Makha Bucha Day 2013

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
For those who wonder what today's holiday/holy day is all about. - Mike

Makha Bucha Day 2013

Makha Bucha is one of the most important religious festivals celebrated in Thailand, and is done to venerate the teachings of Buddha. In 2013, Thailand will celebrate this public holiday on the 25th of February which falls on the full moon day of the third month in the lunar calendar. “Makha” is the Thai word for the third Lunar month, while “bucha” means to honor or to venerate.

History of Makha Bucha

Several different sources cite the origins of this day to certain events that occurred in the Buddha’s lifetime. Just nine months after his Enlightenment, 1,250 monks came to see the Buddha without a preset schedule. This gathering gave the Buddha the opportunity to teach them the “Ovādapātimokha” or the principles of Buddhism: do what is good, cease all evil and purify the mind.

In Thailand, these teachings are known as the “Heart of Buddhism”. This gathering occurred on the full moon during the third lunar month.
Another event celebrated during this day occurred 45 years later, shortly before the end of the Buddha’s life. Here, the Buddha gave his final teachings and achieved the final Nirvana or “Parinibbhana” where his spirit or mind is separated from the physical body. This also happened on the full moon day of the the third lunar month.

Makha Bucha Activities

Makha Bucha day is a highly religious festival, one that is strongly observed throughout the country. Buddhists visit temples to pay their respects to the Buddha. Many hear sermons and the teachings of the Buddha, while others use this day to build up their merit by doing good deeds and participating in special events (tum boon). There are also other activities that are slated for this occasion.

Wian Tiam

542.jpg

Candle Light Procession in Bangkok (Photo by Taiger808)

This is a candlelit procession that is held on the eve of Makha Bucha in various temples around Thailand. Monks and other devotees circle these temples in a clockwise direction and carry with them three items: a lighted candle, flowers and a lighted incense stick. These items represent the Three Jewels of Buddhism: the Buddha, his teachings or the Dhamma, and the monkhood or Sangha.

Keeping the Five Precepts

This practice is known as rub sil. This is considered as the basic code of ethics for Buddhism, and many devotees try to follow them as much as they can. These five precepts are:

• To abstain from harming any living thing;
  • To abstain from stealing;
  • To abstain from all intoxicants;
  • To abstain from backbiting, gossip, intrigue, and from telling lies
  • To abstain from sexual immorality
Additionally, several other principles are followed by different Buddhist practices and the wording of each principle varies on tradition.

Celebrations with the Thai King

The King and Head of State of Thailand participates in special ceremonies for Makha Bucha. Some thirty monks are invited to have breakfast at the royal palace, after which they pray and chant mantras of the Buddha’s teachings. Candles of the same number of monks who visited the Buddha all those years ago are lit by the King shortly after. Often, these ceremonies are aired live on television for the faithful to see.

No Alcohol

Tourists should note that while many restaurants and dining establishments around Thailand will be open during Makha Bucha, they most likely will not serve alcoholic beverages. Most bars will also be closed at this time.

State and government office operations are also closed on Makha Bucha day.

More alcohol being sold today in my village than most Mondays - on this very special religious day for Thais.

Out & Out Hypocrites!

More alcohol being sold today in my village than most Mondays - on this very special religious day for Thais.

Out & Out Hypocrites!

If they didn't spend the money on booze it would only be given away tambooning.

My missus forgot to go to the wat today - she says she will pop in tomorrow.

If they didn't spend the money on booze it would only be given away tambooning.

My missus forgot to go to the wat today - she says she will pop in tomorrow.

Why can't they say their prayers from the comfort of their own homes? Methinks they all have Giks at the wats!

Out & Out Hypocrites!

Not hypocrites. Most of the people that were drinking in my village, myself included, aren't fussed about religion. Those that are, usually women, were not drinking.

Many of the youth in my village don't work so I am not sure they even knew it was a holiday.

Thailand is going through the same era now that many western countries went through many years ago. The belief and trust in religion is waning. You only have to look at the assembly lines in schools. The students are not saying the prayers, The younger teachers are not saying the prayers. The older teachers are. That was not happening 15 years ago.

I can remember when religious days were OK for alcohol to be consumed. Fathers' day and Mothers' day were the times you could not drink. The Government have switched to the religious days in an attempt to promote religion.

As with many government initiatives.......too little too late.

IMHO:wink:

Not hypocrites. Most of the people that were drinking in my village, myself included, aren't fussed about religion. Those that are, usually women, were not drinking.

Many of the youth in my village don't work so I am not sure they even knew it was a holiday.

Thailand is going through the same era now that many western countries went through many years ago. The belief and trust in religion is waning. You only have to look at the assembly lines in schools. The students are not saying the prayers, The younger teachers are not saying the prayers. The older teachers are. That was not happening 15 years ago.

I can remember when religious days were OK for alcohol to be consumed. Fathers' day and Mothers' day were the times you could not drink. The Government have switched to the religious days in an attempt to promote religion.

As with many government initiatives.......too little too late.

IMHO:wink:

Totally agree Stevo. So why do the inept government continue with this farce, and lose thousands of tourists into the bargain.

Furthermore for all the bars and clubs that do abide by the law and close -or risk heavy penalties, no consideration is given to the fact that employees lose wages.

Totally agree Stevo. So why do the inept government continue with this farce, and lose thousands of tourists into the bargain.

Furthermore for all the bars and clubs that do abide by the law and close -or risk heavy penalties, no consideration is given to the fact that employees lose wages.

I think you could have made that sentence plural, Nick.:smile:

Back