Major Work Underway at Airport

Coffee

You chose a custom title
An Isaan civil engineer's "wet dream" come true.
Major work well underway apparently for air field, runway, roadwork, parking and apparently a new terminal building to boot.

Parking was a breeze and the terminal was basically empty this morning.
I surmise they are preparing for an exciting future following Covid.

For the cynics possibly they're just squandering government funds and lining pockets.
Same as many economic relief and stimulis packages elsewhere globally.

It has long been muted that Buriram airport was to become 'international'.
I believe it is, or was at one point, designated an international airport. I think they had one or two flights into southern China a week from Buriram airport. May not be the case now.

There are members on this site who occasionally post in a thread which bears no relationship to their post. Not that I'm accusing @Coffee of that.

Wud my OP be in the relevent topic section under Surrounding Areas/ Buriram in your estimate ?

Nick, what were your findings, perspectives or commentary relating to the OP ?
In the end I did not go. Late morning my daughter called to say her boyfriend was picking her up at the airport.

I did ask her how the airport and car parking area compared to the last time she used it, and she said she noticed nothing different.

I liked it the way it was/used to be. Freaking changing everything for the worse in this country. I'm still getting over the demolition of the old "cattle markets" opposite Big C in Pattaya North.

Old farts usually abhor any change to their status quo.
It's always paradise "until the next neighbor moves in"...or builds.

The futbòl stadium and the BRIC surely have added to supporting Buriram's economy ...(while lining Nawin & friends pockets).

Better visit Phanon Rung before it's overrun by the maddening hordes.

Just wait until Xi, kommies and company finish damming up the Mekong.

:cool:

Old farts usually abhor any change to their status quo.
It's always paradise "until the next neighbor moves in"...or builds.

The futbòl stadium and the BRIC surely have added to supporting Buriram's economy ...(while lining Nawin & friends pockets).

Better visit Phanon Rung before it's overrun by the maddening hordes.

Just wait until Xi, kommies and company finish damming up the Mekong.

:cool:
I wish that Surin would upgrade its airport to be a short haul regional carrier transit point. Let Buriram have their 'international' status and the Chinese tourism. We need to use Surin airport for the short hops around Isaan and to and fro to BKK and Patts airport. Extend and repair the runway and chop down the trees surrounding the runway to safely allow small aircraft to use it again. Used to be great to fly to Korat and Bangkok from the old airport. The pols here have no balls or vision.

I wish that Surin would upgrade its airport to be a short haul regional carrier transit point. Let Buriram have their 'international' status and the Chinese tourism. We need to use Surin airport for the short hops around Isaan and to and fro to BKK and Patts airport. Extend and repair the runway and chop down the trees surrounding the runway to safely allow small aircraft to use it again. Used to be great to fly to Korat and Bangkok from the old airport. The pols here have no balls or vision.
Would there be sufficient passengers for short haul flights? I somehow doubt it. Korat tried and were unsuccessful. Not sure how Buriram can manage with just 4 flights a day.

Would there be sufficient passengers for short haul flights? I somehow doubt it. Korat tried and were unsuccessful. Not sure how Buriram can manage with just 4 flights a day.
They don't need daily flights if there isn't enough traffic (there would be if the price was right and it was well advertised) but, as before, flights a couple/few times a week with smaller aircraft. There are certain high traffic days that would work and fill the smaller puddle jumper aircraft. There used to be flights in and out like 3 days a week. Personally, I'd rather do an hour flight to BKK than a 6 hour or more bus ride or train ride. I know you can easily do it from Buriram with an hour's minivan or drive/drop off, but I'd rather see Surin airport open for some business at least taking up some of the more regional traffic - Surin/Ubon, Surin/ Korat, Surin/BKK, Surin/U-Tapao. Etc. The politics played during the short border conflict with Cambodia years ago, where the army took over the Surin airport supposedly for logistic reasons, was complete BS and the gov here was bamboozled by Narin and his army buddies in my opinion.

Back