Lower Northeast plagued by leptospirosis outbreak

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 16 July 2014 (NNT) – Over a hundred people in the lower northeastern region have been diagnosed with leptospirosis this year while health officials are urging the public to take precautions against the disease, which can spread easily in the rainy season.

According to Dr Teerawat Valaisathien, Director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Control 5, which has jurisdiction over Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ram and Surin provinces, as many as 102 cases of leptospirosis have been found in the region since January 1 this year.

Twenty-four infections, including one death, were reported in Nakhon Ratchasima, 16 in Chaiyaphum, 31 in Buri Ram and another 31 in Surin. More infections are likely this year as leptospirosis bacteria usually thrive in the period between the rainy season and early winter.

As farmers make up the majority of the patients, Dr Teerawat advised them to wear rubber boots when wading through water on their farmland, especially if they have open wounds on their legs or feet, and wash themselves every time after coming up from the water.

Medical attention should be sought immediately if such symptoms as fever, headache, red eyes and muscle aches are experienced. Late detection of leptospirosis can result in fatality.

-- NNT 2014-07-16

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 16 July 2014 (NNT) – Over a hundred people in the lower northeastern region have been diagnosed with leptospirosis this year while health officials are urging the public to take precautions against the disease, which can spread easily in the rainy season.

According to Dr Teerawat Valaisathien, Director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Control 5, which has jurisdiction over Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ram and Surin provinces, as many as 102 cases of leptospirosis have been found in the region since January 1 this year.

Twenty-four infections, including one death, were reported in Nakhon Ratchasima, 16 in Chaiyaphum, 31 in Buri Ram and another 31 in Surin. More infections are likely this year as leptospirosis bacteria usually thrive in the period between the rainy season and early winter.

As farmers make up the majority of the patients, Dr Teerawat advised them to wear rubber boots when wading through water on their farmland, especially if they have open wounds on their legs or feet, and wash themselves every time after coming up from the water.

Medical attention should be sought immediately if such symptoms as fever, headache, red eyes and muscle aches are experienced. Late detection of leptospirosis can result in fatality.

-- NNT 2014-07-16

Those are the basic symptoms for a vast array of illness's. Cross your fingers they get their diagnosis right first time!

A friend of mine got this decease it almost killed him, it destroys heart muscle and now he has a pace maker. What they don't say in the article is that it is contracted by coming in to contact with rats urine on an open cut. Normally brushed by grass that has been urinated on. The Thais actually call it Lok Noo Neow. Rats piss decease.

If you like walking bare foot in wet areas DON'T

A friend of mine got this decease it almost killed him, it destroys heart muscle and now he has a pace maker. What they don't say in the article is that it is contracted by coming in to contact with rats urine on an open cut. Normally brushed by grass that has been urinated on. The Thais actually call it Lok Noo Neow. Rats piss decease.

If you like walking bare foot in wet areas DON'T

I remember seeing a family friend last year, a few weeks into recovery. Luckily for her she was young and fit, but it knocked her for six.

I remember seeing a family friend last year, a few weeks into recovery. Luckily for her she was young and fit, but it knocked her for six.

My father in law had it last year. He is a farmer. He was in Krasang Hospital for well over a week. He was in intensive care (ie the bed nearest the nurses` room). At least the hospitals here are expecting cases and on the look out. With a bit of luck it is identified early and fatality can be prevented.

A former student of mine in London died from it over there in the UK a few years ago. He was a an oarsman at national level (Andy Holmes). You don´t have to be a poor Thai farmer to come into contact with rat urine. At least, as I said, they are on the look out for it here......which they clearly weren´t in London.

My father in law had it last year. He is a farmer. He was in Krasang Hospital for well over a week. He was in intensive care (ie the bed nearest the nurses` room). At least the hospitals here are expecting cases and on the look out. With a bit of luck it is identified early and fatality can be prevented.

A former student of mine in London died from it over there in the UK a few years ago. He was a an oarsman at national level (Andy Holmes). You don´t have to be a poor Thai farmer to come into contact with rat urine. At least, as I said, they are on the look out for it here......which they clearly weren´t in London.

Commonly known as Weil's disease in the UK.

Still have signs up in Kap Choeng warning the farmers to take precaution. Year before it killed two people in KC.

An outbreak of "something" has occurred in our area, I say something as my wife does not know the English word for it.
The kindergarten classes in my kids school have been shut down till at least Monday.
The symptoms are small sores in the mouth and feet as well as sickness. It sounds like foot and mouth disease but I doubt it. Apparently it comes from Cambodia. An adult in her 40s and a young girl are confirmed cases.
My wife tells me our 3 year old daughter caught it in Pattaya last year while I was in Australia working, she got cured at Bangkok Pattaya hospital.
Anyone know what this is?

Hand Foot and Mouth disease (HMFD)

This Disease is very rampant in Cambodia. It spreads often into Surin.

HFMD virus is contagious and infection is spread from person to person by direct contact with nose and throat discharges, saliva, fluid from blisters, or the stool of infected persons. Infected persons are most contagious during the first week of the illness, but the period of communicability can last for several weeks (as the virus persists in stool).
HFMD is not transmitted to or from pets or other animals.
Who is at risk for HFMD?

Everyone who has not already been infected is at risk of infection, but not everyone who is infected becomes ill.
HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old, but most commonly in children younger than 5 years of age. Younger children tend to have worse symptoms.
Children are more likely to be susceptible to infection and illness from these viruses, because they are less likely than adults to have antibodies and be immune from previous exposures to them. Most adults are immune, but cases in adolescents and adults are not unusual.

Lepto is rampant in NZ as well...usually caused by coming in contact with cattle urine and most likely is a cause here too.

An outbreak of "something" has occurred in our area, I say something as my wife does not know the English word for it.
The kindergarten classes in my kids school have been shut down till at least Monday.
The symptoms are small sores in the mouth and feet as well as sickness. It sounds like foot and mouth disease but I doubt it. Apparently it comes from Cambodia. An adult in her 40s and a young girl are confirmed cases.
My wife tells me our 3 year old daughter caught it in Pattaya last year while I was in Australia working, she got cured at Bangkok Pattaya hospital.
Anyone know what this is?

Rice has told you what it is in one. A couple of weeks ago my younger daughter went to school (kindergarten 2) on Monday morning. When I picked her up in the afternoon she told me no more school that week. There had been an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease and 1000 children from Kindergarten 1 and 2 were sent home for the rest of the week while they disinfected/sanitized the area. My eldest daughter continued going to the same school although she is in Year 3. That was the big Anubarnsurin School, in the center of Surin Town.

Hand Foot and Mouth disease (HMFD)

This Disease is very rampant in Cambodia. It spreads often into Surin.

HFMD virus is contagious and infection is spread from person to person by direct contact with nose and throat discharges, saliva, fluid from blisters, or the stool of infected persons. Infected persons are most contagious during the first week of the illness, but the period of communicability can last for several weeks (as the virus persists in stool).
HFMD is not transmitted to or from pets or other animals.
Who is at risk for HFMD?

Everyone who has not already been infected is at risk of infection, but not everyone who is infected becomes ill.
HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old, but most commonly in children younger than 5 years of age. Younger children tend to have worse symptoms.
Children are more likely to be susceptible to infection and illness from these viruses, because they are less likely than adults to have antibodies and be immune from previous exposures to them. Most adults are immune, but cases in adolescents and adults are not unusual.

My mates two boys have just come out of hospital with Foot and Mouth in Khon Kean.

Back