Lighting my Man Cave

W

Wombat

My original plan was to build a separate little residence in the backyard consisting of a bedroom and living room where I could escape the kids, wife, her family and get some air con. Financial constraints has forced me to reconsider and have now started to build in a rear pergola. This is a genuine "village build" and on any given day most of the village can be found loitering around the site purporting to be workers. My builder is a local guy who can do everything, weld, render, lay bricks, plumber, electrician. He gets 500 baht per day plus 2 Leos, lunch and cold water, the rest get 300 baht per day and 1 Leo or the equivalent in Thai whiskey.

I have to buy some lights and am after some advice on what to get, as you can see from the photos it is 2 rooms, a bedroom and a living room. Do I get LED lights or something else? The room is going to have a ceiling and will be insulated.

Attachments

• 100_1400.JPG
    100_1400.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1401.JPG
    100_1401.JPG
    834 KB · Views: 16
Once you have decided on lights, light switches and power sockets, make sure you chase the walls for the wiring and plaster over. Surface mounted wiring (the Thai way) looks unsightly. Also wire in power for your aircon.

It depends upon what you intend to do in the living room. If you intend to have a desktop in there, you will need to have sufficient light for the keyboard (I don't!). Wall lights are handy but IMO need to be supplemented by ring fluorescents in the ceiling. For the bedroom I'd have one 10" fluorescent and two "by the bed" reading lights but it would be preferable for all to be controlled from a prone position on the bed.

I believe that Nick will agree with me that you cannot have too many power outlets but they need to be sensibly located.

If you go that way, make sure that you get the fluorescents with the "electronic" starters!

What about a bog?

LED down lighters recessed into the ceiling and controlled with dimmers.

iu

A bank of 8 x 3 pin, earthed wall sockets to the rear of your computer desk and above the desk level.

Additional wall sockets as necessary for fan, TV, media center, vacum cleaner etc.

Computer desk with built in computer:

iu

or

iu

That's not yours is it Nomad? Wasn't like that last time I looked.
BTW, I am getting good to average AFL football coverage via BT1 and Australia Network through iLikeHD and Masked Riot.

That's not yours is it Nomad? Wasn't like that last time I looked.
BTW, I am getting good to average AFL football coverage via BT1 and Australia Network through iLikeHD and Masked Riot.

I wish! Project for the future, build a computer desk like that with all top of the range components. To include Intel Core i7-6700K (15,000), a Radeon 480 graphics card (12,000), water cooling system (2,000), motherboard (10,000), SSDs (10,000) and dual monitors (10,000) for a little more than an Apple Mac (50,000). Of course, reduce the specs and go for last year's models and the price would come down by quite a bit.

iu
iu
iu

I wish! Project for the future, build a computer desk like that with all top of the range components. To include Intel Core i7-6700K (15,000), a Radeon 480 graphics card (12,000), water cooling system (2,000), motherboard (10,000), SSDs (10,000) and dual monitors (10,000) for a little more than an Apple Mac (50,000). Of course, reduce the specs and go for last year's models and the price would come down by quite a bit.

iu
iu
iu
Can you speak English? Strewth, I'm having a hard enough time trying to get power points where I want them.

Back