightening things up. There is a little Lao khao and Blend 285 whiskey going around, so all is good.
IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0620.JPG

So far five members posted about tomorrow.
Three write No. Two write Yes.

Of course not a reflection of Buddhist belief.

Possibly 4 October will be another biggie for merit making in Surin.

Okay, I'm more educated this morning. The cooking done last night by my lovely wife and the other ladies was to provide some of the food for the 700 monks that will be visiting our village this morning. That is also the reason for cleaning up the roadsides and sprucing up the looks of the village...gotta be looking good for the Orange Brigade!

This monstrous feeding will take place at one of our wats, Wat Uthum Phon:
IMG_2573.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2573.PNG
    IMG_2573.PNG
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
As for FESTIVALS which are NOT celebrate Thailand nation wide

Cambodia is currently celebrating one of its two major annual festivals - Pchum Ben, known as the 'Festival of the Dead'. A 15-day festival, culminating on the 15th day of the 10th month of the Khmer lunar calendar, Pchum Ben is a time when Cambodians pay respects to their deceased relatives of up to 7 generations.Oct 13, 2015

As I was told this is the minor one. SHMBO and her family will celebrate on October 13 and I will attend as I always do. This festival is to remember all there departed family members.

Cambodia is currently celebrating one of its two major annual festivals - Pchum Ben, known as the 'Festival of the Dead'. A 15-day festival, culminating on the 15th day of the 10th month of the Khmer lunar calendar, Pchum Ben is a time when Cambodians pay respects to their deceased relatives of up to 7 generations.

Ahh GL...I believe that would be a better explanation of what was happening this morning in Surin.

(And as per Khmer lore do the dead relatives come to eat with their families as the festival concludes in two weeks ?)

Just returned after a tour of SWMBO section of the village. Her Wat had a very good turn out and our soi was like Big C parking lot on a Saturday. As I said before she and her family could care less about today BUT on the 15 October it will be a big family get-together for remembrance Khmer style,

Ahh GL...I believe that would be a better explanation of what was happening this morning in Surin.

(And as per Khmer lore do the dead relatives come to eat with their families as the festival concludes in two weeks ?)

Yes they do and just for info they even include my relations.:D

I went into our local big Tesco supermarket at 8am this morning when they opened . I was surprised to see some 20 staff members congregated around the spirit houses in the car park. When I left some 10 minutes later there was still a large crowd of staff all holding their incense sticks waiting to do whatever it is they do.

I have to admit to being rather surprised at what I saw. These were all young people (early 20s). From what I have seen around Thailand, I thought that the young people were turning away from religion and all associated things, leaving it to the elders. Yet here they all were this morning wanting to get in on the act.

Do they participate because everyone else does; because they think it is expected of them, or because they really believe it is good for them?

Back