loft insulation

J

johnb

A friend from tennis lives in one of those townhouses that has a loft area that is not separated from those of neighbours in the block.
Next door but one have a 5 year old who makes a lot of noise early every morning. My firend was asking me about loft insulation for the purposes of sound insulation. Any thoughts on this Alan or any other members with experience.
Is such stuff available here and if so, where?
Thanks in advance.

Problem is Alan, he's in a rented townhouse so can't really start doing major structural alterations. Sorry I should have said that in my initial post. So, any further ideas?

Problem is Alan, he's in a rented townhouse so can't really start doing major structural alterations. Sorry I should have said that in my initial post. So, any further ideas?

Id put up a stud framed wall and use polysterene panels. That could be dismantled in minutes in the unlikely event of a problem.
or you could go down the tawan deang route and use egg-boxes/cartons

Johnb, a relatively cheap and easy solution is available from Global House. I am assuming that your friend has a suspended ceiling made from 60 cm square gypsum panels. Each tile can be lifted up individually to gain access to the roof space above. My solution would be to add 10cm thick, 60 cm square, insulation panels to the upper side of the ceiling panels. These can be stuck on to the existing ceiling panels or just laid flat. If this is insufficient and does not stop the proliferation of noise from the adjoining property, he could add a further layer of rolled insulation matting over the now insulated ceiling tiles. This should reduce the noise level quite considerably. If nothing else this would make for a cooler room and cheaper electricity bills.

Johnb, a relatively cheap and easy solution is available from Global House. I am assuming that your friend has a suspended ceiling made from 60 cm square gypsum panels. Each tile can be lifted up individually to gain access to the roof space above. My solution would be to add 10cm thick, 60 cm square, insulation panels to the upper side of the ceiling panels. These can be stuck on to the existing ceiling panels or just laid flat. If this is insufficient and does not stop the proliferation of noise from the adjoining property, he could add a further layer of rolled insulation matting over the now insulated ceiling tiles. This should reduce the noise level quite considerably. If nothing else this would make for a cooler room and cheaper electricity bills.

Thanks Nomad. Are both the square panels and the insulation matting available from Global House?

Or get the land lord to build a wall , if not any one can pull up a piece of ceiling and drop right in !

My thoughts entirely. I am surprised that there is no kind of barrier between the adjoining apartments / town houses. Landlord should build a wall for security purposes if nothing else. As Ivor said, without some kind of barrier there is nothing to stop neighbours doing some electronic eves dropping or, worst still, having a hidden camera to record the bedroom Olympics.

Back