land for building a house

laco

Hallo guys. The help from experienced expats needed! I am new in Surin and I have a chance to buy 5rai of the land about 6 km from the city (direction Prasat) and cca 250m from main road. The land is now a rice paddy. In the future I would like to build a house there. What kind of deed should I ask from the owner and what shoul I consider before buying it? The owner ask for 300thousand baht/rai. Thank you guys!

lots of things to consider are you with a Thai partner and how long have you been together? Is the land going to be leased to you or do you own a company or thirdly will you put in partners name if this is the case only put money in which you are prepared to lose or walk away from. Land purchased should have a Channoot and check to make sure no money is owed on this important paper if in doubt seek advice from a recognized English speaking lawyer. Good luck.

Good points from Ryans Resort. My own inputs for what they are worth:

Point 1. You do not have any right to buy 5 rai of land - foreigners cannot own land in Thailand.

Point 2. 300,000 BHT per rai seems to be the going price for paddy land a few kilometers outside of Surin.

Point 3. The plot in question is 250 meters from the main road - what road access would you have to the plot?

Point 4. If you decide to proceed with the purchase in your girlfriend's name, check and check again that there is a proper Chanoot and verify the Chanoot with the Land Office. Anyone who owns 'titled' land keeps the chanoot (deeds for the land) in their possession. However, around these parts (especially in the villages) too many chanoots have been put in 'hock' by the supposed owner. If the seller cannot show you the chanoot be very, very suspicious - walk away from the deal - something is not right.

Look at getting a smaller plot unless you are an avid gardener/farmer who doesn't mind grafting in Thailands often unbearable heat. If like me you don't, then you will often find yourself paying someone to do the work for you. My house sits on 1 and half Rai and it can be a right pain In the arse.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

All good advice so far, and also consider that if you intend to build on rice paddy land it's going to need to be filled, allowed to settle, filled and allowed to settle, and then allowed to settle again. You will need to have your building plot higher than the rest, for drainage reasons and this takes awhile. The price is not out of the question, but it depends on access...250 meters from the main road could lead to a toll gate access to you..you never know.
The chanote is the most critical. Who really has deed, and who really might have an "interest" in the land. Many are hocked to buy rice to grow, fertilizer to make it grow, whiskey to make it seem like it's growing and gambling to make it grow faster. The information is out there, but the ways of obtaining this information takes some patience and skill, and certainly some help for a farang.
Best of luck, and the best advice so far was "go slow".

mario299

All sound advice so far some very trueful advice in the responses ........proud of you guys not taking the P#ss ....good luck on your adventure....looking for a builder...ATB..

many thanks from Laco

Thank YOU guys! God bless this website, it is very helpfull. Love you all, I will consider all issues you gave me in answers and inform you how we progress in future. Thanks!
One last question - is it possible to buy on girlfriends name and make a lease contract with her for 30 years?

Its worth doing BUT ,if the house is right next door to the rest of the Wife's family and you fall out (split up) would you really want to go on living there ? and bring another woman into the house ,,gulp,, danger ,plus the other woman would not feel comfortable at all.

So my advice dont build or buy land on your Mrs family's door step even if the land off dear Mama is cheap or even free !

Solid advice from ATB ...

Its worth doing BUT ,if the house is right next door to the rest of the Wife's family and you fall out (split up) would you really want to go on living there ? and bring another woman into the house ,,gulp,, danger ,plus the other woman would not feel comfortable at all. So my advice dont build or buy land on your Mrs family's door step even if the land off dear Mama is cheap or even free ! Solid advice from ATB ...

Very solid and sound advice. I am pretty sure that if the land was next to or even close to the ex-wife's family then there is no way that another Thai lady from a different village (or another part of Thailand) would even contemplate living there - even if the house was a veritable mansion. Therefore, is it worth the time and expense to draw-up a 30 year lease agreement or other legal document? I do not think so. Such an agreement may be worthwhile in a city development to protect your financial investment but not next door to the girlfriend's family.

To answer couple of your questions - the plot is not next or close to any family of my girlfriend (they live in the village 15 km away) there is a dusty road next to the plot and also electricity cables along. The smaller concrete route coming from the main road ending about 100 metres, after that is the dusty road and than again a concrete road from the beginning of the next village (which is about 300 metres from the plot. A collegue of my girlfriend which is living in the village says there is a plan to concrete the dusty road this year. I woul like to ask you guys a question - how much it would be to put a soil for making 2 or 3 rai higher from the grounnd level and prepare the plot for the building site... I would like to thank you all for advice and experiences you share here, it is nice to know there are people who care&share . Laco

I think the going rate is about 10 Baht per truck and they normally charge 20 baht per load for the tractor. Pay a local to sit and count how many loads per day and keep a record also pay them daily.

Whoa...we paid 175 baht per dump truck, which carries about 3 cubic meteNovember 2009 to January 2010 096.jpgrs (I think), then the tractor costs 500/hour and it took two hours to level just shy of one rai. It came to 105 truck loads if I recall correctly. YoJanuary to July 30 2010 063.jpgu are right about the someone keeping track, our guy gave us a ticket for each load to keep count as part of the deal. I'll try tp post some pictures.November 2009 to January 2010 039.jpg

Sorry mate I have fast hands and type quickly also supposed to read 180 baht per truck and 20 Baht for tractor ooops!

350 baht per load of a 5 meter truck including tractor work. Its going take approximately 1000 truck loads for 3 rai. Thats 350,000 baht for 3 rai. This is stander price in my area.

Last edited:
The price for the Dump truck full of soil is dictated by the distance from where they are digging out to your house ,cheapest I heard 100 baht most expediencies (in this area) 400 baht , Kho Sumui 1200 per truck ,

If you can get for 250 or under your doing good !

The price for the Dump truck full of soil is dictated by the distance from where they are digging out to your house ,cheapest I heard 100 baht most expediencies (in this area) 400 baht , Kho Sumui 1200 per truck ,

If you can get for 250 or under your doing good !

Totally agree. Chiang Mai last year was 650 per truck. and BTW for the OP my location for that 350 is Kap Choeng, 60km south of Surin.

Another trick when buying soil for fill.... keep your ear (or someone's ear) to the ground, and find out when someone is digging a fishpond, and therefore has soil they want to get rid of. We waited our chance for a small piece of land we own, and got the fill for 150 per truck.

Very good advice, as I recall the couple of times we filled places were done at the times my lovely wife knew it was best to get the fill, and where to get it.

mario299

Back